Drives: F80 M3

Lightbulb BMW i3 Priced at $41,350 in the U.S. and 34,950 euros in Germany

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW i3 Pricing Announced for U.S. at $41,350
COMMENTS

US Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price just $41,350
Base Price of 34,950 Euros Announced in Germany
The Ultimate Driving Machine® in a new era of sustainability

Woodcliff Lake, NJ - 3:00 am EDT/12:00 am PDT July 22, 2013…
BMW today announced pricing for the ground-breaking BMW i3 electric vehicle. The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (without Destination & Handling) in the US will be $41,350, before any federal or state incentives. The Destination & Handling fee in the US is currently $925.

“The BMW i3 heralds the dawn of a new era for individual mobility and for the BMW Group. True to a genuine BMW, the BMW i3 has strong emotional appeal, outstanding product substance and a guarantee of sheer driving pleasure,” said Ian Robertson, Member of the Board of Management, Sales and Marketing BMW. “With this leading-edge vehicle and attractive price, we will provide customers with a compelling offer for electromobility.”

The BMW i3’s 170 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque hybrid-synchronous electric motor, developed and produced by BMW, is electrified by a 22-kWh lithium-ion battery, good for 80-100 miles of emission-free driving. Designed from the ground up to be an electric car, the BMW i3 uses the Industry’s first mass produced carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) passenger cell mounted on an aluminum chassis.

The BMW i3 will offer interior space comparable to the legendary BMW 3 Series on a shorter overall body. Its 32.3-foot turning circle and a relatively long wheelbase make it agile and engaging to drive, yet ideally suited to driving in dense urban areas.

Quick and convenient charging is possible either with the home charging station supplied by BMW i or at any public charging station that uses a Level 2 SAE J1772 charging system. DC fast charging, using the SAE DC Combo-Fast Charger, will be available as an option. From a public fast-charging station, it will provide an 80 percent charge from a fully depleted battery in just 20 minutes.

BMW i’s commitment to sustainable urban mobility encompasses the i3 production facilities, where hydro-electric, wind and solar power are used to power the CFRP production facilities in Moses Lake, Washington and the Leipzig, Germany assembly line. Sustainable materials are also used for the BMW i3 interior upholstery and trim.

The BMW i3 will make its world debut at three simultaneous events in New York, London and Beijing on Monday, July 29. It will arrive in US showrooms in the second quarter of 2014.

GERMAN Pricing:

Base price of 34,950 Euros has been announced in Germany.

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Awesome! Wonder what the cost of options will bring this thing up to. Hopefully they make a lot of traditional upgrades standard at that price... but then again that's unlikely to happen given the technology in this thing.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
MI6
The World is Not Enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston DBS-R

i wouldn't say a 41 grand starting price is awesome for something that looks like the result of an X3 and a Smart Car's one night stand.

Also, with options this thing will easily top 50k- not so good when you look at what else is out there and what is on it's way.

Again BMW is launching cars that are outside US consumer expectations pricing wise (don't even get me started on a decently loaded 640i GC).

That being said, it is more the probable BMW has chosen this route as the "i"
division has been very expensive to develop and then produce and that cost has to at least be recovered no doubt.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Not too bad.

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
Theride
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI6 View Post
i wouldn't say a 41 grand starting price is awesome for something that looks like the result of an X3 and a Smart Car's one night stand.

Also, with options this thing will easily top 50k- not so good when you look at what else is out there and what is on it's way.

Again BMW is launching cars that are outside US consumer expectations pricing wise (don't even get me started on a decently loaded 640i GC).

division has been very expensive to develop and then produce and that cost has to at least be recovered no doubt.
LOL why do you guys come on here and chastise bmw on their pricing, yet their sales keep going up every year.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Better offer electric seats if they want me to ever buy something like this. Need aggressive leases and rates to get these all over the road. Leases around 350/mo will be a great start.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theride View Post
LOL why do you guys come on here and chastise bmw on their pricing, yet their sales keep going up every year.
Why let the good be the enemy of the best?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #8
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Hopefully this marks the emergence of economies of scale coming into play for the use of carbon fiber. With any luck, the main body, and possibly even the chassis, of all cars could be made from CF, reducing weight and increasing fuel economy at once while leaving the basic gas engine at the same power as it is today. Increased safety, greater fuel efficiency and overall faster cars in one "swell foop."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #9
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

This car will be incredibly popular in progressive places like Hollywood, San Francisco, etc. Even millionaires used to buy Prius, now, they have a better option from 'BMW' brand.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #10
palpatine_us
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i

Let's see the options list and the prices associated. Will it be $50K - 60K? If so, you're getting really close to Tesla territory.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #11
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Ł26,000 in the UK by the time government incentives kick in... bargain.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #12
marcva
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M345

Tesla territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by palpatine_us View Post
Let's see the options list and the prices associated. Will it be $50K - 60K? If so, you're getting really close to Tesla territory.

I've seen a fair number of Tesla Ss around the DC area. Nice looking cars. It will be interesting to see how fast they can come down their own cost curve.

Roadster $100k+
Tesla S $84k(?)

If tesla can produce the quality that they have for ~$50k, they may have a winner on their hands.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #13
Braap
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 2013 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theride
Quote:

+1 Pay to play brother..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #14
BMWRL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 528xi

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theride View Post
I love when people come on here to complain about how high the prices are, and then bitch when BMWs are no longer exclusive because everyone has one.
      07-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #15
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
This car will be incredibly popular in progressive places like Hollywood, San Francisco, etc. Even millionaires used to buy Prius, now, they have a better option from 'BMW' brand.
Surely that is not what BMW had in mind to make a profit. Millionaires buying the i3 instead of a Prius.

Fact is people that are green are usually frugal people. I bet a lot of Leaf and Prius owners never even owned a BMW.

Question is will they buy this for more than double the cost of a Leaf?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #16
misterbeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92, E46 M3, E39 M5, 750Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL530xit View Post
I love when people come on here to complain about how high the prices are, and then bitch when BMWs are no longer exclusive because everyone has one.
The high numbers is probably due to the fact that a lot of people lease their BMW and not actually buy it. Does BMW give out sale vs lease numbers?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #17
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
The Leaf is $29k, isn't rwd, has horrific resale and has no option for a range extender.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #18
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Quote:
Surely that is not what BMW had in mind to make a profit. Millionaires buying the i3 instead of a Prius.

This car has been created and will be sold in an effort to boost the average "fleet" fuel economy ratings for BMW, all car companies are currently doing this. Yes it's being marketed and hyped as a new-age way of travel and they're definitely playing the "being green" card, etc., but in reality BMW (just like everyone else) is being forced into action.

Based on new regulations the bottom line becomes that if you want to produce a fire-breathing M-Car, you need to offset it with a fuel sipping car, and/or electric vehicles. As a matter of fact Electric vehicles are counted twice during the averaging process according to the article below.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...ally-mean-54-5

Don't get me wrong.. they'll sell the sh*t out of them in LA/NY/SF, etc... but there are probably not too many people in the mid-west willing to plunk down $700-800/mo on a car that will likely only save them a few hundred a month in fuel purchases (just doesn't make economic sense)... Only in bigger cities does personal vanity rise to a level where people spend more to save less. LOL.

BTW, as far as I know there is nothing that says the cars must sell on par with the gas guzzlers, only that they're available.

Personally I think both of the iCars are ugly and overpriced, but it's a means to an end. I'm just happy a lobbyist somewhere left a loop-hole in the regulations large enough for me to drive an M5 through.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #19
tommolog
Tom Moloughney
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3s BEV

Quote:

Fact is people that are green are usually frugal people. I bet a lot of Leaf and Prius owners never even owned a BMW.

If it were more than double the cost of a LEAF than BMW would have a problem but luckily it's not, and not even close to that.

The least expensive LEAF is the LEAF S and it starts at $28,800. It's basically a stripped down LEAF. The LEAF in SL trim is actually what would be closest to an i3 and the price is $35,690.

So even the least expensive LEAF is only 30% less and a more comparable trim is actually only 14% less.

The i3 goes 0-60 in 7 seconds and the LEAF does it in about 9.8 seconds. I think that alone is worth the extra 14%! However they are different cars and are only compared because they both use electricity to power them. Do we compare an Altima to the 3-Series frequently?
      07-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #20
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread

The Leaf is $29k, isn't rwd, has horrific resale and has no option for a range extender.
The leaf is 29-37K and resale is not bad at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #21
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

The current Leaf has a 7sec 0-60...
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #22
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Tesla s is $125k.

I would never buy the i series or any other electric car for this price. If i do get one, it would be as my daily commuter and for much less. The fiat 500e is $199 a month.
Who would buy any of these cars well equipped? That is a joke! Haha

I love gas guzzlers.
Appreciate 0