BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW i Forums > BMW i8 Forums > BMW i8 General Discussion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #45
Rich@GTBPerformance
Bimmerpost Sponsor and BMW Performance Guru
 
Rich@GTBPerformance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 JZB M3, 2000 750iL
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NJ, Right outside of NYC

Posts: 4,248
iTrader: (19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaneristiDriver View Post
It will attract the same niche buyer for the most part. People who want a sporty hybrid that looks better than the other junk out there.
The Tesla got crushed in a comparo with a Boxster S. The Boxster not only walked it after 60 mph but embarassed it in handling and track times. So yea, youre going to pay 150K for a car with that looks the part but cant back it up with actual performance.
I'm not defending the quality of the Tesla Roadster and I agree with the points you make but as I mentioned, once the BIG names get into this market it will not be a "Niche" market for long.

I worked for a time management/payroll company and Tesla was one of our clients and I can tell you, that company has a boatload of issues starting with some rather inept management, supply chain issues and overindulgent executives. The i8 will blow the Tesla roadster out of the water.
__________________

Your Home For Premium BMW Aftermarket Parts
www.gtbperformance.com | sales@gtbperformance.com | Facebook | 973 429 2839
Rich@GTBPerformance is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #46
PaneristiDriver
Banned
 
Drives: M3 Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Here and there

Posts: 130
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich@GTBPerformance
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaneristiDriver View Post
It will attract the same niche buyer for the most part. People who want a sporty hybrid that looks better than the other junk out there.
The Tesla got crushed in a comparo with a Boxster S. The Boxster not only walked it after 60 mph but embarassed it in handling and track times. So yea, youre going to pay 150K for a car with that looks the part but cant back it up with actual performance.
I'm not defending the quality of the Tesla Roadster and I agree with the points you make but as I mentioned, once the BIG names get into this market it will not be a "Niche" market for long.

I worked for a time management/payroll company and Tesla was one of our clients and I can tell you, that company has a boatload of issues starting with some rather inept management, supply chain issues and overindulgent executives. The i8 will blow the Tesla roadster out of the water.
Fair enough, however the same boxster s that beat the tesla will do the same thing to this upcoming i8. It will embarrass it when it comes to performance and handling and does it while costing half and still getting 30 plus mpg.
The i8 only has a range of 20 miles, which is a joke and doubt the performance will be anything to write home about.
IMO its going to be a poser hybrid. Again, looks pretty good (it's no porsche 918 though) but doesn't have performance to back it up.
PaneristiDriver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #47
US///M3
Major
 
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shanghai, People's Republic of China

Posts: 1,266
iTrader: (0)

I m not really familiar with those cars i8,tedla etc. What do they sounds like?
__________________
BMW R1200RT
All purpose, No pretense.

I'm back.
US///M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #48
vladberca
Brigadier General
 
vladberca's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 jetta tsi 6mt
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Craiova

Posts: 3,566
iTrader: (0)

Haha, to early to say that i8 will not have good performances
vladberca is offline   Romania
0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2012, 05:00 AM   #49
Nang Vann
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Nang Vann's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3, R35 GT-R
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Australia

Posts: 1,519
iTrader: (0)

love the look of these cars!
__________________
Moving on up!
Nang Vann is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #50
SCOTT26
Brigadier General
 
SCOTT26's Avatar
 
Drives: Frozen Dark Silver 30 Jahre
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WORLDWIDE

Posts: 3,077
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
The i8 only has a range of 20 miles, which is a joke and doubt the performance will be anything to write home about.
The i8's performance so far is on a par with the current M3 (E92).
It can probably go faster if needed.
The Active Aerodynamics also play a huge part.
__________________
XS
SCOTT26 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #51
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
 
southlight's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

Posts: 6,748
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The i8's performance so far is on a par with the current M3 (E92).
It can probably go faster if needed.
The Active Aerodynamics also play a huge part.
Shouldn't it at least be on par with next M3 (F80)?


Best regards,
south
__________________
Those forums...WHY NOT?


JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
southlight is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #52
SCOTT26
Brigadier General
 
SCOTT26's Avatar
 
Drives: Frozen Dark Silver 30 Jahre
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WORLDWIDE

Posts: 3,077
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Shouldn't it at least be on par with next M3 (F80)?
Currently.
We still have over a year to develop how far we can go. Performance wise.
For a car such as the i8 it will significant.
__________________
XS
SCOTT26 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #53
PaneristiDriver
Banned
 
Drives: M3 Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Here and there

Posts: 130
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca View Post
Haha, to early to say that i8 will not have good performances
Its been said many times it will be about as peformance oriented as the e9X m3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The i8's performance so far is on a par with the current M3 (E92).
It can probably go faster if needed.
The Active Aerodynamics also play a huge part.
Yes, Im aware of that. We will see though. Again, the Tesla got man handled by a little ole boxtser S and I dont see the i8 doing much better. Plus by that time, the 911 Hybrid should be out, which will undoubtedly be the benchmark for hybrid performance seeing as Porsche's hybrid tech is clearly well ahead of every other car maker in the world.
PaneristiDriver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bmw i3 forum, bmw i3 forums, bmw i3 price, bmw i3 prices, bmw i3 pricing, bmw i8 forum, bmw i8 forums, bmw i8 price, bmw i8 prices, bmw i8 pricing, i3 forum, i3 forums, i8 forum, i8 forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 PM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST