BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

07-05-2016, 09:37 AM   #1
Vetsky
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Bike rack solution for the i8

Hey all,

So I'm a pretty avid bike rider and needed a decent bike rack solution. I have been using this for a little bit, and thought you guys might appreciate the tip.

I have used it on the highway and around the house, so far ZERO issues. It is easier and just as good as the Thule on our X5.

It is called the Seersucker Talon. Let me know if you guys have any questions.

Please excuse the crappy iPhone pics.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-05-2016, 10:04 AM   #2
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Appreciate the tip, thanks.

Looks are something to get used to, though. Looks like a biker jumped onto your car and got stuck in the rear window. :-)

Are there no options where the bike lays flat on the rear?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 04:34 PM   #3
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
This is awesome!

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 12:45 AM   #4
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight
Appreciate the tip, thanks.

Looks are something to get used to, though. Looks like a biker jumped onto your car and got stuck in the rear window. :-)

Are there no options where the bike lays flat on the rear?
Never seen the bike flat on the rear on these kinds of cars but my friend uses a similar one to this that attaches to the roof (or maybe it's the same but placed differently). Have seen it on my friends i8 and Huracan and I have to say it kinda looks cool when it's on the roof. Sadly I don't bike so I'll never get the privilege of looking like a biker landed on my i8's roof.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 01:12 AM   #5
Louv
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mephisto Gray

Personally, I wouldn't trust that that glass had been engineered for that. Around town, probably OK, but the wind load at freeway speeds would put some serious strain on the glass. I'd also be worried about hitting a big bump, maybe going around a turn. Some unusual stresses and you could lose your bike and the rear glass.

Worst case scenario: your bicycle falls off, and a motorcycle following you hits it and crashes.

But that's me. I'm not a mechanical engineer. I don't even play one on TV.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2016, 01:52 AM   #6
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Wouldn't BMW's rear rack be better. I have this rack for my convertible and works great. Their's accessories to carry skies, snow boards and general items.

07-06-2016, 04:19 AM   #7
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Wouldn't BMW's rear rack be better. I have this rack for my convertible and works great. Their's accessories to carry skies, snow boards and general items.

It doesn't show up as an accessory for the i8 on BMW's website. I don't think it would fit.

The website doesn't say how it attaches. Is it mounted under the car? Could you share a picture?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 01:55 PM   #8
kenkenclub
Rep
Drives: M6 M4 i8 i3 X6

No, don't do that, have something 15lbs on your thinner than usual rear glass is like someone constantly trying to pull your glass away from the car. faster you drive stronger it pull. I lease a i3 for my bike, its like $150/month.....
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 12:30 PM   #9
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I'm thinking a sea sucker would work for my windsurfer around town. But a proper roof rack would seal the deal for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 04:54 PM   #10
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight View Post
It doesn't show up as an accessory for the i8 on BMW's website. I don't think it would fit.

The website doesn't say how it attaches. Is it mounted under the car? Could you share a picture?
Still interested in finding out how this one attaches.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 04:39 PM   #11
archHW
Registered
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Bmw i8 Red Protonic Edition

Hello... My protonic red edition will be delivered normally end this month... But I do have a question... I want to go snowboarding using it, does any one has expertise or recommendation or an idea if there's a solution to get my snowboard with me and the i8? :-) If I look up I find some similar things to mount as the bike carrier described in this thread... But I don't find any experiences mentioned regarding snowboard/skies... Thx
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 04:51 PM   #12
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by archHW View Post
Hello... My protonic red edition will be delivered normally end this month... But I do have a question... I want to go snowboarding using it, does any one has expertise or recommendation or an idea if there's a solution to get my snowboard with me and the i8? :-) If I look up I find some similar things to mount as the bike carrier described in this thread... But I don't find any experiences mentioned regarding snowboard/skies... Thx
SeaSucker has a suction cup mounting system for skis and snowboards. Check out their website. If that will hold on to a CF roof (as opposed to a painted one), I don't know.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 01:40 AM   #13
archHW
Registered
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Bmw i8 Red Protonic Edition

Hello, I noticed on their website, but I was curious if someone had experiences with it... I loved driving it during my testweek so much that I think it would be a shame if I can't use it to go snowboarding ;-)
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 09:11 AM   #14
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I'm guessing that the SeaSucker snowboard rack would have two suction cups that attach to the windshield, and two more back on the rear of the roof. A lot of 'unknowns': First the roof surface, and second, the 'hardened' glass. Both could be more prone to stress fractures; but the SeaSucker mounts are flexible and involve vacuum for adhesion, so they should work fine. I would check on insurance coverage as I'm guessing both SeaSucker and BMW would deny responsibility. Frankly for a snowboard I would just keep it inside the car. Unfortunately for me I have windsurfers that are too long for that.

Moreover it is likely problematic to run a 'safety line' over the boards and through the inside of the roof, given the complexity of the doors. I might try to find secure anchors under the hood that a line from the front of the board could be attached to.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 09:29 AM   #15
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
I'm guessing that the SeaSucker snowboard rack would have two suction cups that attach to the windshield, and two more back on the rear of the roof. A lot of 'unknowns': First the roof surface, and second, the 'hardened' glass. Both could be more prone to stress fractures; but the SeaSucker mounts are flexible and involve vacuum for adhesion, so they should work fine. I would check on insurance coverage as I'm guessing both SeaSucker and BMW would deny responsibility. Frankly for a snowboard I would just keep it inside the car. Unfortunately for me I have windsurfers that are too long for that.

Moreover it is likely problematic to run a 'safety line' over the boards and through the inside of the roof, given the complexity of the doors. I might try to find secure anchors under the hood that a line from the front of the board could be attached to.
The board version of the SeaSucker comes in two pieces that can be freely placed. Both will fit on the roof behind each other. I'm just wondering if the roof surface finish is smooth enough to ensure a tight vacuum seal. Strength would not be a concern of mine here. Not with the relatively light load of a snowboard or a pair of skis.

Frankly, I've never seen anyone running a rope around the whole contraption and through the inside of the car to tie it down. Any car with framed door windows will give you difficulties here, the hinging doesn't really make a difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 10:34 AM   #16
Vetsky
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I think the sea suckers would be fine for a board.

I recently sold my i8, but I used it all summer with ZERO issues. Both on the highway and bumpy dirt roads. I wouldn't buy the BMW rack even if it did work. The sea suckers go on and come off quickly and are easy to store when not in use.

I will use it next year on my Ferrari with zero concerns. I highly recommend it.

My Photo Thread / Instagram
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 10:46 AM   #17
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
You can set them up sideways. Maybe with a snowboard in them, you get a bit of extra downforce.
Appreciate 0