United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

BMW i8 Event at SLS Hotel in Miami

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com

Revel in the i8 by ddk632, on Flickr

BMW i8 Event at SLS Hotel in Miami

I found out about this event while I was at the LA Auto Show and of course attended last week.

The SLS Hotel is really (really!) beautiful and was an excellent stage for BMW to show off the i8 in a relatively private setting. The event was an official BMW event and customers could get on the list to attend by calling BMW.

The front entrance to the SLS Hotel in Miami during Art Basel 2013. BMW brought a fleet of 100 7-Series to shuttle people around, plus a number of the new BMW i3's (some of them in this image). I also saw an M6 Gran Coupe, a 650i M Sport Edition (pictured on the far left), and an Alpina B7 (just beyond the large L in the photo). A grand event, no doubt!

SLS Hotel by ddk632, on Flickr

BMW brought the same Crystal White i8 that was on display at the LA Auto Show in November to the SLS Hotel event, and other events during Art Basel in Miami, Florida last week.

BMW i8 at SLS Hotel by ddk632, on Flickr

More i8 and Questions Answered!

Lots of cool stuff here. I got to meet some fellow Bimmerposters - which was awesome! - and got to meet the BMW i Brand Manager, Jacob. I didn't catch his last name but I picked his brain on a few i8 details that I will share.

We also got him to open the trunk and I have some photos of that - I haven't seen any photos with the i8 trunk open, so I hope these will be new to you as well!

BMW i8 Trunk Detail by ddk632, on Flickr

This was shot as the BMW i Brand Manager was showing of fthe trunk space in the i8 and was closing the flap. There isn't much space but enough if you're a light traveler for a good road trip!

BMW i8 Trunk Open by ddk632, on Flickr

As usual, BMW put on an amazing event with catered cheeses and hors d'oeuvres as well as complimentary drinks during the event.

They actually had to close off 17th street (just outside of the SLS Hotel in Miami Beach) and CRANE the i8 into the back of the hotel. I spoke with the BMW Account Director from Octagon, the company which puts on these events for BMW, and he showed me a video on his phone of the i8 being lifted on a platform, with a guy walking a rope on the ground in order to turn the platform and steer it to its eventual location inside the back of the SLS Hotel. That was really cool to see.

What did I ask while I was there?

1. Will the electric motor keep charge if you drive the i8 hard, or at high speeds? Say if you take it to the track?

"It's an i8, not an M8". The BMW i Brand Manager confirmed that if you drive normally on the street, even going fast, the electric motor has its own alternator and will keep charged. That means you can do a cross country road trip and just use gas stations if you cannot charge the car, and the electric motor will stay charged giving you full power of both motors constantly.

Now, if you want to take the i8 to the track - some of us had discussed this on another forum - the issue becomes with battery heat more so than with motor charge. The batteries will get too hot from driving at 10/10ths and will be automatically shut off, leaving you with just the gas motor. The BMW i Brand Manager said the car will do laps, but not sessions. I have decided that taking this car to the track will be a bad idea. His explanation regarding batteries overheating made perfect sense.

2. Can you do European Delivery even if you pay full MSRP and not ask for the ED discount?

No. BMW is not allowing any ED on this car, period. Who knows if that will change.

3. Will you be able to customize the i8 through BMW individual?

No, BMW is not planning on offering the BMW Individual program for the initial run and possibly first few years of the i8 production.

4. I've heard different things about the i8 key, is it the same as the i3 key or will it be a special key with a screen on it?

Well, I think we have our answer. The BMW i Brand Manager, Jacob, told me "All I can say is that it will not be the same as the i3 key." -- So the people at the LA Auto Show were wrong... and no fault to them, as BMW has been extremely tight-lipped about the i8. The Crystal White i8 has a regular looking key at the moment, but it will not be the key that customers will get. So looks like that picture Scott26 posted might be it! Sorry Scott, I wasn't doubting you, but I just wanted to make sure

5. Are the doors automatic?

Yes! There is a button on the inside of the doors that you can press and they will close automatically. Awesome!!!

[ Edited to add this photo since it makes more sense here given the context, even though it was not shot at this event ]

BMW i8 Door Close Button by ddk632, on Flickr

I think that covers most of the questions that I had. Hope you found this informative.

It was great to meet so many people, including the BMW marketing/PR team folks, BMW i Brand Manager, and fellow Bimmerposters!

Hope you enjoy these photos of the i8 event at the SLS Hotel in South Beach, Miami.

Unlike the LA Auto Show, the i8 doors were open and the interior visible to all during this event:

BMW i8 Side Profile with Doors Open by ddk632, on Flickr

BMW i8 Doors Open Side Shot by ddk632, on Flickr

BMW i8 Interior and Seatbelt by ddk632, on Flickr

BMW i8 Doors Open by ddk632, on Flickr

BMW i8 Interior 2 by ddk632, on Flickr

BMW i8 Interior by ddk632, on Flickr

Of course, there can never be enough photos of oneself next to the BMW i8 This obviously wasn't shot by me, and a shout out to Jenny, the photographer I met at the event who was kind enough to not only take this photo, but also change the settings on my camera so it would come out right!

Will You Be Mine by ddk632, on Flickr

Now, a fun part of the night was this lady and her (I think) parrot. She was quite the hit and at one point put the bird on the glass guarding the i8 for some photo opportunities. The bird was a professional fashion model, sitting patiently and smiling for the photos!

The Lady and Her Bird by ddk632, on Flickr

Posing with i8 by ddk632, on Flickr

Bird Poses with i8 by ddk632, on Flickr

It was a great party - lots of people there and lots of positive talk about the car. Of course, the i8 was the star of the show!

BMW i Brand Manager Shows Off the i8 by ddk632, on Flickr

BMW i8 Behind the Ropes by ddk632, on Flickr

Star of the Show by ddk632, on Flickr

Until next time,
David / ddk632

Last edited by ddk632; 12-09-2013 at 07:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

This is the key to the i8.
Attached Images

12-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I know that now.

Like I said it's not that I was doubting you, I just got concerned when several BMW people at the LA Auto Show said that the i8 key was similar to the i3 key.

The only people who've known it to be different are you and the BMW i brand manager...

I will not doubt Scott26 again!

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

So now we're left to wonder what a couple of the key buttons are for, such as the diamond symbol on the upper right corner and the enter/return like symbol at the bottom. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
This is the key to the i8.
Do I even want to know how much one of those costs to replace?
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #6
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
So now we're left to wonder what a couple of the key buttons are for, such as the diamond symbol on the upper right corner and the enter/return like symbol at the bottom. Any thoughts?
Yeah, anyone's guess on those!

I do know that the i3 key also has the diamond symbol on one of its buttons, so whatever it is, is shared amongst the cars. I tried googling a bit but couldn't find any info on what the diamond symbol is for.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #7
dencoop
Captain
Rep
Drives: Porsche (991) 911 C4S Cab

if I had to take an educated guess then I would say that the diamond symbol can be programmed to a single most unique feature of the owner of the car and can be different things for different end users. For example if I want ti to start the heating system then that is what I would program it and someone else may program it to their most favorite function....
      12-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dencoop View Post
if I had to take an educated guess then I would say that the diamond symbol can be programmed to a single most unique feature of the owner of the car and can be different things for different end users. For example if I want ti to start the heating system then that is what I would program it and someone else may program it to their most favorite function....
Sounds like a reasonable guess. BTW, just noticed upon looking closer at the photo that it has two dots under the main display area, which suggests there is a second screen available via swiping. That and the enter/return key does suggests to me that the key is somewhat programmable. It will certainly be interesting to see what the final product can do.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 07:17 AM   #9
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
Thanks for your insight on such a special night!

The i8 is a real looker. I didn't know that it had back seats, so that's pretty cool.

I would buy the i8 just to get that key fob!!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #10
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodite10 View Post
Thanks for your insight on such a special night!

The i8 is a real looker. I didn't know that it had back seats, so that's pretty cool.

I would buy the i8 just to get that key fob!!
Hey no worries, I was jus there and had questions with no answers.. It was good to get answers to some questions from the source directly.

It does have a 2+2 configuration, and the backseat is similar to a Porsche 911 backseat.

Lol at the key fob comment, so true - it looks better than most smartphones! Except, I'd still want the i8 even if it didn't have this key, as awesome as the key is...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 07:43 AM   #11
avsbmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

I like the blue seat belts! Key looks amazing as well!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 08:38 AM   #12
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

wow awesome! The key is even more impressive

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #13
gbelton
TheArchitect
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Ultimate Driving Machine

Very nice i8 and the key is a perfect companion. Can't wait till mine is delivered to its new home.
      12-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #14
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbelton View Post
Very nice i8 and the key is a perfect companion. Can't wait till mine is delivered to its new home.
Make sure to post pics and impressions when you get your i8 --I can't wait to see all of the i8 delivery threads next year!!

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #15
Ali.K_BMW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
The key does it for me. I want it!
      12-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #16
lasovan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 320

I like the key very much! Awesomely shaped and engineered! Thx Scott!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #17
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
Hey no worries, I was jus there and had questions with no answers.. It was good to get answers to some questions from the source directly.

It does have a 2+2 configuration, and the backseat is similar to a Porsche 911 backseat.

Lol at the key fob comment, so true - it looks better than most smartphones! Except, I'd still want the i8 even if it didn't have this key, as awesome as the key is...
Okay okay, the i8 is perfect enough on its own!

Oh and I'm glad to know that it will keep its charge while running on the engine. That's good to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsbmw View Post
I like the blue seat belts! Key looks amazing as well!
Yeah it looks amazing! The seats are pretty awesome too.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #18
TurboAL47
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: M4 / X5

Garage List
is it me or does it look like a huge distance between the seat and door. you'd literally have to climb in and out. don't get me wrong, i'll make the sacrifice to have that car and the key fob!

'22 G82 M4 - Individual Marina Bay Blue 6MT | MBB G82 Ongoing Build Thread
'21 AW G05 X5 xDrive40i MSport

'15 SS/SO F82 - M4 - SOLD| Industry City Shoot
'08 AW E92 - 335xi - SOLD[/b] | Mods and Photoshoot
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #19
isthisjohn
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Crimson Red E90

my snaps don't look anywhere near that good

The SLS was very nice and seeing the i8 up and close was amazing. I can't wait to drive one ..

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #20
320d184
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d m sport 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline
I have the diamond symbol on my 5 series key and it is a panic button - basically just sets the alarm off if you keep it pressed.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #21
duky
The Tanzanian
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, Audi RS6, Mini Cooper

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dencoop
Yeah it looks like the user configurable diamond button on our steering wheels

2023 F56 MINI Cooper SE Midnight Black II on Carbon Black
2021 C8 Audi RS6 Avant Mythos Black on Black/Grey
2016 F80 BMW M3 Black Sapphire Metallic on Silverstone
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #22
ashvibe
Registered
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW all the way

Quote: