BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

04-03-2017, 10:03 AM   #1
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8

Windshield

Does anyone else notice that the Windshield on the I8 tends to chip very easily.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 01:17 PM   #2
AprilMile
Rep
Drives: BMW M8

Yes, unfortunately mine chipped on the very first day. Not bad enough to repair, but annoying nevertheless.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 02:44 PM   #3
SlipperyGary
Private
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Yes. It chips very easily.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 03:19 PM   #4
Mightymousemighty
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: i8(16) RangeR (15) TeslaX (17)

I got mine coated with a acrylic shield. Tough as nails.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 01:28 AM   #5
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

I8s come with a different glass compound , I have read some cracks on the windshields too . I think that mysterious compound may be attributed to the cracks or prone to chips easily
      04-04-2017, 05:24 AM   #6
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: On my 2nd i8 already

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightymousemighty View Post
I got mine coated with a acrylic shield. Tough as nails.
can you please elaborate on this. Interested to hear more. How does it work? Who can do it? Cost?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 11:10 AM   #7
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8

Same here interested in the coating
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 12:23 PM   #8
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

I haven't done any research on acrylic shield, but you may also want to look into ClearPlex.

While there is no perfect nor absolute solution, ClearPlex has helped me minimize the probability of incurring windshield cracks and pitting. Probably a strong consideration if you plan on taking the i8 on the track. I've had them installed on my carbon fiber (CF) sports cars since I learned, first hand, how tedious and delicate the process is in removing cracked windshields from CF frames. Juxtaposed to changing out my wife's 650i's windshield (took less than 3 hours), a proper windshield replacement for the i8 or most CF cars may take up to 2 or 3 days.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 05:09 PM   #9
Mightymousemighty
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGT3 View Post
I haven't done any research on acrylic shield, but you may also want to look into ClearPlex.

While there is no perfect nor absolute solution, ClearPlex has helped me minimize the probability of incurring windshield cracks and pitting. Probably a strong consideration if you plan on taking the i8 on the track. I've had them installed on my carbon fiber (CF) sports cars since I learned, first hand, how tedious and delicate the process is in removing cracked windshields from CF frames. Juxtaposed to changing out my wife's 650i's windshield (took less than 3 hours), a proper windshield replacement for the i8 or most CF cars may take up to 2 or 3 days.
Just to be clear (forgive the pun) I had clearplex installed which is an optical grade acrylic shield for the windscreen. Cost me £475 to get installed and it I has a 10 year warranty. I've posted on it before but you obviously get the protection, slight downside is a slight optical distortion but you adjust to it and don't notice it after a while. I decided to do it as many have posted about cracks etc
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 06:39 PM   #10
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightymousemighty View Post
... slight downside is a slight optical distortion but you adjust to it and don't notice it after a while. I decided to do it as many have posted about cracks etc

Agreed. Clearly (couldn't help it) for me, the slight distortion is a relatively small price to pay for the added windscreen protection.

Mightymousemighty, I presume you've installed ClearPlex on your i8's sibling, the TeslaX as well. I've been told by my friends that their Tesla windscreens are made of the same lightweight Gorilla Glass from Corning and are prone to cracking from flying debris. Based on their experience, the removal process for the windshields are rather difficult and require extreme care in handling, given how they are affixed to the frame.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 11:08 PM   #11
Mightymousemighty
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Agreed. Clearly (couldn't help it) for me, the slight distortion is a relatively small price to pay for the added windscreen protection.

Mightymousemighty, I presume you've installed ClearPlex on your i8's sibling, the TeslaX as well. I've been told by my friends that their Tesla windscreens are made of the same lightweight Gorilla Glass from Corning and are prone to cracking from flying debris. Based on their experience, the removal process for the windshields are rather difficult and require extreme care in handling, given how they are affixed to the frame.
Not yet but I was thinking about it. It is primarily the wife's car so I'm not 100% yet
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 05:08 AM   #12
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 i8 coupe,2019x5,2019 740i

Where can you get Clearplex installed?
Did a quick google and couldn't really find any info other than diamonfusion which seems to be a DIY?
Tintworld seems to have some kind of protective coating service available as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 05:13 AM   #13
MrRob
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

I had my windscreen replaced, I was quite nervous about as my insurer would pay only if Autoglass did the work. In the end took two master technicians about 5 hours. It was their first i8 but they had done numerous i3's which would throw up similar issues. Had it checked over by BMW afterwards and they were happy with it also. Has been on for nearly a year now, no rattles, creaks or leaks so all in all not as bad as you might expect.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 05:14 AM   #14
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 458, BMW i8, Acura NSX

My car got a slight chip first road trip I took. I do my best to avoid looking at it as it drives me nuts (OCD). It's very small but I know it's there.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 10:58 AM   #15
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman777 View Post
Where can you get Clearplex installed?
Did a quick google and couldn't really find any info other than diamonfusion which seems to be a DIY?
Tintworld seems to have some kind of protective coating service available as well.

You may want to try the following link, which pertains to locating ClearPlex installers by zip code:

https://www.clearplex.com/pages/find
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 11:10 AM   #16
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-Sta07 View Post
My car got a slight chip first road trip I took. I do my best to avoid looking at it as it drives me nuts (OCD). It's very small but I know it's there.
I was able to get a mobile glass repairer to fill in some pock marks and small chips on my Merc CL63's windshield and the repairs seem to be holding up rather well-going on 18 months. The nice thing is, the restored areas are barely discernible.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 02:42 PM   #17
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRob View Post
I had my windscreen replaced, I was quite nervous about as my insurer would pay only if Autoglass did the work. In the end took two master technicians about 5 hours. It was their first i8 but they had done numerous i3's which would throw up similar issues. Had it checked over by BMW afterwards and they were happy with it also. Has been on for nearly a year now, no rattles, creaks or leaks so all in all not as bad as you might expect.
Good to hear!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 02:44 PM   #18
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You may want to try the following link, which pertains to locating ClearPlex installers by zip code:

https://www.clearplex.com/pages/find

Thanks for the link.
Closest place is over 100 miles from where I live!
Oh well, a good excuse for a road trip.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 04:11 PM   #19
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Had a windshield crack, maybe six inches long, horizontally across the passenger side, not starting at the edge (interestingly) but two or three inches aways from it. Suddenly noticed it after I had picked up the car from service. Not a stone chip. And not one of those cracks around the mirror mounting area we have read on here before. You could feel it with your fingernail from the inside, but not from the outside.

Neither the dealer nor I could explain the thing. My suspicion is that the guy who cleaned the car after service supported himself on the passenger seat backrest while cleaning the rear footwell. Thus slamming the headrest into the windscreen.

Either way, BMW covered it under warranty, it was done by the BMW shop, and the car was ready the next day.

I am not too keen on putting a laminate on the windshield. Even if the distortions are "slight", I wonder if they could not become critical in the dark, in the rain, with glaring headlights pointed at you. A coating would be much more to my liking.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 01:42 AM   #20
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: On my 2nd i8 already

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight View Post
Had a windshield crack, maybe six inches long, horizontally across the passenger side, not starting at the edge (interestingly) but two or three inches aways from it. Suddenly noticed it after I had picked up the car from service. Not a stone chip. And not one of those cracks around the mirror mounting area we have read on here before. You could feel it with your fingernail from the inside, but not from the outside.

Neither the dealer nor I could explain the thing. My suspicion is that the guy who cleaned the car after service supported himself on the passenger seat backrest while cleaning the rear footwell. Thus slamming the headrest into the windscreen.

Either way, BMW covered it under warranty, it was done by the BMW shop, and the car was ready the next day.

I am not too keen on putting a laminate on the windshield. Even if the distortions are "slight", I wonder if they could not become critical in the dark, in the rain, with glaring headlights pointed at you. A coating would be much more to my liking.
The dealer told me that a lot of the windscreen cracks are linked to people pulling and pushing too hard on rear view mirror. Seat headrest seems like good culprit too.

Is there a coating out there that can go the windscreen?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 04:55 AM   #21
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsi View Post
The dealer told me that a lot of the windscreen cracks are linked to people pulling and pushing too hard on rear view mirror. Seat headrest seems like good culprit too.

Is there a coating out there that can go the windscreen?
I thought that's what Mightymousemighty was sayng above about acrylic shield.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 12:01 PM   #22
SlipperyGary
Private
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Quote:

There are no current production cars with Gorilla Glass windshields. The Gorilla Glass in the i8 is the small piece of glass between the passenger compartment and the gas engine/trunk. When/If any automobiles actually use Gorilla Glass in the windshield it will be half the weight and twice as strong and resistant to rock chips and cracks compared to normal automotive glass.

http://mashable.com/2017/01/05/corni.../#IgBWRc9GvOqH
Appreciate 0