BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

08-14-2016, 03:12 PM   #23
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

thread closed....

Last edited by YungDro; 12-10-2019 at 07:10 PM..
Appreciate 7
      08-14-2016, 03:59 PM   #24
LT
Second Lieutenant
Alderney
Rep
Drives: Black 07 e90

What Dro said...
      08-14-2016, 04:19 PM   #25
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungDro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daaaadadundun View Post
Seriously? You seriously think this is true? You do know we're talking about BMW right? The company that's effectively owned by bean counters who are there to please the shareholders. Seeing as the sales numbers are slumping and the i3 is waaay to expensive for what it is. I wouldn't be surprised they scrap the i8 all together. Maybe the whole i sub-brand is in doubt because I am not seeing any follow up on that part of the company.

Even if they continue with the i8 no way in hell are they going for 750 hp. More like 450 or something like that. Let's not forget it's not a company of revolution but evolution.

BMW should start getting it's act together. Mercedes is about to knock them of the top spot because of an exciting line up and the dominance in F1. What exciting stuff does BMW have? A M4 GTS...and hybrid sportscar that's compared to it's competition average at best....whoopdidoo. So how are they faring in motorsport? Nothing to write home about.

Seriously BMW take some risks once in a while. Stop being delutional in thinking the M4 is a true competitor for the 911 and make a true competitor. Stop thinking GT3 or DTM have the same marketing value as F1 or WEC. Take the risk you're about to lose out on the competition.
wtf are you even talking about..
Lol
      08-14-2016, 04:48 PM   #26
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsportenterprise
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
750 hp would be fantastic! But hopefully it comes via the combination of a more powerful battery and internal combustion motor (same configuration as the current model only more powerful/efficient). Could rival the Porsche 918 from a performance perspective. Give it some more battery-only range like 40 miles and that would be a winner.

But that won't happen at the current price point. Current model right now is being heavily subsidized by BMW and their dealers (BMW increasing residual, decreasing money factor, adding incentives, and dealers taking losses).

Whatever the new model has in store, I have to imagine that it will look different - primarily the rear in order to improve driver visibility, get larger in order to have a trunk, change the monocoque and dihedral doors so the rest of the general public can actually get in and out of the car without fuss. The current version will retain the significant uniqueness in that regard however looks to be obsolete rather quickly just like any new tech.
The 918 is already many years old...and it's going to take a lot more than 750 hp to rival that level of performance not to mention what will be nearly a generation old car at that point. Plus adding the tech suggested will likely end up in a very heavy car given the i8 currently is not very light considering it doesn't have awd nor the battery power that will be required for nearly 2x the power. Porsche will be continuing to lead the way with the tech they are in the forefront of with the 918 in the Mission E. Plus there will soon be a new halo car which will only take what the 918 was to the next level.
I'm excited to see how the hybrid tech will continue on, particular in more regular cars...the 918 above and beyond all others has lead the way to what this tech will become and it's really something to behold as we move into the future with cars and performance.
I agree that this will not rival the 918. But you said the i8 wasn't AWD. It is powered by a petrol engine moving the rear wheels and an electric motor moving the front. And with all of that technology it is light for a hybrid at 3400lbs. The 918 is at 3600-3700lbs.

But more than likely if this goes to production because of the weight of the batteries, I agree it will probably be a few hundred pounds heavier. But I doubt you will be able to feel it if they add all that torque and tech I to it. A lot of ifs here lol

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 05:02 PM   #27
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

As much as I'd like to see a 100% electric i8, I really don't feel the technology is there yet. That would require a pretty massive battery and that would ruin the balance of a car. Ideally, it would be best to have an S55 powered i8 hybrid that could easily put down 450-600hp and have a very usable range. That would be better than 100% EV with the current battery technology.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 05:33 PM   #28
Motorsportenterprise
Banned
Rep
Drives: Turbo/NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf View Post
I agree that this will not rival the 918. But you said the i8 wasn't AWD. It is powered by a petrol engine moving the rear wheels and an electric motor moving the front. And with all of that technology it is light for a hybrid at 3400lbs. The 918 is at 3600-3700lbs.

But more than likely if this goes to production because of the weight of the batteries, I agree it will probably be a few hundred pounds heavier. But I doubt you will be able to feel it if they add all that torque and tech I to it. A lot of ifs here lol
It always escapes me that the i8 is awd. That's my bad. I've also never really gotten into the car so the fine details of it not my strong suit. Though I could tell you just about any detail of any Porsche or M car.
But yes, totally in agreement that adding that much power, which the title of the thread claims is all electric is going to add a lot of weight. The 918 is around 3700 lbs or 3620 give or take with the weissach package.
The i8 also isn't packing 300 section rubber, a v8 motor and only has one electric motor vs 2 or a lot of the other tech the 918 has and those all add weight. I did see a weight of 3455 for the i8. Still not a light car given it only has a 1.5 liter 3 cylinder and not nearly the electric power output of the 918. This hypothetical car will likely be 3700-3900 lbs.
You don't feel the weight in the 918 but Porsche isn't all electric and that has always plagued cars like the Tesla in handling. Porsche is also a bit more evolved and sophisticated when it comes to suspension tuning but the 918 won't be rivaled by any means. And again, the 918 came out in 2014 with tech from many years before. Porsche has moved on beyond that at this point.

Last edited by Motorsportenterprise; 08-14-2016 at 05:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 06:04 PM   #29
Amgeater2
Major
Rep
Drives: X6M, M8, Mc 600LT, 296GTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluxx3
This is great because now, IMO the i8 is all show and no go. So now it will be all show and all go
I just love how inexperienced and little knowledge you have on the i8 :
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 06:26 PM   #30
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Tesla's top models are around there already no? With the 100-kWH models coming soon too, it'll be interesting to see the new roadster vs new i8
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 06:30 PM   #31
e92miami
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 C300

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
As much as I'd like to see a 100% electric i8, I really don't feel the technology is there yet. That would require a pretty massive battery and that would ruin the balance of a car. Ideally, it would be best to have an S55 powered i8 hybrid that could easily put down 450-600hp and have a very usable range. That would be better than 100% EV with the current battery technology.
I guess you never heard of a little company called Tesla. BMW are light years behind, and the sales show this. BMW/MB belittled Tesla and is now losing sleep on trying to keep up.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 07:29 PM   #32
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Hurry Acura NSX-E might beat you BMWi.

I personally think it's a great decision.

Where are the eDrive Series Cars?

#bornelectric
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 07:48 PM   #33
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsportenterprise
It always escapes me that the i8 is awd. That's my bad. I've also never really gotten into the car so the fine details of it not my strong suit. Though I could tell you just about any detail of any Porsche or M car.
But yes, totally in agreement that adding that much power, which the title of the thread claims is all electric is going to add a lot of weight. The 918 is around 3700 lbs or 3620 give or take with the weissach package.
The i8 also isn't packing 300 section rubber, a v8 motor and only has one electric motor vs 2 or a lot of the other tech the 918 has and those all add weight. I did see a weight of 3455 for the i8. Still not a light car given it only has a 1.5 liter 3 cylinder and not nearly the electric power output of the 918. This hypothetical car will likely be 3700-3900 lbs.
You don't feel the weight in the 918 but Porsche isn't all electric and that has always plagued cars like the Tesla in handling. Porsche is also a bit more evolved and sophisticated when it comes to suspension tuning but the 918 won't be rivaled by any means. And again, the 918 came out in 2014 with tech from many years before. Porsche has moved on beyond that at this point.
You're also forgetting the fact that with an all electric power plant the space vacated by the engine, transmission, fuel tank and associated radiators would be available for battery space. Also note the i8 does have 2 electric motors, just not the kW output of the 918. One more thing of note is that the i8 comes in at roughly 10% of the 918 and La Ferrari price point.

Don't get me wrong, I don't see this unsubstantiated rumor coming to fruition either. That's not the cars purpose in the market currently, or future target. If they hadn't scrapped the i8S plan from a couple of years ago, it could've been a really awesome vehicle.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2016, 08:06 PM   #34
A1PericoM3
Banned
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: F80 MW/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf
Yes very, very exciting indeed. This will equal sub hyper car performance.

The first i8 was like the ship that sailed the entire ocean and proved the world isn't flat. The second one will be like the space ship that took us to the moon, and proved that the sky is not the limit. That we can go much, much further.

Don't you just love innovation, technology and pushing the boundaries of what is believed to be possible? I tell you kids growing up today are growing up in an incredible age.
Damn!!! BMW should pay you for this quote! Should be in the new i8 marketing.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2016, 09:51 PM   #35
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

If they maintain the current price even adjusted to inflation, I'd buy one
      08-14-2016, 10:14 PM   #36
ADest
Registered
Rep
Drives: NA

I'm not really happy to hear this... The I8 in it's current iteration is literally one of a kind. Find me another AWD, 2 Door, 350+ HP, Hybrid vehicle that looks like an alternate Lamborghini skin. There isn't one. Not to mention I've never seen a charging station in my state, and it's the frozen north, so batteries suck here. Honestly, I shouldn't be considering anything with batteries at all, but the i8 has been particularly compelling up until now. I don't really see them completely redoing the car next year... Didn't it take BMW like 2 years to go from announcing the i8 to even releasing it?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 11:15 PM   #37
krautmeister
krrrraaauuuuut
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X Drive M-Sport

Garage List
G12 750i  [0.00]
I realize that the electric is the future but wouldn't you all want a halo 800hp twin turbo v8 snorting and popping wrapped inside a carbon fiber monocoque? You know the poster cars from your childhood where super cars that were intentionally impractical?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 11:57 PM   #38
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1PericoM3
Quote:

The first i8 was like the ship that sailed the entire ocean and proved the world isn't flat. The second one will be like the space ship that took us to the moon, and proved that the sky is not the limit. That we can go much, much further.

Don't you just love innovation, technology and pushing the boundaries of what is believed to be possible? I tell you kids growing up today are growing up in an incredible age.
Damn!!! BMW should pay you for this quote! Should be in the new i8 marketing.
Thanks dude! Hey if they are watching these forums and like it they can use it. I'll take my payment in a new 750hp i8. Lol

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2016, 02:55 AM   #39
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92miami View Post
I guess you never heard of a little company called Tesla. BMW are light years behind, and the sales show this. BMW/MB belittled Tesla and is now losing sleep on trying to keep up.
What an asinine and ignorant comment. BMW is light years ahead of Tesla in terms of automotive build quality and technology. What did Tesla do that is so revolutionary? Popularize EVs? An i3 has more advanced technology in its CF chassis than a Model S. You're an idiot and obviously someone who drinks the Telsa coolaid. All they've managed to do is mass produce EVs and they're not even good at it. Look at the POS Model X for all the proof you need.
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2016, 04:49 AM   #40
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:

I was 99% positive that you were being sarcastic.

I should've knew it better, or should I?
      08-15-2016, 05:26 AM   #41
A1PericoM3
Banned
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: F80 MW/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92miami View Post
What an asinine and ignorant comment. BMW is light years ahead of Tesla in terms of automotive build quality and technology. What did Tesla do that is so revolutionary? Popularize EVs? An i3 has more advanced technology in its CF chassis than a Model S. You're an idiot and obviously someone who drinks the Telsa coolaid. All they've managed to do is mass produce EVs and they're not even good at it. Look at the POS Model X for all the proof you need.
Well said. I speak from the behind the sciences aspect of the EV world and tesla has nothing on BMW in every single aspect of a company. Putting technology in cars with out doing the proper RD so that it doesn't kill people and put others innocent lives at risk!
Appreciate 1
MFNATIK3487.00
      08-15-2016, 12:21 PM   #42
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1PericoM3 View Post
Well said. I speak from the behind the sciences aspect of the EV world and tesla has nothing on BMW in every single aspect of a company. Putting technology in cars with out doing the proper RD so that it doesn't kill people and put others innocent lives at risk!
People kill people, not the technology
Wait till you hear about more crashes from MB, since they just released Drive Pilot, which is a Autopilot-look-a-like.
It's not as stable, reliable or useful, but hey, it made it to production
Sometimes you want to question yourself, is someone final release better than other's beta?

Quote:
What's so advanced about i3?
I think both pack great amount of tech

On the other hand, i'm a bit surprised with the amount of energy i3 requires to get moving
Tesla with almost double the size, the weight, the seats, and triple amount of cargo uses very similar amount of energy

I hope it's as safe as well

Now, back to topic...
It would be great if BMW did full-electric version of i8, but i have doubts
Not sure what the source of the whole article is, however, it would be surprise to me if we saw something sooner than 5 yrs from now

Last edited by AndreyATC; 08-15-2016 at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 12:50 PM   #43
e92miami
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 C300

Quote:
Right, so I guess I'm wrong and so is Motor Trend, Road & Track and Car and Driver writers along with most people in the car industry. But hey, you called me an idiot so YOU must be right...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 02:29 PM   #44
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
What an asinine and ignorant comment. BMW is light years ahead of Tesla in terms of automotive build quality and technology. d.
How many Tesla vehicles have you actually owned and driven on a daily basis?

I have a Tesla Model X P90D (ludicrous) and the technology is far more advanced than anything in any of my current or past BMW's (M6, M4, X6M)... So exactly what technology do you think any BMW is "light years ahead" with? I can make you a very long list of advanced Tech in my MX, but lets see what you got - shall we?

...and as far as materials, design, and build quality goes, I would definitely put Tesla in the same category as BMW.

...and yes, My Model X P90DL is by far the quickest car in my garage! 3.2 secs 0-60 in the family SUV! It'll suck the blood out of the back of your eyeballs when you launch it. ...with groceries in the back. ...and 250 miles of range. The i8 is only good for 4.2 seconds and definitely no groceries...

Tesla has been building cars for years that BMW should have produced in the first place. The i8 is totally impractical and wont even keep up with either the Tesla Model S or X. The i3 has little or no useful range and is not particularly comfortable to drive (albeit a bit more practical).

I love BMW's (I really do), but they simply don't make a compelling or competitive (on any level) EV at the moment... Too little, too late.

Maybe there's hope in the future though... (That's what led me to check in on this thread...)
Appreciate 0