BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

03-16-2018, 02:38 PM   #1
ImGoingPlaces
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: AMG GTS

Check Engine Light

gas tank would not open yesterday and now i have a check engine light, smh. opened it manually from the trunk but im kinda bummed bc i just got this thing and i already have to bring it in.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 03:52 PM   #2
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGoingPlaces View Post
gas tank would not open yesterday and now i have a check engine light, smh. opened it manually from the trunk but im kinda bummed bc i just got this thing and i already have to bring it in.
Mine did the same thing last week. Gas lid door wouldn't open at all. And the trunk release wouldn't open it either. I ended up removing the gas lid door cover, then carefully prying the actual gas door open to reveal the gas cap to refill. What a PAIN IN THE ASS!!!

Then when refueling, it would not allow the gas to fill in one shot. Kept stopping. I assume due to too much pressure in the tank triggering the fuel gun to think it's full. After a hundred clicks of stop/go fueling, the check engine light came on.

The next day I tried the gas door release button and it opened without any issues. About 5 days later the check engine light went away.

Strange...
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 03:54 PM   #3
ImGoingPlaces
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto2315 View Post
Mine did the same thing last week. Gas lid door wouldn't open at all. And the trunk release wouldn't open it either. I ended up removing the gas lid door cover, then carefully prying the actual gas door open to reveal the gas cap to refill. What a PAIN IN THE ASS!!!

Then when refueling, it would not allow the gas to fill in one shot. Kept stopping. I assume due to too much pressure in the tank triggering the fuel gun to think it's full. After a hundred clicks of stop/go fueling, the check engine light came on.

The next day I tried the gas door release button and it opened without any issues. About 5 days later the check engine light went away.

Strange...

So maybe ill leave it alone and see if it clears too, i dont want to bring it in
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 04:09 PM   #4
vance
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

You’ll have to bring it in. Mine did it off and on for a bit, then eventually started doing it all the time. They replaced the fuel pressure sensor and another part called fuel sender or something along those lines.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 04:10 PM   #5
ImGoingPlaces
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vance View Post
You’ll have to bring it in. Mine did it off and on for a bit, then eventually started doing it all the time. They replaced the fuel pressure sensor and another part called fuel sender or something along those lines.
how long did they have your car?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 08:58 PM   #6
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Mine did it again today. Had to pry the gas door open again to refuel. No check engine light though. Will have my shop foreman look at it because it's getting annoying
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 08:59 PM   #7
ImGoingPlaces
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

My gas tank opened up fine today and the check engine light went away after about a day.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 05:45 AM   #8
vance
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
how long did they have your car?
2 days. Would’ve been one if they weren’t backed up on the I-certified technicians
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 09:48 AM   #9
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My gas tank opened up fine today and the check engine light went away after about a day.
How much fuel is left in your tank when you opened it without an issue?

I only encounter this issue when I have less than a quarter of a tank and I need to refill because I am low. I don't have an issue when I have plenty of fuel in the tank...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 11:34 AM   #10
ImGoingPlaces
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto2315 View Post
Quote:
How much fuel is left in your tank when you opened it without an issue?

I only encounter this issue when I have less than a quarter of a tank and I need to refill because I am low. I don't have an issue when I have plenty of fuel in the tank...
I had the same epiphany last night, I went to refuel again with one bar left, same issue. When I attempted to open the tank a couple days ago with about a half a tank left, it opened just fine. I guess I have to start refueling at the 1/3 level
Appreciate 0