09-03-2012, 10:00 PM   #23
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Ugly....eeeww....yuck....finally sad.
Whr is that x factor of BMW???
Whts this tall box design !!!

Why can't they just put this new technology in a Mini Cooper?

I can understand BMW looking for particular markt, but come on, not this shit.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 10:39 PM   #24
Definitive
definitivecars.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: Elsa - 2015 F80 M3 - YMB/SS

Garage List
Some harsh comments, but I bet half your wifes or girlfriends will want this car. Part of me wants it because I only drive about 3 miles to work everyday, and drive a merc sprinter most days.

Clearly they are still hiding much of the interior of the car. They could even just be using a current steering wheel for testing. The outside of the concept was interesting.

I will reserve my opinion until the final car is revealed.

D
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #25
egg666
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP/YMBlue/Black/MP Kit///

OMG!!! Is that a Kia?

The way I see it, if you're gonna switch to EV and help save our planet, why not do it with some style?

Well...I'll order my Tesla...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 11:26 PM   #26
jaybepr
Enlisted Member
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

No kidney glills????
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 12:45 AM   #27
bcbarker
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i F10 M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Alpine328i
Shame on you BMW you just made BMW look like Kia
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 01:10 AM   #28
Bimmeration
BEEMDUBLEW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' Tesla Model S 85kw

is this a modified scion?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 01:11 AM   #29
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

The interior is cannibalizing many parts from other models still- You can even see how the angle of the dash is not right and they have a plastic piece to indicate where the "wing" of the dash will be. The switches are out of other current models as well.

This is still an extremely early interior, I'd almost compare it to the MINI F56 that was using an F20 interior.

On the outside in real life it looks very similar to the concept- the blue and white swirls do wonders to hide lines. Anyone that thinks this will look like anything currently on the road is not on the right page. This car will be something totally different than the rest.

Most of the models running around now are of range extender variety. They will be plug in and use a small highly efficient generator to recharge the batteries for extended trips. The generator will never be coupled directly to the wheel or power them.

This ReX version is being targeted for the US market and will launch after the fully electric version.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves on pricing and let's be realistic. The Leaf is almost $40k without government money and it is NOT luxurious and NOT made or CFRP or feature any of the creature comforts the i3 will. This is still a premium offering and just like not everyone can afford a BMW they won't be able to afford a BMWi. BMW is in the business of Premium and not econo boxes.

BMW will also be offering a system for BMWi owners to use a traditional fleet if they need access to a car with more range for a trip etc. This may be in the form of monthly vouchers that can be redeemed and is part of the price of entry of the BMWi vehicle- so you won't need to rent a car if you are taking a long trip etc. There will also be other perks coming... This will redefine premium mobility.

I am excited to see this all evolve and can't wait to get one as my DD. Helps offset my carbon use in the M3
      09-04-2012, 01:25 AM   #30
M_Power_Fan
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: the Ring

i like it
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 03:08 AM   #31
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

They can't simply fit this technology to a Mini, the entire car is built totally differently. If they tried, it would be a compromise, and it would be rubbish, and it would still be far to expensive. This will actually have more interior space than the Mini and the 1 series. It's going to be an excellent city car!

Having had a look round the concept car, and seeing the carbon fibre shell I'm not suprised it's the price it is!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 03:24 AM   #32
Paninaro
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power_Fan
i like it
Lol
      09-04-2012, 05:00 AM   #33
nockenpaul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

The center console looks boring und ugly. That's not the futuristic kind of design I hoped for. I fear that the long steering column will also look ugly. In combination with the unseparated foot room (which reminds me of cheap cars like the old Fiat Panda), the interior possibly will not transfer a premium feel but the opposite of it.

Apparently most of BMW's new models don't get applause from the fanbase. I don't agree with negative critics against the 1er Tourer or the 3er GT, I think they will succeed. But the i3 doesn't feel right to me.

Apart form this, I fear that BMW is currently focussing too much on sales volume instead of product quality. Especially the interior quality of new models (X1, 1er, 3er) seems to fall back behind other premium manufacturers. This cost cutting might provide good profits in the present, but it may damage the brand in the long term.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 05:47 AM   #34
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Weird with no clusters.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 06:19 AM   #35
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nockenpaul View Post
The center console looks boring und ugly. That's not the futuristic kind of design I hoped for. I fear that the long steering column will also look ugly. In combination with the unseparated foot room (which reminds me of cheap cars like the old Fiat Panda), the interior possibly will not transfer a premium feel but the opposite of it.

Apparently most of BMW's new models don't get applause from the fanbase. I don't agree with negative critics against the 1er Tourer or the 3er GT, I think they will succeed. But the i3 doesn't feel right to me.

Apart form this, I fear that BMW is currently focussing too much on sales volume instead of product quality. Especially the interior quality of new models (X1, 1er, 3er) seems to fall back behind other premium manufacturers. This cost cutting might provide good profits in the present, but it may damage the brand in the long term.
The purpose of the lack of a center stack is so that a person can easily slide across the front from one seat to another the ease entering and leaving the vehicle in a tight parking location. I wish I had that ability a few times over this past weekend.

The materials will be eco friendly and of high quality they will not be "cheap" this is a prototype that is very very far away from production.

As for your complaints about materials in the current lineup- the F20 and F30 are best in class currently in terms of materials and quality.

The X1 is a previous generation vehicle and is designed for a price point so the materials are not as high but at the same time they are way better than Q3. Have you seen the plastics in the Q3 or A4? They are crap. The only competitor that has better materials is the Range Evoque and that is a new product that has a horrible drivetrain- personally I'd sacrifice some interior quality for a vehicle that has a more robust drivetrain- who wouldn't?

I think people are missing the point with the BMWi cars- they are not for everyone and neither are the Chevy Volt and Nissan Leaf otherwise they would be sold out and have waiting lists. They appeal to a different customer base that is non-traditional.

There are flaws for practicality with everything we drive and these cars are designed for tomorrow and not today. Try living in Munich and finding a spot to park that will allow four doors to open on a crowded day- its not happening.
      09-04-2012, 06:38 AM   #36
the /// kid
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

And now enter the hybrid era. Sorry guys but this is the future I know it's sad to say but I can guarantee no one is Gunna make a cooler small car that is ugly as satans ass cheeks then BMW. These types of cars are never really aesthetically pleasing but their functionality is unmatched when coming to the fuel economy and the technological capabilities
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 07:33 AM   #37
M_GmbH
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 2012 e92 ZCP - Space Grey

Garage List
"zero emissions"? How do you charge the batteries, magic?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 08:54 AM   #38
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

The interior of both the i3 and i8 are both inherited from the concepts.
The big issue to understand is that they have been reconfigured to provide a more realisitic functionality such as proper air-con vents and switchgear.
Both the i8 and i3 will provide that functionality with individual interior trim that will give the interiors that special "Concept car" look.
BMW i will offer the i3 and i8 with customer personalisation options so the customer can make it their own. It wont go as far as the MINI but will be exclusively BMW i.

The interior of the i3 is actually very much the concept cars with the huge shelf space in the middle and floating screen which is hidden under the cloth at the upper centre of the dash. As shown here you can see how different the switchgear is from regular BMW models.
The i3 will also be a very flexible concept in terms of space .
      09-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #39
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

I love the the Blue and White Swirly Paint Sceme, I hope they offer it. Just kidding.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #40
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

That cloth interior and the tacked on switch gear looks terrible. No way in hell I'm paying more than 25k for this thing.

Now, change that weird frayed cloth on the dash from dull black to something in Tartan and I'll happily fork over an extra 10k no problem.

I also don't like the blue cladding on the outside. Is there an option to change it to Tartan as well?

The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #41
cjwb1984
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW Z4 Sdrive35i

It's interesting that BMW remained relatively faithful to the design of the interior in the concept.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #42
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
aerodynamics and aesthetics are at odds, look at the prius, it looks like a cheese wedge for a reason - to cut through the air. The sell will be when this car gets cool blue LEDs and touches, and when it gets 60 - 80 MPG US hybrid and effectively 120+ MPG full electric. That's the new bragging right

Last edited by antzcrashing; 09-05-2012 at 09:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #43
Gras
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: F20 116i, Urban, Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCali View Post
LOLOLOLOL at concept versus production. The concept was amazing. The production looks like the same old boringness.
This is worse than boring. It's boring and ugly!
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #44
JJFESQ
Big Poppa
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 3.5i AW/Mocha

Garage List
2014 535xi  [0.00]
Why would I buy this over a Prius?