06-18-2016, 01:07 AM   #1
Mightymousemighty
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: i8(16) RangeR (15) TeslaX (17)

A Hybrid of the i8 and Tesla S

My new i8 comes soon finally!!!

I test drove the model S. In the UK it's still a rarity. I'm actually thinking of the Model X for my missus.

I was blown away by the technology and my favourite part of the i8 experience to date was actually the whole e-drive concept. I just can't help think that the perfect car is an i8/tesla hybrid concept.

The model S is so boring to look at. I had it for a couple of days and had it at work, and was identical in detailing to a Mazda saloon my colleague was driving. Not worth the money from that aspect. The X is definitely better looking in my view but it's all subjective. Lots of people think the i3 is grotesque, I love it.

The i8 would be perfect if it had a bigger battery capacity (say 80 miles) and electric motor in my view.

They might have these things in mind for the next I cars, but in the skin of a i8

If BMW pays attention they need to move closer to the tesla in terms of the electric experience.

I have to say I'm a recent convert to the whole electric thing, It's fab!!

Last edited by Mightymousemighty; 06-18-2016 at 01:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 09:18 AM   #2
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Congratulations

But be careful what you wish for. A 4x electric range would ruin the i8, as it would add so much weight.

The Tesla S is a VERY heavy car, but that is ok as it is a fast saloon and not a sports car. My comparison is in here: http://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1016260

The i8 is almost perfect IMHO. Key faults are the many missing features though.

It could certainly do with wider, stickier rubber too, but that is just a wish rather than a fault, as it handles and grips well for its intended usage. Easily fixed for a price if it really bothers anyone though.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 01:19 PM   #3
Mightymousemighty
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Good article mate

You are probably right. Two different cars I suppose.

A friend of a Friend works in the batteries manufacturing game and he says the EV industry and just about every manufacturing industry is crying out for the next gen in battery technology.

In 10 years time the landscape may be well different.

On a secondary note, I am considering HRE wheels but I agree it doesnt actually need it as I trashed the i8 in B roads and it handled impeccably. I think this is a physiological hang up; sport car=fat sticky tyres
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2016, 03:03 PM   #4
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightymousemighty View Post
Good article mate

A friend of a Friend works in the batteries manufacturing game and he says the EV industry and just about every manufacturing industry is crying out for the next gen in battery technology.

On a secondary note, I am considering HRE wheels but I agree it doesnt actually need it as I trashed the i8 in B roads and it handled impeccably. I think this is a physiological hang up; sport car=fat sticky tyres
Love your last sentence. One of the many things people still have to get over with a changing sports car world.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 03:49 PM   #5
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightymousemighty View Post
Good article mate

Thanks, glad you enjoyed my review(s).

Totally agree about battery tech, and this is already happening. There is already a battery upgrade for the i3 which adds something like 50% capacity, in the same form factor. That will double in 2-3 years.

I too wanted the HRE wheels....but the cost has put me off. They would definitely improve grip levels, but at a huge cost.

Fat sticky tyres are indeed better, but the BMW ones are "adequate". If I did not have my Lotus, I would be far more tempted to bite the bullet and get new wheels for my i8. But I can accept the i8 as a very different car, with a lower performance envelope.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 08:18 PM   #6
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
When you try to compare the i8 with the Tesla model S, you end up confused at the least. They are both really great cars in their own right. But they are also very different cars. And even though a fully loaded model 90D cost about the same as the i8, they couldn't be more different.

I would love the i8 to have much more electric range, but the battery technology is just not there yet for the i8 to have the same driving experience if they add more range. The i8s weight is just under 3,500 lbs. the model S just under 5,000 lbs. BIG difference is driving dynamics. But the battery technology will get lighter and when it does that's when we will probably see a shift to electric vehicles in every model range from all car manufacturers. At least that's my opinion.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 06:23 AM   #7
Mightymousemighty
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

I'm not necessarily saying make the i8 a whale with much more batteries. Well actually that's exactly what I'm saying... What I'm saying is a wee bit more e range would be nice!! ...I'm confused!!

What I thought was exceptional about the Tesla was their FU attitude. Let's do it. Whereas I can imagine BMW executives with PowerPoint presentations in a battleship grey boardroom. I know this didn't happen or the i8 with its spaceship looks would never have happened, but it's a hard image to shake off.

I think what BMW has done with the i8 is amazing, I have bought one after all. And I've done the whole M car thing, and fast SUV thing, done with that. My outgoing is a M5 competition pack. That power with rear wheel drive just don't work in Most of the U.K. Not an easy car to enjoy if I'm honest. Never in public though!

The i8 was planted!

To sum up With abit of Teslas attitude and BMW attitude and styling, my god!!
Appreciate 6