Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

02-22-2015, 09:33 PM   #1
loliea
Rep
Drives: i3

Kids and back of the front seats

I have a 4 year old seating in her car seat in back that managed to tear the fabric at the back of the front seat (see pictures) . Did anyone had the same problem?
I am pretty sure this is not covered under warranty (?). Did anyone try to "open" the seats? I have been looking on the internet and I couldn't find schematics or pictures.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 10:51 PM   #2
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by loliea
I have a 4 year old seating in her car seat in back that managed to tear the fabric at the back of the front seat (see pictures) . Did anyone had the same problem?
I am pretty sure this is not covered under warranty (?). Did anyone try to "open" the seats? I have been looking on the internet and I couldn't find schematics or pictures.
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...51&hg=52&fg=10

From the looks of it you have to buy the whole seat back. These usually are not to expensive but that's all relative. Sometimes dealers willing to keep you a happy customer will fix it under good will.

Once when I worked at a BMW dealer a women drove her 7 series all the way to the dealer with a flat tire, the tire long gone the wheel was in complete disrepair but the dealer replaced the wheel and tire for free to keep her and her husband happy and to keep them buying bmw's from them. Hey it's worth a try
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 06:54 AM   #3
RichP
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Given the car is so new, the dealer may replace it under goodwill/warranty. I would try that first.

And a bit off-topic, how is the i3 with a 4 year old? Ive been looking at the i3 and wondering if its going to be too-small as a primary vehicle. (legroom seems important with children and these big car seats)
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 09:47 AM   #4
loliea
Rep

She likes the car. Even if at the beginning she had some challenges getting in her seat by herself (there is quite a step for her to get in and the wide opening with the suicide doors doesn't help), with the big back window she loves the prime view of the outside from down low on the street to the sky. The back side is that when it's sunny it gets quite hot inside. Too bad BMW didn't embed pull-up shades in the door (you can by shades though - http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462).

No regret, it's a good car for commuting, shopping and kid run. For longer distance (>50 mi one way) we use our other car.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 07:50 PM   #5
RichP
Major
United_States
Rep

Thank you for the quick reply, its very helpful. I had my son sit in the back of one today in the showroom and yes, that rear window is kind of nice of them to get a good view of things. But we were already fumbling around with the rear doors a bit.

I am getting one for an extended test drive this weekend before i make a decision.. its certainly a cool car.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 12:18 AM   #6
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

That seat back almost looks like it may have been spot welded to the plastic of the frame, either that, or some adhesive. Probably can't put it back together without dismantling the seat cushions unless you got tricky and found an adhesive that worked on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 01:55 AM   #7
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

By buddy makes sure his son takes off his shoes.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 02:21 PM   #8
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh
That seat back almost looks like it may have been spot welded to the plastic of the frame, either that, or some adhesive. Probably can't put it back together without dismantling the seat cushions unless you got tricky and found an adhesive that worked on it.
Yep it's heat staked on.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 09:16 AM   #9
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by loliea View Post
The back side is that when it's sunny it gets quite hot inside.
Did you opt for the solar glass option on the car?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 09:50 AM   #10
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH
Quote:
Originally Posted by loliea View Post
The back side is that when it's sunny it gets quite hot inside.
Did you opt for the solar glass option on the car?
Shoot we don't get that option in the USA
Unless it's standard ?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 05:57 AM   #11
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP View Post
Given the car is so new, the dealer may replace it under goodwill/warranty. I would try that first.

And a bit off-topic, how is the i3 with a 4 year old? Ive been looking at the i3 and wondering if its going to be too-small as a primary vehicle. (legroom seems important with children and these big car seats)

Just had a nice long loan of an i3 and with a 4 year old and 6 year old no problem with space. Plus the rear opening doors its so much easier for them to get in and out. very tempted to go for it now. Though with kids I woudl say the suite interior (leather) is only option.
      03-09-2015, 11:26 AM   #12
RichP
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic77 View Post
Just had a nice long loan of an i3 and with a 4 year old and 6 year old no problem with space. Plus the rear opening doors its so much easier for them to get in and out. very tempted to go for it now. Though with kids I woudl say the suite interior (leather) is only option.
Thank you for the feedback. Actually, the 335 m sport is the other car I am considering. What car do you find better with the kids? The 335 is bigger inside (both passenger compartment and trunk/boot) but the i3s packaging is much more useful.

I know the i3 and 335 are somewhat worlds apart, and the 335 msport (local dealer even has one in manual) is a great car.. but the i3 really has captured my attention.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 12:10 PM   #13
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

For typical running around town, the i3 is a blast. Personally, I would not have it as an only car. Yes, I know some people do, and I'm not going to argue. If your local dealer participates in the loaner program, it may be a viable thing for those longer trips. But, I do not like the prospect of having to stop once an hour or so to refill the REx tank if I'm going further, nor do I find the car as comfortable as my ICE on a longer trip. While I may not be able to go the typical 500-miles my ICE can go between refueling on a trip, I like to be able to decide when and where I make that stop. Then, not all gas stations are open 24-hours, nor can you rely (yet) on finding a working EVSE (then wait 3-4 hours!) or a CCS unit, so you can go another 50-60 miles (maybe less than an hour).

My ICE doesn't get used much, but I like having it there in case.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 01:30 PM   #14
RichP
Major
United_States
Rep

jadnashuanh,

I did do the extended test drive, and under about the worse conditions:

25 degrees out, snow, only the 120V charger, and the car was set to "low" charging so the first night I had it I only gained about 4-5 miles overnight in charge. Needless to say I was using the REX on day two a bit. Still, I found it livable, and the cars driving character made up for the annoyances of it not charging. Even with it not being a highway car, I drove it pretty aggressively (not dangerously but also not going 55 in the slowlane) and it handled that well too. (very good for a "city" car)

I think the REx can be come a more viable still when you code it: You can get the extra 20% more gas range by allowing access to the full 2.4 gal tank, and you can you the charge hold function. Seems like the best way to do a longer distance trip is to use the REx first once you hit 75% remaining, and when that is about empty then drive electric until you fill it up again. I need to confirm the dealership I would be getting it from honors the extended mobility program, but with that I can't imagine being "stuck" with the i3 to a limited travel region. And if the rare event came up where I had to take the i3 on a long trip, it can be done albeit with a few more quick stops along the way.

Decisions.. decisions..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 02:15 PM   #15
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the feedback. Actually, the 335 m sport is the other car I am considering. What car do you find better with the kids? The 335 is bigger inside (both passenger compartment and trunk/boot) but the i3s packaging is much more useful.

I know the i3 and 335 are somewhat worlds apart, and the 335 msport (local dealer even has one in manual) is a great car.. but the i3 really has captured my attention.
Its a tough call. the i3 has far more interior room. With my 6 year old having leg swing room I could still stretch out in front as driver or passenger.

In the 335 it is a bit more cramped. Thought the boot is much bigger. Thats really trade off. Though access in i3 is amazing in terms of getting cars in and out of the car and then cant get out / open doors eitiher
      03-09-2015, 02:56 PM   #16
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic77
Quote:

Its a tough call. the i3 has far more interior room. With my 6 year old having leg swing room I could still stretch out in front as driver or passenger.

In the 335 it is a bit more cramped. Thought the boot is much bigger. Thats really trade off. Though access in i3 is amazing in terms of getting cars in and out of the car and then cant get out / open doors eitiher
Best part is the kids can't open the doors without your intervention and if they did their much shorter so no hitting someone else's car.

We were at a car show once and a car pulled up and next to a gorgeous fully restored Shelby 500 (the lady didn't know it was for classics only) mustang and the kid in the back seat must have kicked the door as it flew open full tilt and bashed into the mustang creating a huge gouge crease and I swear I thought the owner was going to die of a heart attack ! It was awful and amusing at the same time.

Anyway like I said the coach doors though sometime a pain in tight places keeps them from just escaping and possibly causing damage to your or others property!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 12:19 PM   #17
Rapcat
Private
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic77 View Post

I think the i3 is pretty decent although I worry about the same tearing on mine. My 5 year old daughter is fine in her booster seat with the back, but my friend's almost 3-yr old's car seat is much larger and places him a lot closer to the front seat. So I think the type of car seat makes a bigger difference. He is in one of those 5-pt harness seats.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 01:12 PM   #18
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm using these two.
- Recaro Young Sport very good as goes from 9months to 12years. Modular.
http://www.recaro-seats.co.uk/child-...oung-sport.php

- Recaro Milano 3years to 12years. As above minus the harness as not needed.
http://www.recaro-seats.co.uk/child-...aro-milano.php

Both are great and the Milano is very shallow so useful. had both in the i3 with the youngsport behind me and I'm about 6'2" and no issues with space for my 3 year old and shes about 3'5".

Use both in my 335 and had them in i3. Definetly more room in i3 than the 335. In that the back of seats do get a lot of knocks when they get in and out.

Added bonus was in i3 once they are in seatbelts its so much easier to buckle them up as the bucklets dont sink into the seats they stick up. In the 335 I had to stuff some material into the cut outs for the buckles to stop the falling back in as its nightmare to locate them when close to the car seats
      04-10-2015, 10:10 AM   #19
loliea
Rep

Ok update :-)
The dealer is going to replace the seat for zip.

I don't have problem with the space behind even if I am in the passenger seat (I am 6ft) and my daughter behind me. Keep in mind that the range is around 80 miles, so no long trip where the space is important.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 12:25 AM   #20
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

BMW's new car warrant is pretty good. I knew they'd just take care of it.
Appreciate 0