BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

08-17-2016, 09:07 AM   #1
FrannyB
Rep
Drives: 2015 Ionic Silver i8

No European delivery of an i8?

Hi All,

The dealership here said BMW does not support an European delivery for the i8 Has anyone else checked this out? Sounds like it would be pretty sweet! A fun factory tour, a little tootle through the German country side in a super sweet i8. They said it is because it is built in Leipzig... That feels lame to me...

Franny
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 02:20 PM   #2
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

I've also heard they aren't doing ED for i8's, but for a different reason. I was told when the cars first came out that BMW didn't want to hurt the dealerships from getting a decent profit on a high margin car. Not sure if that was the real reason, but one would think that over time, it would be less of a concern.

I too hope they'll do it at some point, as I have my eye on a 2018 model once they do the LCI and would love to take a ED trip with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 04:16 PM   #3
FrannyB
Rep

Wouldn't that be awesome? We are looking at the same thing. A little trip up to Stuttgart, down the Romantic Road, see a few relatives... It would be sweet!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 03:46 PM   #4
megabmw
Private
Rep
Drives: GT 630dx and i3

The real reason for this is the difference in the chargers, on a European delivery you won´t be able to charge your i8. So instead of having unhappy customers, BMW just say no ED on i8.
Appreciate 1
Louv300.50
      08-21-2016, 07:16 PM   #5
CattyT0mboy
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: Tesla Roadster

According to our local dealership they are not really happy to offer customer European Delivery. But they said that all vehicle build in Germany can be offered a European Delivery (Exclude X series, Mini, some 3 series.)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 09:39 AM   #6
FrannyB
Rep

Well, that's actually good news! So, all I need to do is find a dealer that will work with me...

Thanks for that!

Franny
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 02:06 PM   #7
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
I've also heard they aren't doing ED for i8's, but for a different reason. I was told when the cars first came out that BMW didn't want to hurt the dealerships from getting a decent profit on a high margin car. Not sure if that was the real reason, but one would think that over time, it would be less of a concern.

I too hope they'll do it at some point, as I have my eye on a 2018 model once they do the LCI and would love to take a ED trip with it.
That seem like an odd explanation. The sale still comes from the dealer. There's no cash exchange during an ED. It's not a "factory sale", just a different delivery mode. So, I wouldn't expect the dealer to get hurt by it in any significant way.
Appreciate 0