03-03-2017, 08:15 PM   #1
cpiguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Should I unplug my i3 when it's fully charged

So, I plug my i3 in when I get home and leave it plugged in for weeks a time, especially when on vacation, which is often. I'm curious, does the i3 draw electricity even when it's fully charged. Also, how long does it take for the battery to drain when sitting idle in the garage?

Thanks in advance.

CPIGUY
2017 Ferrari 488 Spider
2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
2019 BMW X5 MSport, in coming
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 08:17 AM   #2
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpiguy View Post
So, I plug my i3 in when I get home and leave it plugged in for weeks a time, especially when on vacation, which is often. I'm curious, does the i3 draw electricity even when it's fully charged. Also, how long does it take for the battery to drain when sitting idle in the garage?

Thanks in advance.
I've been told from dealers and others just to keep it plugged in.

If you have it where it pre conditions on the morning and leave on vacation after a few attempts and you don't drive it it will abort any further preconditions until you drive it next.

Otherwise it's not going to go empty for a long time otherwise If you don't plug it in but your choice in the end.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 10:09 AM   #3
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpiguy
I've been told from dealers and others just to keep it plugged in.

If you have it where it pre conditions on the morning and leave on vacation after a few attempts and you don't drive it it will abort any further preconditions until you drive it next.

Otherwise it's not going to go empty for a long time otherwise If you don't plug it in but your choice in the end.
What <c> said, with a few more data points.

I left my i3 unplugged a few times in airport parking lots, and on average, the main 48V battery was loosing ~1% of charge per day left unplugged. In the winter, it was closer to ~1.5-2% per day.

It's worthwhile to note that i3 also has a traditional 12V battery for running in-car electronics. If that one depletes, you will not be able to unlock the i3 or get it to start. Sounds strange, but the larger 48V 22kW or 33kW (depending on model) battery doesn't recharge the traditional 12V automatically, when parked, only when ignition is ON:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ger-31664.html

Normally, I leave it plugged in overnight, just like I do with my cell phones. Leaving it plugged in also ensure that you depart with full battery charge even if you pre-conditioned (pre-heated) the car in the winter before departure.

a

Last edited by afadeev; 03-04-2017 at 10:15 AM..
Appreciate 0