BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

09-25-2016, 02:25 PM   #1
Arobotbrain
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Audi S5

Waxing black plastic parts and carbon

I was wondering if anyone knows if it is OK to wax the black plastic parts in the front, on the hood and at the back? And what about the carbon roof?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 04:42 PM   #2
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arobotbrain
I was wondering if anyone knows if it is OK to wax the black plastic parts in the front, on the hood and at the back? And what about the carbon roof?

Thanks
It's never a good idea to wax anything rubber or plastic. But if you must there are specific waxes for plastic areas on cars and the cf roof is fine to wax but keep in mind waxes remove and can be abrasive. A non abrasive wax or preferably a polish for carbon fiber is best, but as I said for cf you can basically do as you normally do to maintain the paint on your car.

Most real professionals tape off all plastic and rubber before waxing. It's a great way to know how professional a detailer is because most people just apply wax on the entire car not knowing that certain trims may be negatively affected by it. Mostly because of the hot and cold influence in combination of the wax build up on it.

Hope that helps.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2016, 07:33 PM   #3
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

I just polished the car this weekend. I used finishing wax on the roof and black parts, they turned out great. The water spots are gone.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 01:34 AM   #4
Arobotbrain
Private
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf View Post
It's never a good idea to wax anything rubber or plastic. But if you must there are specific waxes for plastic areas on cars and the cf roof is fine to wax but keep in mind waxes remove and can be abrasive. A non abrasive wax or preferably a polish for carbon fiber is best, but as I said for cf you can basically do as you normally do to maintain the paint on your car.

Most real professionals tape off all plastic and rubber before waxing. It's a great way to know how professional a detailer is because most people just apply wax on the entire car not knowing that certain trims may be negatively affected by it. Mostly because of the hot and cold influence in combination of the wax build up on it.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for this. I have read that plastic and rubber should not be waxed. However, I had the impression that on the i8 the plastic parts and the carbon roof were varnished. Any idea if this assumption is correct?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 01:34 AM   #5
Arobotbrain
Private
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmfiv3 View Post
I just polished the car this weekend. I used finishing wax on the roof and black parts, they turned out great. The water spots are gone.
Which wax did you go for?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 10:08 AM   #6
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arobotbrain View Post
Which wax did you go for?
Meguiar's D30116 Finishing Wax. I've used Zaino, Zymol, Sonus and others, and now this. I apply using the Meguiar's finishing pad on my porter cable polisher, and it looks great.
Appreciate 0