BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW i Forums > BMW i3 / i4 Forums > BMW i3 and BMW i4 General Discussion

03-07-2011, 05:57 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator

Drives: E90 M3

BMW i3 Sales Target At Least 30,000 Annually. i8 Pricing Undecided.

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW i3 Sales Target At Least 30,000 Annually. i8 Pricing Undecided
COMMENTS

According to Ian Robertson of BMW, the company appears to be targetting annual i3 sales of at least 30,000 units by drawing a production target comparison to lower-volume Mini models (such as the Clubman, of which 30,000 were sold globally in 2010). Meanwhile, the i8's pricing remains to be determined, based on future legislation (and no doubt any tax breaks for green vehicles).

The BMW i3 launches in 2013 and the i8 shortly after, with both models to be built in BMW's Leipzig plant.

More info on i3, i8, and BMW's new i sub-brand can be found at http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491912

Source: Autonews
Quote:
BMW AG aims to sell at least 30,000 units of its i3 electric vehicle a year beginning in 2014.

"We are targeting volume production for the i3," said Ian Robertson, BMW’s global sales and marketing boss.

Robertson said sales volume for the i3 could be "comparable to one of the lower-volume Mini derivatives. However, we can easily increase our output if opportunities arise." Mini sold about 30,000 units of its Clubman model globally in 2010.

In late 2013, BMW will launch the i3 EV, previously known as the Megacity Vehicle, and the i8 plug-in hybrid under its i subbrand, which was born out of the automaker’s Project i group. The i8 two-door coupe is based on the 2009 BMW Vision EfficientDynamics concept study. BMW said the plug-in hybrid combines sports car-like performance with the fuel consumption and emissions of a small car.

The price of the i3 is not yet decided, but BMW sources said the i3 will be above 40,000 euros in Europe. "As with all BMW Group products, the BMW i3 will be a premium car," Robertson said.

Initial pricing for the i8 is unclear.

"Our sales will strongly depend on legislation. Not only by big markets like the U.S. or China, but by local city authorities and their terms of taxation," Robertson said. "If a city like Amsterdam or London decides that you get a tax reduction, then sales will boost."

Currently, European countries such as Ireland and France offer a one-time subsidy of 5,000 euros to EV buyers.

Said Robertson: "We are looking at multiple distribution channels – from conventional sales and leasing to different rental approaches, like car sharing. We will also build up communities for such rental approaches, this is why we bought a share of the smartphone app My City Way."

The i3 and i8 also will share parts for electric motors, lithium ion batteries and powertrain electronics. They will be built in BMW’s plant in Leipzig, Germany, alongside the 1 series and the X1.

After the launch of the i3 and i8, the automaker will expand its BMW i lineup to include more vehicles. "The world is changing — and we are driving this change. This is the 'next premium,' " Robertson said. "There is room for a whole family" of vehicles, he said.

With its i lineup, Robertson said that BMW is reaching "a total new group of customers such as city dwellers who are more interested in electronic devices such as an iPhone than owning a car."

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel

Jason is offline   United_States
      03-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
Diver
Colonel

Drives: Black '12 135i DCT PPK Msport

One thing is clear about the i8. It will cost a whole bunch of money. More than I would care to put in a car.
      03-07-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
bobbyd1961
Banned

Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
One thing is clear about the i8. It will cost a whole bunch of money. More than I would care to put in a car.
WHAT DOES AN I8 LOOK LIKE
      03-07-2011, 07:07 PM   #4
Jason
Administrator

Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd1961 View Post
WHAT DOES AN I8 LOOK LIKE

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel

Jason is offline   United_States
      03-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
Robert
Major General

Drives: 135i, current is350

I am interested in the i3 if mpg is prius level and price is right plus in an attractive form. With my commute and price level the car may start to make sense.
      03-07-2011, 08:38 PM   #6
antzcrashing
... can I get a 1M

Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [5.00]
with its i lineup, Robertson said that BMW is reaching "a total new group of customers such as city dwellers who are more interested in electronic devices such as an iPhone than owning a car."

genius, except if the vehicle is very expensive and takes away from the number of iPhones or other gadgets the person enjoys...
      03-07-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
IancoleTX
Dillo boxers

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Spokesdouche
Robertson said that BMW is reaching "a total new group of customers such as city dwellers who are more interested in electronic devices such as an iPhone than owning a car."
Translation: "We want to sell appliances to people with short attention spans that don't give a fuck about cars or driving."
      03-07-2011, 10:05 PM   #8
Schm
Colonel

Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IancoleTX View Post
Translation: "We want to sell appliances to people with short attention spans that don't give a fuck about cars or driving."
"We want to sell appliances to rich people with short attention spans that don't give a fuck about cars or driving."

ftfy.
      03-07-2011, 10:31 PM   #9
antzcrashing
... can I get a 1M

Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schm View Post
"We want to sell appliances to rich people with short attention spans that don't give a fuck about cars or driving."

ftfy.
haha I like how we all jumped on this comment. Reading between the lines FTW
      03-07-2011, 11:36 PM   #10
RX7guy
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 07 e92 335i, 93 rx7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schm View Post

ftfy.
QFT
RX7guy is offline   United_States
      03-08-2011, 02:15 AM   #11
esquire
Colonel

Drives: 2011.5 Dakar Yellow M3 Coupe

The more I see the i8, the more I think it's too odd-looking a car to be accepted by its consumer segment. I hope BMW makes a few subtle but serious design modifications. High among the items on that list - 1) change the color of that blue thing, 2) give the rear some substance - that weird "working in negative space" design is too avant-garde.

If they can get those few things fixed, I think this car could look absolutely amazing.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
esquire is offline   United_States
      03-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #12
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...

Drives: 08 MR E92 M3

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
WOW im loving the I8...