02-13-2024, 07:42 AM   #45
Windshieldfarmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickyfehmleh View Post
Oh boy.

My car was at the dealership for 99 days during which time the dealership refused to respond to emails and phone calls for 25 of those days. I had to troll BMW on Twitter to get any sort of response. When the dealership finally admitted it was a warranty issue, BMW effectively told me to go pick up my car — they refused to discuss a buyback or any sort of compensation for the 3 months I had been paying for a vehicle I couldn't use due to a manufacturing defect.

To top it all off, the dealership billed me for work they didn't complete and lost my vehicle registration.
Were you able to get resolution via LL?
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2024, 10:50 AM   #46
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Quote:
Oh boy.

My car was at the dealership for 99 days during which time the dealership refused to respond to emails and phone calls for 25 of those days. I had to troll BMW on Twitter to get any sort of response. When the dealership finally admitted it was a warranty issue, BMW effectively told me to go pick up my car -- they refused to discuss a buyback or any sort of compensation for the 3 months I had been paying for a vehicle I couldn't use due to a manufacturing defect.

To top it all off, the dealership billed me for work they didn't complete and lost my vehicle registration.
Have you contacted an attorney? Sounds to me like you need to be made whole.
Appreciate 2
      02-13-2024, 11:34 AM   #47
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
Oh boy.

My car was at the dealership for 99 days during which time the dealership refused to respond to emails and phone calls for 25 of those days. I had to troll BMW on Twitter to get any sort of response. When the dealership finally admitted it was a warranty issue, BMW effectively told me to go pick up my car -- they refused to discuss a buyback or any sort of compensation for the 3 months I had been paying for a vehicle I couldn't use due to a manufacturing defect.

You should have immediately filed a Lemon Law request via an attorney after 30 days of such terrible treatment.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2024, 07:06 AM   #48
Barry123
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW iX50

Got al call from the shop that the missing part is now somewhere in IL, their US part distribution center, and should be arriving any day now. It's about time!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 08:21 AM   #49
SteVTEC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i vert

Sorry to hear about your issues, but issues like these are hardly isolated to BMWs these days. Yes, covid messed a lot of things up that are still an issue today, and yet more pointless wars are also affecting things. It's definitely going to be worse on something like an iX, though.

If it makes you feel any better, my 2018 Chevy Suburban was out of service for a few weeks last year due to a stuck open thermostat. Wouldn't think it would be a big deal to replace, but the part had been massively backordered and still to this day is difficult if not impossible to find. GM strikes were part of it, but not the whole picture. Aftermarket thermostats were available, but were considered unreliable and you'd just need to replace them again within a year or two. Finally found a genuine GM part off of eBay from some guy who had full water pump assemblies which included the thermostat, and was splitting them off and selling them and got the truck back on the road.

It was an unbelievable amount of hassle just for a --thermostat-- for a Chevy-freaking-Suburban with a small block Chevy V8, one of the most mass produced engines in history, in the United States of America. What in the world???
      04-24-2024, 06:37 PM   #50
Barry123
First Lieutenant
Rep

FINALLY got my car back, after almost 5 months. BMW's customer support is truly horrible.
      04-24-2024, 09:21 PM   #51
ok31
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '24 iX 50

So I just had my is go in for a replacement CCU but got a loaner which is a much better solution for me. They can keep the iX as long as they want, I’ll enjoy the heck out of an X7 M60. If they didn’t give you a comparable loaner the. I can understand the frustration.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 11:43 PM   #52
drbluedevil
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX60-2024

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry123 View Post
FINALLY got my car back, after almost 5 months. BMW's customer support is truly horrible.
I sideswiped a low-lying pole in 2022 with my iX…my first at-fault event in decades. The minor cosmetic damage took 2 months and $8k to fix. I then was rear-ended last year, and the repair took >6 months. Why don’t I give a clear timeline? Because when the responsible party’s insurance was nearing the limit, and with no clear end in sight, I gave up and traded it in….for another iX. I’m with Deutsch100….i live in daily fear of that glass roof getting damaged. Problem is there’s no other car I know of than the iX that checks all of the following boxes: quiet interior with high quality fit and finish, extremely smooth ride, 3-second-club acceleration, suv size/height, and hands-free ADAS that actually works. (If you know of one, let me know!)
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2024, 01:16 PM   #53
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbluedevil View Post
I sideswiped a low-lying pole in 2022 with my iX…my first at-fault event in decades. The minor cosmetic damage took 2 months and $8k to fix. I then was rear-ended last year, and the repair took >6 months. Why don’t I give a clear timeline? Because when the responsible party’s insurance was nearing the limit, and with no clear end in sight, I gave up and traded it in….for another iX. I’m with Deutsch100….i live in daily fear of that glass roof getting damaged. Problem is there’s no other car I know of than the iX that checks all of the following boxes: quiet interior with high quality fit and finish, extremely smooth ride, 3-second-club acceleration, suv size/height, and hands-free ADAS that actually works. (If you know of one, let me know!)
Get the glass roof covered with the XPel Ultimate film designed for it, installed by a competent PPF film installer. You’ll sleep better at night:

https://www.xpel.com/Roof-Kit-ULTIMATE-PLUS_732
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2024, 02:45 PM   #54
drbluedevil
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
Get the glass roof covered with the XPel Ultimate film designed for it, installed by a competent PPF film installer. You’ll sleep better at night:

https://www.xpel.com/Roof-Kit-ULTIMATE-PLUS_732
It’s a good idea, but on general principle I refuse to spend $1k on the film and probably another x dollars in labor to install this and then pay them again one day to remove it before turning the vehicle in at lease end. I’ll just wing it and hope that future vehicles are built with repairability in mind. This car is criminally irreparable.
Appreciate 1
Kennethjk145.00
      04-25-2024, 06:20 PM   #55
LuisBoston
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 128i, '23 iX M60

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [8.83]
2023 BMW iX M60  [9.50]
2007 328xi  [8.75]
Quote:
It’s a good idea, but on general principle I refuse to spend $1k on the film and probably another x dollars in labor to install this and then pay them again one day to remove it before turning the vehicle in at lease end. I’ll just wing it and hope that future vehicles are built with repairability in mind. This car is criminally irreparable.
At least it doesn’t have gull wing doors. Or a stainless steel exterior.

I just wish it had a regular old operable panoramic moonroof. Not sure why all these makes followed Tesla down the single pane glass roof rabbit hole. It’s annoying.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897862
Appreciate 2
      04-25-2024, 06:57 PM   #56
Windshieldfarmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisBoston View Post

I just wish it had a regular old operable panoramic moonroof. Not sure why all these makes followed Tesla down the single pane glass roof rabbit hole. It’s annoying.
I would be fine with a steel roof…a panoramic roof adds little benefit, if any.

Hey BMW, let’s trade out that expensive roof and replace it with a few more standard features like memory seats, better seats, rear seat heaters, and return to standard air suspension.
Appreciate 2
      04-25-2024, 07:08 PM   #57
LVBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60 '23 Tesla Model Y-P

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windshieldfarmer View Post
I would be fine with a steel roof…a panoramic roof adds little benefit, if any.

Hey BMW, let’s trade out that expensive roof and replace it with a few more standard features like memory seats, better seats, rear seat heaters, and return to standard air suspension.
Must be a market based decision since panorama is standard in the U.S. and optional in Europe. I personally love the glass roof, but to each their own. The glass is always greener on the other side.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2024, 07:27 PM   #58
drbluedevil
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Totally agree with you. A quick google/reddit search shows all Tesla models cost somewhere between $800-1500 for a glass roof replacement, while I’ve seen people post about the job costing $15k and requiring disassembly of half the damn vehicle for the iX.

I’m with you 100%. A standard roof would suit me just fine, but if they’re gonna foist glass on us, I prefer simple glass that’s easily and (relatively) inexpensively replaced. It’s unconscionable that the part (no labor) costs $9k and is so difficult to install….all in the name of being able to press a non-button to make it go from milky to milkier. Yippie. But you know what? I’ll accept a roof made of interlocking rattlesnakes if it means I get physical hvac buttons back.
Appreciate 2
      04-26-2024, 02:47 PM   #59
unmesh59
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S

Only a few weeks into our iX lease but these posts have us worried.

Is there an "insurance" policy that would cover the glass roof?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 02:50 PM   #60
exxxviii
Captain
Rep
Drives: ix xDrive50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by unmesh59 View Post
Is there an "insurance" policy that would cover the glass roof?
Yes. Your comprehensive insurance coverage is exactly what covers this.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 02:57 PM   #61
unmesh59
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S

Quote:
Originally Posted by exxxviii View Post
Yes. Your comprehensive insurance coverage is exactly what covers this.
Whew! We carry comprehensive coverage on our cars but I assumed (apparently incorrectly) glass coverage was for windshields and side/back glass.

Do the people worrying about exorbitant glass roof replacement costs not have this?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 03:05 PM   #62
LVBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60 '23 Tesla Model Y-P

Garage List
Quote:
Whew! We carry comprehensive coverage on our cars but I assumed (apparently incorrectly) glass coverage was for windshields and side/back glass.

Do the people worrying about exorbitant glass roof replacement costs not have this?
If you’re financing the vehicle you must have comprehensive and collision coverage. I think people worry about the extensive nature of the replacement process should it ever need replacement and the likely long out of service time. Personally I just enjoy it and don’t worry.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2024, 03:33 PM   #63
exxxviii
Captain
Rep
Drives: ix xDrive50

Garage List
Quote:

Probably everybody has comprehensive. Still, the roof is unnecessarily expensive and repair can be lengthy because of availability. It is an potential major headache.
      04-28-2024, 02:19 PM   #64
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Quote:
This car is criminally irreparable.
The hyperbole is strong

Quote:
At least it doesn’t have gull wing doors. Or a stainless steel exterior that rusts.

I took the liberty of finishing that first sentence for you! lol

I suspect the primary reason we do not see opening sunroofs in EVs, generally, is for weight savings. Those sunroof mechanisms add quite a bit of weight that the glass roofs lack. The glass roofs sans opening sunroofs also allow for more headroom without an opening mechanism likely taking up some of that space.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 02:30 PM   #65
SignMD
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 iX50, 23 Mercedes EQE 500

There are lots of EV's with opening sunroofs, my Audi e-tron had one, my wife's EQE500 has one. The EQB, EQS, Q4 e-tron and EV6 all have sunroofs that open.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 05:43 PM   #66
Barry123
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post
I suspect the primary reason we do not see opening sunroofs in EVs, generally, is for weight savings.
That's the BS line for justifying no spare tire.
What's another 30-40 lbs in a 6800 ln. vehicle?

BTW, my 2015 Model S had a sunroof. I never had a problem with it, however problems were widely reported. Instead of Musk trying to solve a quality issue, he eliminated the sunroof.