BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

04-05-2024, 09:41 PM   #1
superflysocal
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Better range after update?

I know some of you guys have had issues wit 11/2023.73 but I just wanted to throw out a possibility. I recently got the update for about a week now. Ever since the update, I noticed the efficiency has gotten better. I use to get about 2.7-3.0 miles per kwh but lately I have been getting 3.2-3.5 miles per kwh. I have been using efficiency mode but I also did that before the update. It could be a coincidence with warmer weather but we have had warmer weather in Houston for at least over a a month. I have had this car for almost a year and have never noticed going over 3.2 miles per kwh before (and rarely ever getting past 3.0) until now.

Has anyone else noticed improvement in efficiency recently?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 03:53 AM   #2
Louis_BE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX

Could be, but hard to tell, I just switched over to the summer tires and saw an increase in efficiency as well … but I cannot distinguish if it’s tires (which I think it is though I went from 21 inch winter to 22 inch summer) or the update …
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 09:35 AM   #3
deutsch100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i7 60, XM, M3 Comp, 911 GTS

Has your avg outside temps warmed up? Warmer weather yields better range for all EVs.
Appreciate 1
note46268.50
      04-06-2024, 09:35 AM   #4
Tigershark321
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW iX

Garage List
2024 BMW  [0.00]
Not sure where you live but the weather is changing and becoming moreso mild rather than cold. That could be playing an effect on the efficiency improving.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 09:44 AM   #5
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

BMW owners will notice an increasing range this time of year due to rising ambient air temps. BMW range estimator takes ambient temperatures into account. As the air warms, there is also less wind resistance because the atmosphere becomes less dense. The battery also needs less thermal handholding. I think if BMW increased the range via software update they would be shouting it from every rooftop, or at least mention such a great thing in the release notes.
Appreciate 4
grueber483.50
Young04700.50
deutsch1004106.50
note46268.50
      04-06-2024, 10:47 AM   #6
grueber
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post
BMW owners will notice an increasing range this time of year due to rising ambient air temps. BMW range estimator takes ambient temperatures into account. As the air warms, there is also less wind resistance because the atmosphere becomes less dense. The battery also needs less thermal handholding. I think if BMW increased the range via software update they would be shouting it from every rooftop, or at least mention such a great thing in the release notes.
Yep my efficiency has taken a jump up as average temps go from 40F to 60F. Very noticeable when I drive into work in the morning where the temps are chilly in the high 40F and it’s beautiful driving back in the mid 60s.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004106.50
      05-08-2024, 03:19 PM   #7
superflysocal
Private
Rep

Quote:
Well, except my car never had this sort of efficiency this time last year in May. Today I actually saw it hit 3.6mi/kwh!

Last edited by superflysocal; 05-08-2024 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 09:10 AM   #8
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by superflysocal View Post
Well, except my car never had this sort of efficiency this time last year in May. Today I actually saw it hit 3.6mi/kwh!
Have you changed tires or wheels? Has your driving style changed? Are you driving in the same modes as you did last year (Eco/Personal, B/D, etc.)? There are a lot of variables.

Sometimes I'll hit 3.8 Wh/mi, other times I will get only 2.5 Wh/mi on the same drive. I believe the difference to be the car thermally managing the battery. That is something that is always happening in the background and could explain some differences.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 11:01 AM   #9
superflysocal
Private
Rep

Quote:
Have you changed tires or wheels? Has your driving style changed? Are you driving in the same modes as you did last year (Eco/Personal, B/D, etc.)? There are a lot of variables.

Sometimes I'll hit 3.8 Wh/mi, other times I will get only 2.5 Wh/mi on the same drive. I believe the difference to be the car thermally managing the battery. That is something that is always happening in the background and could explain some differences.
Certainly all of those factors contribute to the efficiency of the vehicle. If it was one day or even week, it could be any of those factors. However, I am seeing this over multiple weeks, which is why I thought it was unusual, and why I am posting it here. If others are noticing it too, then it may have been a software change. However, if no one else is seeing this, then it is probably just one of those factors you mentioned.
Appreciate 2
ricerboi906.50
NomoTesla2378.00
      05-11-2024, 09:27 PM   #10
Windshieldfarmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX50

I was running errands today…suburban driving. 70 degrees, no hvac, moderate speeds…hit 4.0 mile per kWh for a 6 mile jaunt. I’ve never experienced that kind of efficiency with the IX, but I do think it’s a result of weather, moderate speeds, and no hvac. I did have the sound system cranked!

I also recently experienced 2.1 mile per kWh driving 80 mph against a 45 mph headwind in 50 degree weather.
Appreciate 0