Drives: F80 M3

Post BMW DTM Drivers Visit Leipzig Plant – Maiden Outing in BMW i8 Sports Car

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW DTM drivers visit Leipzig Plant – Maiden outing in BMW i8 sports car
COMMENTS
Name:  P90133263-highRes.jpg
Views: 6141
Size:  227.8 KB

BMW DTM drivers visit BMW Plant Leipzig – Maiden outing in BMW i8 plug-in hybrid sports car.

September 13, 2013

Oschersleben (DE), 13th September 2013. The BMW DTM drivers stopped in at BMW Plant Leipzig (DE) on their way to the eighth race of the DTM season in Oschersleben (DE). Bruno Spengler (CA), Dirk Werner (DE), Augusto Farfus (BR), Joey Hand (US), Martin Tomczyk (DE), Andy Priaulx (GB), Marco Wittmann (DE) and Timo Glock (DE) started their visit with an autograph session. Hundreds of BMW employees took the opportunity to meet and have their photo taken with the drivers.

The next highlight was a guided tour of the production facility for the BMW cars of tomorrow, the BMW i3 and the BMW i8. BMW i is all about visionary mobility concepts and a new interpretation of premium characteristics, with a strong focus on sustainability. The all-electric driven BMW i3 and plug-in hybrid sports car BMW i8 are built on the new assembly line in Leipzig. “It was really fascinating to get an insight into the technology of the future,” said Farfus. “BMW is setting new benchmarks with these visionary cars. Sooner or later, this technology will undoubtedly make its way into motorsport.”

A very special surprise awaited Farfus and his fellow DTM drivers at the end of what was a hugely successful day. They were taken to the plant’s own test site, where they were allowed to climb behind the wheel of a BMW i8 and take it for a spin. Thanks to the perfect synchronisation of electric and combustion engines, this is the first thoroughbred sports car with the same consumption and emission values as a compact car.

The DTM stars were fascinated by the car’s unique driving qualities. “It was exciting and interesting to drive this car. I was very impressed by the performance and acceleration,” said Glock after his test drive. “The electric and combustion engines work together perfectly. The technology used in the BMW i models is certainly ahead of its time. BMW has once again emphatically demonstrated its innovative prowess.”

This weekend, the eight BMW DTM drivers will be back on the racetrack in their BMW M3 DTMs at the “Motorsport Arena” in Oschersleben, about 150 kilometres from Leipzig. As the race for the titles in the Drivers’, Team and Manufacturers’ Championships reaches its climax, BMW Motorsport is looking for a repeat of last year’s success, when Spengler won the race in the Magdeburger Börde region of Germany.

Name:  P90133263-highRes.jpg
Views: 6141
Size:  227.8 KB

Name:  P90133267-highRes.jpg
Views: 4872
Size:  215.9 KB

Name:  P90133266-highRes.jpg
Views: 4755
Size:  163.9 KB

Name:  P90133268-highRes.jpg
Views: 4738
Size:  163.4 KB

Name:  P90133262-highRes.jpg
Views: 4760
Size:  285.3 KB

Name:  P90133261-highRes.jpg
Views: 4644
Size:  264.1 KB

Name:  P90133260-highRes.jpg
Views: 4713
Size:  270.3 KB

Name:  P90133253-highRes.jpg
Views: 4621
Size:  197.3 KB

Name:  P90133250-highRes.jpg
Views: 4640
Size:  211.8 KB

Name:  P90133249-highRes.jpg
Views: 4593
Size:  159.3 KB

Name:  P90133248-highRes.jpg
Views: 4595
Size:  157.8 KB

Name:  P90133237-highRes.jpg
Views: 4502
Size:  204.3 KB

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
lasovan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 320

a big family named BMW. nice!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Very cool!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, PM ME FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Jimmy Miller:Jimmym@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-509-2048
If you have any issues getting a hold of Jimmy M PLEASE PM me, I'm available everyday till 545pm!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
3M TAPE
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

Joey Hand!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Very cool! Yes a big BMW fam.

Note to self... need to go visit Leipzig soon!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
Pure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i EB , RR Ghost Black D

As a good team, so it should be.
Sheer driving pleasure.
Freude am Fahren.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 12:23 AM   #7
Gastoys
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BWM 335i M Sport sapphire

Why is BMW making an electric car to compete with the Nissan Leaf when the Tesla is hurting their 7 series line? BMW is about Ulimate Drivng Experience and a Leaf killer is not the answer. BMW needs an electric 7 series to put tesla in their place and if you can afford a tesla you can afford an electric 7

I3 is dead
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 02:42 AM   #8
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gastoys View Post
Why is BMW making an electric car to compete with the Nissan Leaf when the Tesla is hurting their 7 series line? BMW is about Ulimate Drivng Experience and a Leaf killer is not the answer. BMW needs an electric 7 series to put tesla in their place and if you can afford a tesla you can afford an electric 7

I3 is dead
The i3 is certainly not dead as for the Tesla comparisons we do not have a product that competes directly with the Model S. I wish people would stop comparing the i3 to the Model S because it is not a direct competitor .
I had to correct many journalists in regards to that fact. The i3 is a purely urban concept , but i3 is purely going to be the game changer for conventional manufacturers.

The highlight of IAA press day ? Watching the faces of the senior executives of our direct competitors investigating the i3 and i8.
In regards to the 7er? We sell the 7er globally , Tesla sells against the 7er only in the USA.

When the BMW i5 comes on stream then we can see how BMWi will compete directly with Tesla . That is when it gets interesting...

Last edited by SCOTT26; 09-14-2013 at 02:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The i3 is certainly not dead as for the Tesla comparisons we do not have a product that competes directly with the Model S. I wish people would stop comparing the i3 to the Model S because it is not a direct competitor .
I had to correct many journalists in regards to that fact. The i3 is a purely urban concept , but i3 is purely going to be the game changer for conventional manufacturers.

The highlight of IAA press day ? Watching the faces of the senior executives of our direct competitors investigating the i3 and i8.
In regards to the 7er? We sell the 7er globally , Tesla sells against the 7er only in the USA.

When the BMW i5 comes on stream then we can see how BMWi will compete directly with Tesla . That is when it gets interesting...
+1

Interesting that not only people here on the forum but journalists also make this bizarre comparison.

Makes no sense to me.

Considering what BMW i is doing, I am certain the i5 will look and perform as it needs to in order to put Tesla Model S in its place. And there is no design comparison of BMW i design language to that of Tesla (which I often mistake for Hyundai or Kia, and there are a ton of these Model S everywhere in my area already).
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #10
Gastoys
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BWM 335i M Sport sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post

I think you miss read my post, never compared i3 to Telsa, just made a point that the Tesla is hurting 7 series sale in my U.S. market. IMO, BMW should take the Tesla route, start big hitting the successful marketing target of the Tesla demographics.

The i3 will be competing with cars like the Nissan Leaf and not sure how it fits in being the "Ultimate Driving Experience".

The i3 with poor range, lack luster performance, smart car like appearance with an expensive price and higher maintenance costs might sell fairly well in the beginning with all the citizen tax payer incentives to a demographic group such as the feel good city slickers high on Apple products, but I suspect it will lose its appeal and sales will fall flat like the Nissan Leaf and the Chevy Volt. There are $12k in incentives for Nissan Leafs here in the U.S. and they are still having dificulties selling them.

BMW should focus on a 400hp 325mile range electric 7 series and work down to the 1 series if they were truly serious about penetrating the electric market and living their values - "Ultimate Driving Experience".

The i3 would do much better in their Mini Cooper division.

P.s. Tesla is branching out to Europe so ...

Last edited by Gastoys; 09-14-2013 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 07:22 AM   #11
tommolog
Tom Moloughney
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3s BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
+1

Interesting that not only people here on the forum but journalists also make this bizarre comparison.

Makes no sense to me.

Considering what BMW i is doing, I am certain the i5 will look and perform as it needs to in order to put Tesla Model S in its place. And there is no design comparison of BMW i design language to that of Tesla (which I often mistake for Hyundai or Kia, and there are a ton of these Model S everywhere in my area already).
They make that comparison for two reasons. First there are so few electric cars just about every one competes with the others because buyers have very limited options. Secondly, the i3 is the first EV coming from a premium brand other than Tesla so the natural instinct from the journo's is to assume BMW is making it to compete with Tesla, which of course is not the case.

I did a blog post on this topic last week and it was picked up and re-posted by the EV site InsideEVs.com. I asked what should the i3 really be compared to. Here's the link if anyone is interested: i3 comparison story