BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

09-26-2016, 01:48 PM   #1
dustinhu
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 Pure Impulse World

Flat tire on new i8

Hey all,
I've only had my i8 for about a month and my rear left tire was completely flat the other day. I filled it with air and it lost it again through the course of the evening. Next day I put the 'filler' that the car comes with to inflate the tire and it has held up. The dealer is telling me that the tire cannot be repaired once you use that product but you also shouldn't drive the car for very long with it in there. Frustrating b/c it is about $500 to replace the single tire. Anyone have experience of just using the tire 'as is' on this or another car with those filler kits and not replacing the tire unless the issue re-appears?

Thanks,
Dustin
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 03:46 PM   #2
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinhu
Hey all,
I've only had my i8 for about a month and my rear left tire was completely flat the other day. I filled it with air and it lost it again through the course of the evening. Next day I put the 'filler' that the car comes with to inflate the tire and it has held up. The dealer is telling me that the tire cannot be repaired once you use that product but you also shouldn't drive the car for very long with it in there. Frustrating b/c it is about $500 to replace the single tire. Anyone have experience of just using the tire 'as is' on this or another car with those filler kits and not replacing the tire unless the issue re-appears?

Thanks,
Dustin
I have never used that filler thing into a tire because it just feels like that will mess up the wheel also. I feel for ya but sometimes trying to save a buck costs you more in the long run.

Have you tried getting a quote from an outside source like tire rack? The stealer (cough* cough*) sorry I meant to say the dealer always cost much more.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 05:47 PM   #3
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 458, BMW i8, Acura NSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinhu
Hey all,

Thanks,
Dustin
I have never used that filler thing into a tire because it just feels like that will mess up the wheel also. I feel for ya but sometimes trying to save a buck costs you more in the long run.

Have you tried getting a quote from an outside source like tire rack? The stealer (cough* cough*) sorry I meant to say the dealer always cost much more.
I'd take this opportunity to call tire rack or go to a local tire expert and see if some wider tires will work on the existing wheel. If they do just replace all the tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 02:38 AM   #4
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Tires are pretty much the last things you want to mess with - especially on high-performance cars. The keep the car on the road. When they give, you're gone.

The filler stuff can cause imbalance in the wheel (it's very unlikely that this stuff is evenly distributed in there). A tire that's already damaged may have lost some of its structural stability and suddenly blow or disintegrate at high speeds.

I'd go and replace that tire in an instant.
Appreciate 1