BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

09-23-2016, 05:26 PM   #1
Taxdr1965
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: R8

I8 test drive

So I drove the I8 today and here are my impressions.

1. At first look I didn't like the looks of the car that much, but the more I looked at it, the more I liked it. The rear is very busy though.

2. The doors are pretty cool and getting in and out is not that bad. Inside I thought the interior was typical BMW. Maybe a little swoopier design. No carbon or anything. All digital dash was nice and typical I drive stuff.

3. Seats and driving position were very good and very comfortable. Visibility was great out the front but poor out the back.

4. Push the start button and nothing, no sound. Pulled away in electric mode and all was quiet. The ride is quite similar to the r8, maybe a little smoother. Steering is on the light side but good.

5. Step on the gas and the gas engine kicks in and you hear the engine come to life. Now I know the sound is piped in, but it sounds good. I was really impressed.

6. Speed and handling. Not near as fast as my R8, but similar to a boxster. Feels quick and you don't feel the speed but I looked down and was doin 100 before I know it. Handling was good to. Not like an r8, but maybe 8/10. Car had a real nice feel to it, felt light and lively.

Overall it was much better then I expected. They are giving great lease deals. $1200 a month 10k miles. 3k out of pocket.

I do think it is a better DD then r8 and for that money you drive the hell out of it and give it back.

It also gets great gas mileage and is green, if that matters to you. Might be fun for 2 or 3 years and wait and see what happens with all these new sports cars. R8, NSX and 570 should have taken a nice hit.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 03:49 AM   #2
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and reviews .I like R8 too . Two of the best looking cars on the roads save Lamborghini
      09-24-2016, 08:39 AM   #3
Amgeater2
Major
Rep
Drives: X6M, M8, Mc 600LT, 296GTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxdr1965
So I drove the I8 today and here are my impressions.

1. At first look I didn't like the looks of the car that much, but the more I looked at it, the more I liked it. The rear is very busy though.

2. The doors are pretty cool and getting in and out is not that bad. Inside I thought the interior was typical BMW. Maybe a little swoopier design. No carbon or anything. All digital dash was nice and typical I drive stuff.

3. Seats and driving position were very good and very comfortable. Visibility was great out the front but poor out the back.

4. Push the start button and nothing, no sound. Pulled away in electric mode and all was quiet. The ride is quite similar to the r8, maybe a little smoother. Steering is on the light side but good.

5. Step on the gas and the gas engine kicks in and you hear the engine come to life. Now I know the sound is piped in, but it sounds good. I was really impressed.

6. Speed and handling. Not near as fast as my R8, but similar to a boxster. Feels quick and you don't feel the speed but I looked down and was doin 100 before I know it. Handling was good to. Not like an r8, but maybe 8/10. Car had a real nice feel to it, felt light and lively.

Overall it was much better then I expected. They are giving great lease deals. $1200 a month 10k miles. 3k out of pocket.

I do think it is a better DD then r8 and for that money you drive the hell out of it and give it back.

It also gets great gas mileage and is green, if that matters to you. Might be fun for 2 or 3 years and wait and see what happens with all these new sports cars. R8, NSX and 570 should have taken a nice hit.
Thank you for the review, but base out of your well detail write up you never put the car on sport S/M mode ? :
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 02:18 PM   #4
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgeater2 View Post
Thank you for the review, but base out of your well detail write up you never put the car on sport S/M mode ? :
I was wondering the same...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 06:31 PM   #5
Taxdr1965
Private First Class
Rep

Yes had it in sport mode. I definetly got on the gas. I really did enjoy the car. Think I might get it.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 05:49 PM   #6
Taxdr1965
Private First Class
Rep

So my r8 was just sold, sort of sad to see it go. Should have my r8 next week. Should be interesting
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 08:41 PM   #7
bandwagn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
2010 X6M  [0.00]
2006 330Cic  [0.00]
Interesting if lease deals are at $1.2k/mo - tesla model X is $1.5ish - so that would be tempting
Appreciate 0