BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

07-22-2014, 02:01 PM   #23
Arezzo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW M5, 2018 Carrera T

[QUOTE=Arezzo;16334247]Carac,
I am really amazed you think I am trolling. It's BMW i8 Configuration update. Bulletin V-10721-01EV from Jacob Herb. Manager BMW i
Here it is
Attached Images
File Type: pdf doc08475720140722110241.pdf (375.9 KB, 168 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 02:13 PM   #24
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

I can now add to this conversation that I just spoke to a contact I have at BMWNA and he confirmed that the situation is as explained. He went on to add that my car, being one of the very first U.S. cars in production, is not affected and is being produced with the Pure Impulse package. How ironic is it that one of the few people who may prefer the Tera World is actually getting the rare Pure Impulse World. I haven't decided yet, but may explore with my dealer if there is another dealership in the SoCal region that would be getting a Crystal White Pearl with the Tera World who would want to swap with my car.

Never a dull moment in the i8 world.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 02:17 PM   #25
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
[QUOTE=Arezzo;16334369]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arezzo View Post
Carac,
I am really amazed you think I am trolling. It's BMW i8 Configuration update. Bulletin V-10721-01EV from Jacob Herb. Manager BMW i
Here it is
Sorry, it's not you, it's my disbelief that they would completely cancel all Pure Impulse orders...and they didn't (not definitely, anyway.) The wording of the bulletin is vague but implies that some cars ARE being built with Pure Impulse but they can't "meet demand" and 163 of August/Sept production orders need to be changed to Tera. Again, I hope the fact that mine is in production and that my salesman hasn't been contacted means that I made the cut.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #26
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Well I guess the bulletin explains why some people are seeing this and some are not. If BMW has identified 163 specific orders, it makes sense that this bulletin may only be distributed to dealers whose orders are affected.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 03:40 PM   #27
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Just got off the phone with my dealership and the bulletin posted here doesn't appear in their system and my production status is still 150 with an estimated completion date of Aug 14th. He hasn't been contacted and said if there was a problem with mine that the status would change to a holding code awaiting modification. Crossed fingers nothing happens to any more grey leather sets.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 12:37 AM   #28
StuM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8 Protonic Blue/Pure Impulse/

Garage List
Pure Impulse bulletin

Folks, this is no joke. As some have now seen, the bulletin is real and published yesterday. Sorry I wasn't comfortable publishing more yesterday.
The whole thing really screws not only us, with firm orders, but also the dealers re their 2014-2015 allocations. I have not heard from my dealer yet and have a December build projection. (blue, pure impulse, turbine's).
I'm trying to accurately determine the exact option pkg (Worlds) differences between the PI and Tera Worlds, in order to decide if I will try to accept a car this year, of defer to 2015.
It really chaffs me that first BMW tried to force their specified World packages on us and now, says, "oops, sorry, now you must take a different pkg or move to a slot next year". Neither of which some us may have really wanted. Talk about a poorly run circus for all involved.
Maybe Acura will formally announce the new NSX details and timing and I'll have a true option!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 08:19 AM   #29
Arezzo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Tera World was my first choice before being forced to accept Pure Impulse, I got to like PI then whoops like a toy taken away you miss it.
Now I am back to TW and saving $7,000 on MSRP.
TW is a Dalbergia Brown (olive brown ) with blue stitching, blue belts and some fabric around the top of the headrests. It is matched with Carum Grey central tunnel and door inserts. In my opinion a distinctive combination which will stand up to daily driving better than PI. Many of the unique items in PI will be available as parts like the leather engine cover ( but really who wants such a cover outside the driver compartment ).
The other thing to consider is that 2015 models will see a price hike. Will BMW honor 2014 prices on delayed orders ?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 08:36 AM   #30
ddk632
United_States
Rep

The Crystal White i8 that I saw and photographed on 3 separate occasions last year had the Tera World interior. It was very nice, especially paired with the white. I also think it can go nicely with the Protonic Blue. I for one like the blue BMW i accent on the steering wheel which I believe only comes with the Tera World interior.

That car had an anthracite headliner though. The lack of one, meaning I imagine you're getting a grey headliner with 2014 Tera world cars, is where I'd be disappointed a bit since the anthracite headliner really gives the interior a sporty feel to it. My X6M has anthracite headliner with Mugello Red full leather and I've really come to appreciate the feel of the car with this headliner color.

It baffles me (more so than this whole ordeal) that the anthracite headliner is not available since BMW offers anthracite headliner in so many of their M cars and regular series cars with M Sport packages.

The Pure Impulse World also comes with anthracite headliner, so perhaps BMW is allotting their apparently limited supply to all of the Pure Impulse orders outside of these 163 which have to take Tera.

@Arezzo interesting point about price hike. I imagine most pre-order contracts are for "MSRP" and if MSRP goes up so does the contract along with it.

Btw there are pieces in Pure Impulse that I think will not be available as parts, most notably the i8 stitching in headrests and the ceramic gear shift lever. I can see the door sills, engine cover, etc., being available as separate items though, but those two for me (along with the rest) make the PI worth it.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 09:22 AM   #31
Arezzo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

QUOTE The Pure Impulse World also comes with anthracite headliner, so perhaps BMW is allotting their apparently limited supply to all of the Pure Impulse orders outside of these 163 which have to take Tera.QUOTE

Looking at the Autocar test car and various brochure for Tera World which have dark headlining , despite anthracite being a specific upgrade to the TW spec as in UK Pounds 295, maybe there is a different dark fabric standard ?
Enough speculation, let's go back to the real world. I am off to Sept 2 Munich to pick up an ED M4 and then to F1 Monza.
Now those are real hybrids !

Last edited by Arezzo; 07-23-2014 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: sp
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 09:24 AM   #32
KKSigs
M4 CSL FBG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL FBG

I was one of the allocations affected. Opted to wait till next year 1st quarter, to get exactly what I want. Also then have the opportunity to get the laser lights if available.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 07:12 PM   #33
ddk632
United_States
Rep

BMWBlog has this on their site now:
http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/07/23/bm...se-i8-leather/

Someone I know has a Crystal White w/Tera on order (the order was secured long before this debacle came out with the shortage, specced Tera World from the beginning, despite the near ubiquitous status of Pure Impulse orders for 2014 MY cars) and his order has already been in 112 status for some time. With anthracite headliner.

Looks like some early orders are likely to make it out intact. His car was already in production when the bulletin came out, so for those in the same boat, I think that plus not having heard from your dealer by now, is a good sign that your car isn't affected.

What's interesting is that particular dealer has other allocations which were affected and are being pushed to Tera from Pure Impulse. Not sure how BMW is choosing which 163 cars to push back.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #34
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arezzo View Post
Looking at the Autocar test car and various brochure for Tera World which have dark headlining , despite anthracite being a specific upgrade to the TW spec as in UK Pounds 295, maybe there is a different dark fabric standard ?
Enough speculation, let's go back to the real world. I am off to Sept 2 Munich to pick up an ED M4 and then to F1 Monza.
Now those are real hybrids !
Yeah agreed it's all speculation; hopefully you're right.
Congrats on the M4 btw, ED + F1 sounds like a good time!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 07:42 PM   #35
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
BMWBlog has this on their site now:
http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/07/23/bm...se-i8-leather/

Someone I know has a Crystal White w/Tera on order (the order was secured long before this debacle came out with the shortage, specced Tera World from the beginning, despite the near ubiquitous status of Pure Impulse orders for 2014 MY cars) and his order has already been in 112 status for some time. With anthracite headliner.

Looks like some early orders are likely to make it out intact. His car was already in production when the bulletin came out, so for those in the same boat, I think that plus not having heard from your dealer by now, is a good sign that your car isn't affected.

What's interesting is that particular dealer has other allocations which were affected and are being pushed to Tera from Pure Impulse. Not sure how BMW is choosing which 163 cars to push back.
David, I'm surprised to hear that someone got a Tera order through (before the recent developments), since in my case, I had the Tera order initially secured and it was then changed to Pure Impulse before it started production. I'm now trying to see if I can swap my PI car for another car that will get Tera World.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 08:02 PM   #36
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
David, I'm surprised to hear that someone got a Tera order through (before the recent developments), since in my case, I had the Tera order initially secured and it was then changed to Pure Impulse before it started production. I'm now trying to see if I can swap my PI car for another car that will get Tera World.
It was a very early order from what I understand. But it seems they are out there. It was very likely pre-specced for that dealer as a launch car, since the order was in 112 status before order banks officially opened. That being said it's likely not the only such car.

Regardless,

I think your best bet if you're not part of the bulletin (since the bulletin would be giving you exactly what you want, ironically) is to have your dealer swap your allocation with one of the 163 that is slated for Tera world, which should be possible.

I doubt any dealer will give up their launch car or first allocation, but surely there's gotta be a way to get a hold of BMW's list of those 163 and make a swap. Surely, at least one of those 163 people (we don't know how many of them are named orders, of course) would prefer to get a car this year and want the Pure Impulse World.

On a side note,

How is your search to get the order changed going?

I was half-humorously yet half-seriously thinking, Jacob Harb's phone number was on the bulletin, I think - maybe even call him directly and explain the situation. I met him, he's pretty down to Earth. He may decide to help or get you in with the right people who can help.

Calling BMWNA will be useless since they are just a distributor and don't really handle the manufacturing side of things. They were not aware of the bulletin at all when I called the other day.

This is something that has to be handled via BMW proper and your dealer. I hope you get it sorted out.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 12:09 AM   #37
StuM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8 Protonic Blue/Pure Impulse/

Garage List
No forced change in my order yet

Went in to meet with my dealer today. I have an original 12/14 build target and as of today, my order still shows my original spec with PI package and Carum Spice Gray interior. I am his #4 2014 allocation order out of four total.
He checked the system several different ways, as I looked over his shoulder. So I'm hopeful that they won't force a change on my order. I think, at this time, I'll still take my car, either way, rather than defer to 1Q15 and the new unknowns regarding that change. (timing, options, price increases, etc)
As suspected, he was very perplexed by what BMW is doing with this whole affair.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 11:24 AM   #38
Arezzo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Tera World Update

News !
The Tera World includes anthracite headliner.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf doc08504420140724110218.pdf (1.25 MB, 96 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 12:20 PM   #39
ddk632
United_States
Rep

I wonder if they changed it because of all this fiasco. The official ordering guide doesn't list anthracite headliner as part of Tera world. Anyway, it's a good thing!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #40
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Don't think the change was related to the PI shortage problem because when I originally got my order confirmed for the Tera World interior, it listed option 4AA (Headliner in Anthracite) included at N/C as part of the Tera package.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 01:35 PM   #41
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Interesting. Maybe the ordering guide is incomplete or - just as likely - I might have missed it.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 06:27 PM   #42
KKSigs
M4 CSL FBG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL FBG

Got a new allocation with October production. Impulse world package accepted. Hopefully it stays that way
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 11:40 AM   #43
Arezzo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Back to Pure Impulse

My order, originally Pure Impulse was changed by BMWNA to Tera World which I accepted now today it is back to Pure Impulse !. Status 150. LOL !
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 11:50 AM   #44
ddk632
United_States
Rep

I think it was aliens. They had no use for these earthly materials, and safely returned the truck with the missing 163 sets of Carum Spice Grey leather upholstery to BMW.

That, or BMW has obtained extra cows to meet demand.

Appreciate 0