BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

02-27-2024, 05:30 PM   #1
frankcamp
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i3

BMW lease ripping me off?

I was about to return my leased i3 to the dealership. The pre-inspection indicated the rear tires need to be replaced - due to low tread depth.

I measured it by myself and both show good amount left (5-6/32 inch). However, the dealer staff told me that BMW measure the tread depth from the top of the wear indicator.

On the lease agreement about the tire: the lowest point of the tread depth should be no less than 1/8". So I insisted that the "BMW standard" does not make sense or did not fully disclosed to the customer at the lease.

I was shocked as I have never heard such "standard" before. I consulted with my mechanics, searched online on all the major tire manufactures' website. All indicating that the tread depth is from the bottom of the tread to the top of the tire surface.

I called BMW USA, but they are very firm and indifferent to this situation. They told me I had to follow what the dealership told me.

What do you think of this situation? I tend to yield and replace the tires for ~$700. But I still do not understand.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 10:48 AM   #2
luckyJ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Hi. Isn’t there a lease return disposition fee? And that will cover any “wear and tear”?

1997 993 Targa...sold
1991 964 C4....sold
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 06:00 PM   #3
note46
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M Coupe, 328d SW, i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyJ View Post
Hi. Isn’t there a lease return disposition fee? And that will cover any “wear and tear”?
in short no, the disposition fee and wear and tear items are two separate items.

last few bmws I leased, I paid about $15-18/month more to get up to $5K in wear and tear and other damages covered.

The disposition fee must be paid, unless you buy or lease another BMW and use BMW financial, in which case they will wave the fee.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 06:52 PM   #4
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
When I was much younger and poorer, I used to cut the tread wear bars out of my tires to extend their life. I found that they block the grooves from draining in the rain, and were making my cars squirrelly or even hydroplane in heavier rains.

Just saying.....
      03-10-2024, 07:44 PM   #5
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankcamp View Post
I measured it by myself and both show good amount left (5-6/32 inch). However, the dealer staff told me that BMW measure the tread depth from the top of the wear indicator.
Top of the wear indicator is the requirement to CPO a off-lease car, not lease return. If you pull up the CPO checklist, you will see that requirement there.

Lease return is just simple 4/32nd tread depth at the thinnest tread.
https://www.bmwusa.com/return-vehicle.html

Either dealer is stupid or they are trying to get out of paying new tires to CPO the car to their inventory.
      03-21-2024, 12:41 AM   #6
Xspeedracer
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [10.00]
As long as I’ve worked on cars the tread depth indicator measures from the center grove in the tire, never at the tread wear indicator because that is the federal DOT required limit for the tires when the bar is showing that is the legal limit period
Appreciate 0