08-12-2016, 05:01 AM   #1
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
BMW taking on Tesla in US ads

Seen these? Interestingly, it's not the i cars ...

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 02:01 PM   #2
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
I'm excited for the rumored 750hp all electric next generation BMW i8. I hope it gets the green light.

Tesla has done a great job thus far, but they need to work on their interior design layout, materials and then they will be considered a threat to BMW in my book.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 07:43 PM   #3
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf View Post
Tesla has done a great job thus far, but they need to work on their interior design layout, materials and then they will be considered a threat to BMW in my book.
Agreed, except: interior design and materials doensn't win you enough buyers in the US, which is a major market for any manufacturer, obviously. Why do you think it is, that you can still get cars in the US that have all-plastic knobs and green LED radios, like back in the 80s? Or, to move on to other aspects, why can you still get cars with a solid rear axle or rear drumb brakes?

The mass market in the US is quite oblivious to those things, as long as you can claim a big HP number. Which is one of the reasons why the so-called "muscle cars" never had much appeal elsewhere. Too one-dimensional. Tesla, in my view, has been targeting mostly the US market, which is why build quality, interior design, etc. leave much to be desired. If they change that, their appeal outside the US, and with some US buyers, will increase, but most of their home market wouldn't understand. Especially if it comes with a higher price tag. And since with the Model X and the Model 3, they're moving down rathe than up in terms of customer segments, it will only get worse.
Appreciate 1