Louv
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mephisto Gray

i8 Sales Trend (US)

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Here is the latest info for the sales trend for the i8 in the US.
(Sorry, I don't have worldwide numbers)

updated: July 2019 numbers = 280 sold!
Attached Images

Last edited by Louv; 07-20-2019 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: latest numbers - July 2019
Appreciate 3
      10-03-2016, 06:28 PM   #2
Taxdr1965
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: R8

Why do u think this car does not sell that well? Look at the huge incentives and discounts
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2016, 07:12 PM   #3
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
December of 2015 was wow! Whatever they did then they should do it again.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 07:34 PM   #4
Louv
Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf View Post
I'd guess that they dumped a bunch of 2015 inventory on the market at huge incentives because they weren't moving. But look what it did to demand in the first quarter! Probably a win overall (for their marketing department). If it was... we'll see it again in December '16.
Appreciate 2
      10-03-2016, 09:55 PM   #5
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
I think they counted cars sitting on the lot that had been there so long the warranty had to go "in service" as sales, padding the numbers. (After sitting for long enough an unsold car's warranty goes "in service" because they don't want to sell a car "new" after a year+ on the lot and only have it's warranty begin at the time of sale) Happened with a couple other models.
Appreciate 2
      10-04-2016, 01:39 AM   #6
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: On my 2nd i8 already

It's a halo / niche car and they should have limited production like they did for -say-, the m1, the z8 etc.

But then they think trees grow to the sky and market this car as if it was a 5 series.

I am one of the early adopters and paid full whack.

Whilst i love the car, i dislike the way bmw does things on the mass production front.

Bmw, you won't have me again as a customer.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 04:12 AM   #7
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Just because it sells low volume doesn't indicate for any item that it's bad or must stay away from .
If i8 were gasoline powered 3.0 V6 engine with turbo boost instead of present electric gasoline hybrid it would sell a lot more to me,there's still prejudice against hybrids I was kinda against hybrids too until I got behind the steering wheel of i8 ,but it would conflict the idea of what BMW wanted to do and i8 wouldn't be one of a kind given it's engine size and overall look
      10-04-2016, 10:51 AM   #8
Louv
Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsi View Post
It's a halo / niche car and they should have limited production like they did for -say-, the m1, the z8 etc.

But then they think trees grow to the sky and market this car as if it was a 5 series.

Whilst i love the car, i dislike the way bmw does things on the mass production front.

BMW never said this was a limited production car. If you paid more than list, that was your informed choice.

I think you want it as a limited production car because that benefits you, but that doesn't benefit BMW. They spent a huge amount of money on the technologies to build this (and the i3). Their accountants surely want them to recover those costs by selling more cars.

Either you enjoy the car, or you don't. If you bought it as "an investment" then you probably messed up. If you bought it because you love the technology, the design, the experience, then you probably succeeded.

Don't worry, BMW doesn't actually care if you return as a customer. Nor do they care about me. It's not personal. It's business.
Appreciate 15
      10-04-2016, 01:07 PM   #9
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxdr1965 View Post
Why do u think this car does not sell that well? Look at the huge incentives and discounts
It's still an expensive car that not everyone can (or should) afford. And the design is not exactly inconspicuous. Many people might find the car cool, but feel uncertain about being seen in one.

I personally don't mind the low sales numbers. Keeps the club a little more exclusive.
Appreciate 5
      10-04-2016, 01:09 PM   #10
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louv View Post
BMW never said this was a limited production car. If you paid more than list, that was your informed choice.

I think you want it as a limited production car because that benefits you, but that doesn't benefit BMW. They spent a huge amount of money on the technologies to build this (and the i3). Their accountants surely want them to recover those costs by selling more cars.

Either you enjoy the car, or you don't. If you bought it as "an investment" then you probably messed up. If you bought it because you love the technology, the design, the experience, then you probably succeeded.

Don't worry, BMW doesn't actually care if you return as a customer. Nor do they care about me. It's not personal. It's business.
Word!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 06:26 PM   #11
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsi

You sound more bitter that you over paid significantly for the i8 while others that waited a year and a half got it at a significant discount. You can't blame BMW for your choice to buy it. It was never supposed to be limited production car. But nothing wrong with being bitter as long as you realize it's not BMWs fault that you feel the way you do.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 2
      10-04-2016, 10:37 PM   #12
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
BMWNA guys were going around telling dealers that they should only expect 1-2 cars per year in the months leading up to launch. It's why, when I sat down with the manager of the dealership, they asked me to sign a document ensuring they got the right of first offer when I decided to sell the car (which they wouldn't have done if they knew they'd be getting 1-2 cars a month). The expectation among dealers then was that BMW might make 350-700 cars a year, because that is what they had been told.

They were told that so often and so sincerely that when I returned to the dealership with the car after 6 months and 5k miles, they didn't hesitate to buy it back, close to what I paid for it (MSRP minus taxes). I lucked out. I called them up the second I saw the news that i8 production was more than doubling, then I sold it...probably before that news had even reached the dealership, because at the time of selling it, they still thought they were only going to get one more in the next 12 months. A couple of months later they were sitting on 5 cars...so many they were just sitting on the lot next to the 1 series coupes. They got burned so badly by buying back my car, thinking they weren't getting more than 1-2 a year, that the guy I dealt with stopped responding to my inquiries about the M2, they won't even return my calls...all because I was quick enough to get them to buy it back before the bottom dropped out of the market.

BMW PR guys at trade shows were also talking up its exclusivity...so yes, there was an expectation generated mostly by PR hype at BMWNA and a drip feed of almost no i8 info for months to dealers.
Appreciate 4
      10-05-2016, 02:06 AM   #13
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You sound more bitter that you over paid significantly for the i8 while others that waited a year and a half got it at a significant discount. You can't blame BMW for your choice to buy it. It was never supposed to be limited production car. But nothing wrong with being bitter as long as you realize it's not BMWs fault that you feel the way you do.
Not bitter. I love the car as said in my first quote.

Porsche, Ferrari etc look after their customer when they produce hallo cars. Look at the 991r for example.

As mentioned by another member, bmw led you to think it was a low volume / production. And 2 years down the line everyone is talking about the best lease deal as bmw trying to flog them by the bucket load.

If they can't deal properly with customer buying premium cars, they won't get them in the future.
Appreciate 2
      10-05-2016, 11:47 AM   #14
Louv
Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsi View Post
If they can't deal properly with customer buying premium cars, they won't get them in the future.
IMHO, This is the fault of the Dealers, not BMW.
But then, BMW isn't a Super-Premium brand (Ferrari, Lambo, Rolls, etc.)

I've found the dealerships and sales people are just like Mercedes, Mazda, Toyota, etc.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2016, 12:00 PM   #15
Louv
Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
BMWNA guys were going around telling dealers that they should only expect 1-2 cars per year in the months leading up to launch. It's why, when I sat down with the manager of the dealership, they asked me to sign a document ensuring they got the right of first offer when I decided to sell the car (which they wouldn't have done if they knew they'd be getting 1-2 cars a month). The expectation among dealers then was that BMW might make 350-700 cars a year, because that is what they had been told.

They were told that so often and so sincerely that when I returned to the dealership with the car after 6 months and 5k miles, they didn't hesitate to buy it back, close to what I paid for it (MSRP minus taxes). I lucked out. I called them up the second I saw the news that i8 production was more than doubling, then I sold it...probably before that news had even reached the dealership, because at the time of selling it, they still thought they were only going to get one more in the next 12 months. A couple of months later they were sitting on 5 cars...so many they were just sitting on the lot next to the 1 series coupes. They got burned so badly by buying back my car, thinking they weren't getting more than 1-2 a year, that the guy I dealt with stopped responding to my inquiries about the M2, they won't even return my calls...all because I was quick enough to get them to buy it back before the bottom dropped out of the market.

BMW PR guys at trade shows were also talking up its exclusivity...so yes, there was an expectation generated mostly by PR hype at BMWNA and a drip feed of almost no i8 info for months to dealers.
I had pretty close contact with the Product Managers, PR Directors, and others within BMW during the development of their electric cars (ActiveE, i3, i8). I repeated asked them if the i8 was going to be a limited production car. The answer was always "No". Always. It never varied.

So... if any sales person told you that it was, it was because the sales person wanted you to think that it was, so you (and everyone) would pay premiums over list.

If a "PR Guy" at a trade show told you that, then I think there was some (intentional?) confusion between "exclusivity" and "limited production". I'd be curious to know the name of those PR Guys, I'd bet they were temp workers hired for the show, and not actual BMW employees. I might lose that bet, but that's my thought.

Also, BMW definitely had a slow production ramp because their manufacturing processes were not yet ready for large volumes. So there was careful allocation going on. Dealers were receiving limited numbers of cars. It was because production lines couldn't handle demand, not because of any artificial limitation of production.
Appreciate 2
      10-05-2016, 05:32 PM   #16
HHBruin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 (Protonic Blue)

Quote:
IMHO, This is the fault of the Dealers, not BMW.
But then, BMW isn't a Super-Premium brand (Ferrari, Lambo, Rolls, etc.)

I've found the dealerships and sales people are just like Mercedes, Mazda, Toyota, etc.

i think the OP, myself, and lots of others i8 owners don't distinguish between BMW and BMW dealers.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 08:22 PM   #17
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHBruin View Post
have a cookie.
Ew, raisins.

But anyway, I guess we were all told different stories in the lead up to the i8.

Back to sales. The i8 is a good car, if they have trouble selling them, all the better for prospective buyers.
Appreciate 1
Louv300.50
      10-05-2016, 10:01 PM   #18
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

[QUOTE=Carac;20664403]Ew, raisins.

Sour Grapes? Don't misunderstand HHBruin's remark. Rather, he believes the ongoing diatribe regarding how BMW has ripped us off and how your financial prowess in disposing the i8 sets you apart has been heard ad nauseum.

While I applaud your genius, I have not shared in your success when it comes to linear thought. For me, I wouldn't trade the last 18 months of sheer driving pleasure with my i8 in favor of waiting for a better deal down the line.
Appreciate 2
Aye-eight508.50
jesm203.00
      10-05-2016, 11:53 PM   #19
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=YWGT3;20664732]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
Ew, raisins.

Sour Grapes? Don't misunderstand HHBruin's remark. Rather, he believes the ongoing diatribe regarding how BMW has ripped us off and how your financial prowess in disposing the i8 sets you apart has been heard ad nauseum.

While I applaud your genius, I have not shared in your success when it comes to linear thought. For me, I wouldn't trade the last 18 months of sheer driving pleasure with my i8 in favor of waiting for a better deal down the line.
Well, we all have opinions. Mine was just that if BMW didn't want dealers to have to discount cars to the extent they are, they shouldn't have made so many i8's. You have a car that they wanted to be their innovation and design flagship and instead of deciding to amortize development of mass production carbon fiber chassis/bodies through its application in other models, they just decided to make as many i8's as they possibly can. The result being: the most enthusiastic and eager i8 owners buy theirs when production is limited simply by early QA to make sure their factory and assembly process is sound. They then flood the market producing the car at a rate 2-3x that of sales. The bottom falls out of the market and something they want to be perceived as a premium product is so ubiquitous that it's out on the lot with their middle-manager lease specials. No one gets what they really want, owners get accelerated depreciation, BMW takes a hit in both perception and profit. Instead, they could have treated i8 production more like Audi does with the R8, Mercedes with the SLS and AMG GT, etc. where a car is (supposed to) only be produced for a serious customer order. But, as is the case with most of their product portfolio choices over the past 10 years, the bean counters won.

Sorry if I've rubbed anyone the wrong way here. It's just from my perspective and what I had read/been told during the run up to the i8 launch, that the car would be fairly limited. I knew it wouldn't be an appreciating asset, but I didn't think the market would drop so quickly. They hadn't indicated that they would be making as many cars as they were so it felt like being sold a false promise of a rare car they just turned around and made as many as possible once they had "suckered" us into buying new ones at MSRP (or way above that for some people). I'm getting the impression that was a feeling not many of us had, sorry for assuming.
Appreciate 1
YWGT3362.50
      10-06-2016, 01:45 AM   #20
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep

[QUOTE=Carac;20665076]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGT3 View Post

Well, we all have opinions. Mine was just that if BMW didn't want dealers to have to discount cars to the extent they are, they shouldn't have made so many i8's. You have a car that they wanted to be their innovation and design flagship and instead of deciding to amortize development of mass production carbon fiber chassis/bodies through its application in other models, they just decided to make as many i8's as they possibly can. The result being: the most enthusiastic and eager i8 owners buy theirs when production is limited simply by early QA to make sure their factory and assembly process is sound. They then flood the market producing the car at a rate 2-3x that of sales. The bottom falls out of the market and something they want to be perceived as a premium product is so ubiquitous that it's out on the lot with their middle-manager lease specials. No one gets what they really want, owners get accelerated depreciation, BMW takes a hit in both perception and profit. Instead, they could have treated i8 production more like Audi does with the R8, Mercedes with the SLS and AMG GT, etc. where a car is (supposed to) only be produced for a serious customer order. But, as is the case with most of their product portfolio choices over the past 10 years, the bean counters won.

Sorry if I've rubbed anyone the wrong way here. It's just from my perspective and what I had read/been told during the run up to the i8 launch, that the car would be fairly limited. I knew it wouldn't be an appreciating asset, but I didn't think the market would drop so quickly. They hadn't indicated that they would be making as many cars as they were so it felt like being sold a false promise of a rare car they just turned around and made as many as possible once they had "suckered" us into buying new ones at MSRP (or way above that for some people). I'm getting the impression that was a feeling not many of us had, sorry for assuming.
This illustrates my feelings exactly.

I mean i had 2 i8's. one i bought at premium and sold at premium whilst my own one was being made.

The dealer misled me at the time with the build of my car. I was entitled to a discount.

They said they could not discount that car on the basis that it was the factory rule and a halo car.

After much deliberation, the dealership wired me back a few thousands after having paid full price so that bmw would not notice.

Now they are giving £15,000+ discounts.

Bmw fucked it up big time with customers like Carac and myself. Once again, i came from an Aston v12v, Porsche turbo s etc. I think we are not the only ones.
They created an impression of 'premium' segment and misled us. Love the car, dislike the behaviour of the brand.

Another illustration of the above is the pure impulse program joke. At least they are consistent in their failure.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 10:52 AM   #21
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

[QUOTE=Carac;20665076]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGT3 View Post

Point well taken and well heard with respect to the misleading experience you had with BMW and how it led to your decision to sell the i8.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 11:06 AM   #22
jcpca356
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8

At this rate of sales, it won't be profitable to keep making the car I think.....which will be good for the rest of us?