BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

04-28-2024, 10:29 AM   #1
jlim0930
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5e, NX350h

Daily charging?

For those with L2 charger at home, do you charge daily or when you are running low?

Is there harm if you charge daily?

Is there a way to check battery’s health?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 10:52 AM   #2
liquidator4711
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S, Tesla Model 3,

Garage List
Charging every day is just fine, just don’t put the max charge too high - keep it at 70/80%

It’s possible to get stats, you can use an OBD adapter and eg. Bimmerflow as mentioned in other threads.

I did it on my brand new and ok and behold:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 12:43 PM   #3
exxxviii
Captain
Rep
Drives: ix xDrive50

Garage List
I think the consistent recommendation across all BEV makers is ABC: always be charging. But that is inconvenient, so I generally charge when I fall below 50%.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 01:20 PM   #4
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
I didn't top off my gas tank every day either, so there's that....
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 01:21 PM   #5
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Smaller charge cycles are always better for battery health than longer cycles. Treat your car like a cell phone and always plug it in when at home. It's always best to use timed charging and set it to start late at night when it's cooler, when rates are lower, and when there is less demand on the grid. This also gives your battery time to cool down if you've been driving it a lot that day.

The #1 enemy of EV batteries is heat. Although they are temperature controlled to a point, we can still do things to minimize heat generation and maximize longevity, i.e., delivery of the highest capacity for the longest time.

My daily drives are less than 100 miles so I keep my car set to 50%. If you live in a super hot climate like in the desert southwest, during the summers you may want to keep the SOC closer to 30% if it's not going to be driven for a while. Studies have shown that Li-ion EV batteries stored at 50ºC at higher states of charge can lose significant capacity after sitting in this environment for a year. Considering we get that kind of heat 4-6 mos out of the year, keeping a car sitting at 80%+ SOC at peak summer temps is probably not the best idea.

The least battery degradation sitting in a hot climate happens at 30% SOC. BMW recommends parking the car in shade whenever possible and keeping it garaged if you are in an area that has a hot climate. I don't believe the iX cools the battery when it isn't in an ON state. If that's the case, you definitely do not want the car to sit in the heat.

I've noticed that my iX does not engage active cooling while sitting in the heat and turned off. My 9-year old Tesla, by comparison, would start cooling the battery while parked when the temps hit a certain threshold.

Last edited by NomoTesla; 04-28-2024 at 01:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 10:52 AM   #6
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

“I've noticed that my iX does not engage active cooling while sitting in the heat and turned off. My 9-year old Tesla, by comparison, would start cooling the battery while parked when the temps hit a certain threshold.“

I think there’s been marked improvements in battery management since the 9+ years that you owned your Tesla; or perhaps it’s just a Tesla thing.

But I routinely charged my ‘19 etron to 90% every night when I was working and many of those day/nights the car was parked in my non-heated/cooled garage here in KS. Hence the battery was exposed to extreme cold in the winter and extreme heat in the summer. After 4 years, the battery had not lost any range; zero. One caveat: that car only ever was charged on my L2 home charger as due to the range of the etron, we never took it on any long trips.

I have to believe that the BMS in the iX is as advanced as that in an older etron, so again I routinely charge to 80%-90% although due to the markedly enhanced range of the iX over the etron, I no longer charge every night.
Appreciate 0