Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

03-16-2024, 11:30 PM   #1
SkywardDan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 i3 rex

Getting an I3 plated and legal in CA...?

Hello.

Many thanks to this discussion forum, it has been helpful as I researched the I3 for the last few months. Now I have bought one and love it so far.
The CA DMV, not so much, though. I have failed several times now to get it registered w/ legal plates. Mine is a Rex, and I bought it from another state. CA inspectors will not clear it since it lacks a factory-installed Emissions sticker. Fair to say they are not loving this little hatchback.
I would welcome any advice on how to get the DMV make it road-legal. The dealer is checking on their end, and I tried using the app to contact BMW directly but they just punted back to the dealer. Has any one else had this problem, and if so how was it solved?
(From searching these threads, the only posts I found concerned a similar issue in NJ, but nothing for this state).
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 08:55 PM   #2
SkywardDan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 i3 rex

Success

FWIW, if anyone has this problem in the future: the SMOG folks resolved it. Of course, as an electric car, it does not need to be smogged.

Why the inspector at the DMV did not know that is a mystery. But the kind folks at the BAR (state org. that oversees the SMOG program) sent me all kinds of documentation. Which the DMV did accept.

-Franco
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615280.00
note46255.00