BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

03-05-2018, 03:35 PM   #1
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

To Each His or Her Own

The great thing about the world of cars is that there is a wide variety of styles, makes and models available to satisfy any car enthusiast's particular interests. And of course, there are as many types of interests and opinions about what best satisfies those interests as there are, well, I'll let you complete that phrase as you see fit. My point is that it always seems a bit odd to me when people debate the relative merits of one car over another based on there own particular perceptions, which are obviously influenced by there own particular interests. I guess it can be fun having such debates, but it seems pointless to get in more heated discussions and start demeaning another's opinion of a particular car, or proclaiming that one car is definitively better than another (not that that ever happens on Bimmerpost ). Kind of depends on what one is looking for, don't you think.

Personally, though I don't yet own one, based on everything I have read, heard and experienced, I happen to love the i8 and have for many years. And fortunately, I now have the wherewithal to afford one, which is why I have ordered a 2019 coupe, which is scheduled to arrive next month . I know there are higher performance cars that are available for less money. I know that there are more exotic supercars that are available for more money. But for my money, the i8 fits my needs and interests to a T. I'll be sure to share my honest impressions once I get the car, and if I discover the car doesn't meet my expectations, I'll be sure to share that as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 04:20 PM   #2
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
The great thing about the world of cars is that there is a wide variety of styles, makes and models available to satisfy any car enthusiast's particular interests. And of course, there are as many types of interests and opinions about what best satisfies those interests as there are, well, I'll let you complete that phrase as you see fit. My point is that it always seems a bit odd to me when people debate the relative merits of one car over another based on there own particular perceptions, which are obviously influenced by there own particular interests. I guess it can be fun having such debates, but it seems pointless to get in more heated discussions and start demeaning another's opinion of a particular car, or proclaiming that one car is definitively better than another (not that that ever happens on Bimmerpost ). Kind of depends on what one is looking for, don't you think.

Personally, though I don't yet own one, based on everything I have read, heard and experienced, I happen to love the i8 and have for many years. And fortunately, I now have the wherewithal to afford one, which is why I have ordered a 2019 coupe, which is scheduled to arrive next month . I know there are higher performance cars that are available for less money. I know that there are more exotic supercars that are available for more money. But for my money, the i8 fits my needs and interests to a T. I'll be sure to share my honest impressions once I get the car, and if I discover the car doesn't meet my expectations, I'll be sure to share that as well.
I agree with you completely. I also have an i8 Roadster on order (Week 27 Production) and I'm constantly amazed how some people feel "their car" must win by the loss of all others...

In particular, I have experience owning two other EV's daily drivers (before the i8) and it is sad how much prejudice is out there stacked against electric vehicles in general.

The i8 is definitely not the most practical of EV's, but I'm still looking forward to owning it for other reasons...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 04:40 PM   #3
ImGoingPlaces
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: AMG GTS

I think the majority of those who debate such things do so with good intentions, its all in good fun. Always a few bad apples but its easy enough to ignore them. Congrats
Appreciate 0