BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

06-09-2014, 12:51 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post BMW Launches App to Automate Home Charging Process for BMW i Electric Vehicles

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW Launches App to Automate the Home Charging Process for BMW i Electric Vehicles
COMMENTS
Name:  P90152597-highRes.jpg
Views: 3896
Size:  91.5 KB

BMW Launches First App to Automate the Home Charging Process for BMW i Electric Vehicles.

June 9, 2014

BMW Smart Charging App Determines Optimal Times for Charging Electric Vehicles Based on Rates and Calculates Cost.

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – June 9, 2014…
The new BMW Smart Charging App makes it possible for BMW i customers to automatically identify the best rates and times for charging their electric vehicles at home. Developed by the BMW Group and available for Android and iOS devices, the BMW Smart Charging App is integrated with the BMW i Remote App, which allows drivers to get vehicle information via their smartphone. The BMW Smart Charging App has the potential to save customers as much as $400 annually on their electric bills. BMW is the first automotive manufacturer to offer this automated and fully integrated functionality.

In its initial phase, the BMW Smart Charging App is currently available to BMW Electronauts. Electronauts are electric vehicle enthusiasts who leased a BMW ActiveE as part of the company’s field trial which began in 2012, many of whom were among the first in the U.S. to take delivery of a BMW i3. Through a direct connection to a national energy rate database hosted by BMW Group partner, software company Genability, BMW i3 drivers will be able to automate their charging strategy in advance for daily and weekly use. They can also check their energy rates in this database, determine the optimal times to charge their vehicles and get transparency over the charging costs.

“By automating the at-home charging planning process with the BMW Smart Charging App, we are offering BMW i customers greater convenience and helping them conserve energy while maximizing their cost savings,” said Jose Guerrero, Product Manager and U.S. Product Planning and Strategy for BMW i, BMW of North America.

By linking the BMW ConnectedDrive interface through the BMW i Remote App, customers can also precondition their BMW i3 vehicles’ temperature, see their vehicle status, view actual charging times and related costs, and adjust and disable their charging settings remotely.

“BMW is dedicated to improving the at-home charging experience for customers so they can best optimize their electric vehicles for daily use. The BMW Smart Charging App provides BMW i3 drivers with an easy-to-use app that is integrated with the vehicle,” said Julian Lienich, Project Lead, BMW Group.

The BMW Smart Charging App will be available to all BMW i3 and BMW i8 customers in the U.S. in 2015.

Name:  P90152596-highRes.jpg
Views: 3733
Size:  93.7 KB

Name:  P90152597-highRes.jpg
Views: 3896
Size:  91.5 KB

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
Kevin_Genius@BMWMtLaurel
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: -

So I'm going to assume this is similar to the BMW i Remote application in regards to functionality?

96 Volvo 850 Turbo 120k
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 02:04 PM   #3
wontonbomb
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBD

Looks cool...but how many of us are going to plan our charges in such a way? I would assume most ppl would charge when they get home from work (i.e. 6pm-7am).

I'd most likely use this app just to see how much it's costing me to charge.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 03:25 PM   #4
Kevin_Genius@BMWMtLaurel
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by iczer34 View Post
Looks cool...but how many of us are going to plan our charges in such a way? I would assume most ppl would charge when they get home from work (i.e. 6pm-7am).

I could see this being used to effectively save BMW i customers a ton of money on electricity bills by avoiding peak usage times on the grid and using cheaper electricity when it's available

96 Volvo 850 Turbo 120k
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 04:07 PM   #5
MacOSR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16 X5M, 18 M550, 21 M5C, 23 M8

Or...sell this data to the power companies and let them (with owner approval) set charging schedules for electric cars to maximize their power delivery systems and loads.

I would be ok with getting home and telling the system that I don't plan on driving my car again until 6am and let it decide when and/or how fast to charge my vehicle.

It's not just saving me money it's also green.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 07:23 PM   #6
NAV8TT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 ///M3 E92 DCT ZCP

06-09-2014, 09:15 PM   #7
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Genius@BMWMtLaurel
Quote:
Originally Posted by iczer34 View Post

I could see this being used to effectively save BMW i customers a ton of money on electricity bills by avoiding peak usage times on the grid and using cheaper electricity when it's available
Every penny and then some to be recouped in the charging station (or vehicle) cost
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #8
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

The availability of a structured electric rate is not available everywhere, and can sometimes require a fairly significant installation cost. So, you need to do some research to verify it will save you money.

But, from a power grid viewpoint, late night is a good place to have heavy loads like charging an EV when most of the power plants are either idling or taken off-line.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 11:09 AM   #9
Sean@PSI
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 Sedan

Awesome idea.

I really hope to see this in use on a daily basis in a few years.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 04:09 PM   #10
4corners
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Garage List
SoCal Edison will install a separate meter for electric cars. And the rate will differ. Currently .13 cents kwh for domestic, and it would be .33 cents kwh for electric cars.

That means when you by an electric car you HAVE TO notify your power company, or maybe the car sales place does. Not sure.

This makes me uncomfortable. It's a strong argument for off the grid power source.

Will the ultimate cost of energy go down if we are taxed to what the market will bear, as we are now.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 08:32 PM   #11
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4corners View Post
SoCal Edison will install a separate meter for electric cars. And the rate will differ. Currently .13 cents kwh for domestic, and it would be .33 cents kwh for electric cars.

That means when you by an electric car you HAVE TO notify your power company, or maybe the car sales place does. Not sure.

This makes me uncomfortable. It's a strong argument for off the grid power source.

Will the ultimate cost of energy go down if we are taxed to what the market will bear, as we are now.
Quick calculation here, but a $.33 per kWh would cost 5.26 to fill a Volt. That comes out to about 26 MPGe....
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 11:00 PM   #12
popsmuf
Rep
Drives: 08 Cayenne TT

This app is a complete failure. It does not allow you to use the Low-Cost time setting if you use the BMW provided charger.

I have an i3 REX, and I'm using the 120V charger the dealership provided. Its been 15 days since I bought the car, and after sending photos and video so the failure to function correctly. The official stance from BMW is that this function does not work with the 120V charger. Ummm... why provide a charger if it doesn't work with one of the most critical functions???
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 01:26 AM   #13
Rapcat
Private
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Genius@BMWMtLaurel View Post
Low cost charging is already built into the car. And you can remotely schedule it from the i remote app. I think the only thing this adds is the ability to lookup the rates from your local company and to also vary the schedule more over the week. The low cost charging works as is though.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 01:27 AM   #14
Rapcat
Private
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by popsmuf View Post
This app is a complete failure. It does not allow you to use the Low-Cost time setting if you use the BMW provided charger.

I have an i3 REX, and I'm using the 120V charger the dealership provided. Its been 15 days since I bought the car, and after sending photos and video so the failure to function correctly. The official stance from BMW is that this function does not work with the 120V charger. Ummm... why provide a charger if it doesn't work with one of the most critical functions???
Are you setting a departure time?
Appreciate 0