Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post BMW i3 reviews from Car & Driver and Ausfahrt.tv

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW i3 reviews from Car & Driver and Ausfahrt.tv
COMMENTS

The production BMW i3 recently had its first press drives in Amsterdam and the reviews are beginning to roll in.

First up is a video review by Ausfahrt.tv

And what did Car & Driver think about the i3? Here are some highlights.

The i3 doesn’t stray very far at all from what makes most BMWs great; it simply carries those principles into a new realm.

There’s no appreciable feedback from the (of course) electric power steering, but it is nonetheless very quick and precise. On our first pass through a tight slalom course, we clipped two cones because we were unprepared for the i3’s quick turn-in behavior. The car is wonderfully balanced and neutral, right up until its spindly 155/90R19s lose their grip. There’s no off switch for the stability control, but the aluminum Drive module’s rigidity imparts a solid structural feel, with admirable body control and a confident, controlled ride. There is none of the stripped-out, tinny feeling found in many EVs. BMW’s ground-up approach netted acceptably low poundage without having to scrimp on noise insulation and the like.

With no more than 2900 pounds to push around, the motor feels strong, and it effortlessly flings the car into gaps in traffic. Figure on a 0–60 time of just under seven seconds, although the 0–30 sprint will probably be a class above. Even with a top speed limited to 93 mph—at which point the motor is spinning at 11,400 rpm—the i3 raises an existential crisis for EVs: The quick ones encourage the driver to rapidly deplete a limited electron supply. The i3’s superbly calibrated regen program charges the batteries when the driver lifts off the accelerator, making most commuting a one-pedal job—good thing, as the brake pedal is pretty grabby—although once you pour that charge into the motor during stoplight drags, you’re only reclaiming a percentage.

Other than a shifter that seems designed to enrage, though, it’s hard to find fault with the i3. For its base price of $42,275 ($46,125 with the range extender), it offers a driving experience that is both familiar and pleasing in many ways, and unique in many others. Love or hate the styling, there are few other vehicles with such uninhibited design at anything near this price—and remember that that price can drop with federal and state tax credits. And then there are smart standard features like LED headlights and taillights, as well as a navigation system that remembers your driving style and can predict whether or not you’ll make your destination before running out of juice. Capable and thoughtful, the i3 only strays from BMW’s core values in its daring design. This isn’t some brave new world; it’s the same old one differently motivated. And we like it.

Catch the full review at http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Very good review!

2 things I don't like right away are the thin/skinny wheels and tires, and the fact that you can't roll down the rear windows at all. Plus when he sat in that back seat, it makes me wonder if the 4 series has a roomier back seat. Lol!

The rest of the car seems well thought out and put together.

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
eezzee
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F20

Nice to see a real world review. Indeed odd re lack of opening read windows....but it does look like nothing else on the road.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Very cool review. My favorite part was at 6:23. Watch for it!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Excellent, more positive reviews
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by eezzee
Nice to see a real world review. Indeed odd re lack of opening read windows....but it does look like nothing else on the road.
that'd be a tough sell for the kids.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 03:19 AM   #7
l888apex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: #30/740 BSM 1M

My dealer was given a launch unit by BMW to display.

I'll snap some more tomorrow.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 05:41 AM   #8
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I feel asleep three times watching that dude. Talk about boring review. Jeez
      10-24-2013, 06:57 AM   #9
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3NNIS View Post
I feel asleep three times watching that dude. Talk about boring review. Jeez
Ha, I wondered if he'd had a night out in Amsterdam the night before and was suffering the ill-effects of excessive alcohol consumption...
Appreciate 0