Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post Next Gen BMW i8 May Go Fully Electric

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Next Gen BMW i8 May Go Fully Electric
COMMENTS

According to Autocar, BMW may be turning the next generation i8 fully electric by ditching its 1.5L gas engine. In place of the current hybrid system, the all-electric i8 would be powered by a larger battery and three new high revving brushless electric motors - two powering the rear wheels while the third powers the front wheels.

The new electric motors are claimed to operate at a much higher internal speed than the units used by the current i8, and would produce up to 268 horsepowers each. For comparison the current i8 produces 357 horsepowers in total.

“BMW has a great history of high-revving combustion engines,” said Autocar's source. “We’re looking to take this tradition into the electric car arena with electric motors that rev far higher than those seen in production today.” As well as providing greater power, the high-revving nature of the prototype electric motors allows them to be made in a more compact form than those in use today. “Revs are the route to making electric motors smaller,” said BMW.

The carbon fiber structure would be modified with a wider center tunnel to house the larger battery. And despite the increased battery size, there would be no weight gain from the current i8.

Before the all-electric i8 arrives, the current i8 will receive a facelift/refresh, which may have been spotted recently - see our spy photos.

Appreciate 3
      06-23-2016, 10:43 AM   #2
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
Who cares
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2016, 10:58 AM   #3
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

the range will need to be well over 250 miles for this to gain any traction in the market. if not it will remain a niche car for those who buy it just to say they have it
      06-23-2016, 11:02 AM   #4
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

thread closed....

Last edited by YungDro; 12-10-2019 at 07:06 PM..
Appreciate 8
      06-23-2016, 11:09 AM   #5
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Credit to BMW for doing it but...

...instead of listening to people who aren't buying it because it has a small 3 pot instead of a 6 pot or V8 and can't compete with other cars in the segment (oh wait sorry I forgot no one considers a 911 Turbo or R8 a competitor when spending 130k) BMW remove the engine.

Audi just did this and scrapped it in favour of an NA V10

I have no problem with electric cars but do it bottom up, not top down, after all supercars are niche and contribute very little to world pollution.

But hey what do I know , I'm just a customer
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2016, 11:24 AM   #6
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw

...instead of listening to people who aren't buying it because it has a small 3 pot instead of a 6 pot or V8 and can't compete with other cars in the segment (oh wait sorry I forgot no one considers a 911 Turbo or R8 a competitor when spending 130k) BMW remove the engine.

I have no problem with electric cars but do it bottom up, not top down, after all supercars are niche and contribute very little to world pollution.

We're little fish In a very large pond. BMW doesn't care what enthusiasts think or want anymore. They make more selling to the masses.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2016, 11:31 AM   #7
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123
Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw

We're little fish In a very large pond. BMW doesn't care what enthusiasts think or want anymore. They make more selling to the masses.
I wonder which BMW considers more of a commercial success; the i3 (which is literally being given away with purchase of more expensive BMWs) or the i8 (which did create a 'halo' for the sub-brand and sold well for a time)?
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2016, 11:46 AM   #8
DJKapeesh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i, 13' 911 C2S, 10' X5D

This is what happens when Tesla leaks their pattents
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2016, 12:02 PM   #9
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by YungDro
we want a V10 V12 supercar.
Hear hear
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 12:08 PM   #10
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Does everyone not recognize that the future of all electric is currently not sustainable given that our current hydro infrastructure is inadequate if everyone has one instead of ICE's.
I don't believe that one day all cars will be all electric....this is just in between technology to keep the greenies happy!
Please someone prove me wrong!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 12:25 PM   #11
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRCHP
Who cares
Clearly you do not.

Why not care and post elsewhere with your carelessness.
Appreciate 2
      06-23-2016, 12:26 PM   #12
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz
Does everyone not recognize that the future of all electric is currently not sustainable given that our current hydro infrastructure is inadequate if everyone has one instead of ICE's.
I don't believe that one day all cars will be all electric....this is just in between technology to keep the greenies happy!
Welcome to 2016. iNext !

You will learn that you were seriously wrong.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2016, 12:40 PM   #13
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut
Quote:
Welcome to 2016. iNext !

You will learn that you were seriously wrong.
Thanks....guess I'm a skeptic for electrics.
I don't think the future infrastructure for electrics will not resemble that of fossil fuels especially with driverless cars...i think it will look more like mass transit without the mass....and don't even get me started on the economics of this tech....but I guess time will tell what technologies prevail....interesting times to come,staying tuned.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 12:42 PM   #14
M3anPower
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I was hoping for AMG GT fighter but this?
I'll just pass
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 01:47 PM   #15
Amgeater2
Major
Rep
Drives: X6M, M8, Mc 600LT, 296GTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1990 View Post
I'll just pass
to be honest with you the I8 is more a 'super car' than the AMG GT all day (coming from a guy that daily drives both cars at the moment) they are 2 very different vehicles in their own way...
Appreciate 5
      06-23-2016, 01:53 PM   #16
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by YungDro View Post
we want a V10 V12 supercar.
Ferrari, Lamborghini, Audi R8, McLaren ... BMW is doing the right thing by staying out of this space. It doesn't have much of a future.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2016, 01:59 PM   #17
Makman
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BSM M2

Quote:
You are very wrong, sorry.

EV are the future because of many reasons, some being that they offer a much better safety, comfort, less service/no service and freedom, freedom of refueling. They will also preform alot better (alrdy doing in 0-62). They are just the natural step in advancement...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 02:03 PM   #18
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
Thanks....guess I'm a skeptic for electrics.
I don't think the future infrastructure for electrics will not resemble that of fossil fuels especially with driverless cars...i think it will look more like mass transit without the mass....and don't even get me started on the economics of this tech....but I guess time will tell what technologies prevail....interesting times to come,staying tuned.
Electricity, as opposed to gasoline, is already available in everybody's household, and a lot of cars get recharged overnight, when there is much less draw on the grid. Charging speed will be a challenge, though. Especially if you're driving mostly long distance. 5-min gas tank refills are hard to beat.

Driverless cars are a completely separate technology trend that happens to be pushed by similar players. How driverless cars, driver cars, and pedestrians will mix in the future, really is anybody's guess.
Appreciate 3
      06-23-2016, 02:05 PM   #19
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makman
Quote:
You are very wrong, sorry.

EV are the future because of many reasons, some being that they offer a much better safety, comfort, less service/no service and freedom, freedom of refueling. They will also preform alot better (alrdy doing in 0-62). They are just the natural step in advancement...
We will see.......currently ev's are a very small market player,and winters aren't too friendly on electrics and range is still an issue
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2016, 02:10 PM   #20
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

So, if I'm reading that right, 3 motors at 268 HP each would be 804 HP!?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 02:11 PM   #21
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
I'm not entirely sure what "hydro infrastructure" is, but I like to be generous in my interpretation. I'm guessing it's some difference in regional slang, referring to the infrastructure that delivers electricity to homes? Let me know if I've got that wrong.

It's true that if everyone plugged in their electric cars at once, most countries current infrastructure would simply fall apart. However, I think it's a naive to assume that this scenario will play out. Everyone isn't going to buy an electric car overnight. Also, the cost per unit of energy for electricity is much, much lower than the equivalent cost for petrol. There is room for upward movement of electric utility prices that can more than cover the cost of infrastructure upgrades.

IMO, this single issue will not prevent the increased adoption of electric vehicles. It is a problem that will be solved — for the most part — outside of the view of the consumer, and consumers tend to care about things that are within their view. Compromises like poor range and long refueling (used as a euphemism for recharging) times are much greater inhibitors of adoption. The slow progress of increases in battery capacity incentivize a gradual transition.

Quote:
So what is the penultimate technology that will surpass all-electric? Do you think we'll circle back around to heat engines?

I don't think batteries are the final destination, but I do think that electrics are here to stay. The primary driver of this being that with an electric, you centralize your power generation. With petrol, you've got a distributed power generation infrastructure. Each ICE powered automobile is its own little power generation facility. This is true even of non-hybrid ICE cars. Keep in mind that "power" is a unit of measure, just like centimeters and liters. In a traditional ICE, power is generated by combusting fuel, and is put to work directly. The otto-cycle ICE powerplant has a very finite thermodynamic efficiency ceiling, and there are no replacements on the horizon that look to break through this.

Contrast this with centralized power generation, and distributed storage. Centralized power generation has better thermodynamic efficiency in nearly every case. There is tremendous incentive to optimize this, because power generation facilities make or break their business on the margin they can squeeze out of a commodity market. You also have more options in a centralized model. When it comes to large scale power generation, we (as a society) actually have some really solid options already.

The distributed storage challenge is the one we haven't fully cracked yet. Lithium ion energy efficiency is positively incredible when compared to pretty much any heat engine (if you think of the fuel as a storage medium). The problem is that you have to factor in the energy expense of hauling around the battery. Lithium ion batteries are very, very heavy. We need higher power density, and faster charge/discharge cycles. Progress is being made, but it's slow.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 2
      06-23-2016, 02:12 PM   #22
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgeater2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1990 View Post
I'll just pass
to be honest with you the I8 is more a 'super car' than the AMG GT all day (coming from a guy that daily drives both cars at the moment) they are 2 very different vehicles in their own way...
I would love to hear much more comparison between the two......I have the i8 and was wondering how the AMG feels and drives. Love the i8.
Appreciate 0