BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW i Forums > BMW i8 Forums > BMW i8 General Discussion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-12-2014, 10:33 AM   #1
Carac
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS S/C
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: USA

Posts: 408
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
'03 BMW M5  [0.00]
'88 BMW M3  [0.00]
'84 Toyota Corolla ...  [0.00]
'14 Ford Fiesta ST  [0.00]
'14 BMW i8  [0.00]
'12 Mercedes SLS AMG  [5.00]
BMW USA site now lists July availability for i8

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
A little later than they originally announced but at least still when there's enough good weather left in the year to fully enjoy.

Carac is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #2
ddk632
Professional Orangeer
 
Drives: Bacon
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South Florida

Posts: 1,921
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Ha! I saw that yesterday, it must have been just recently added. Still no other info. Getting close!
__________________
ddk632 | David Khaykin | (The K* is Silent!)
flickr photos [ Best Of | BMW | Motorcycles & DSLR's ]
* First K only, credit to Billup
ddk632 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2014, 08:07 AM   #3
barcius13
Banned
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South

Posts: 48
iTrader: (0)

$135k Ok got it. Pay almost twice as much compared to a Tesla P85 and have less horsepower and less room. Thanks, but no thanks BMW
barcius13 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2014, 08:28 AM   #4
jc1654M4
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2015 Black M4
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: miami,fl

Posts: 172
iTrader: (0)

Honestly, I thought it was going to be more. 135 is Audi r8 money and in my opinion, "looks" wise, the i8 is right there with it and the power isn't too shabby. Can't wait to see one of these out in the streets...... And smoke it in my new M4.....
jc1654M4 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2014, 08:28 AM   #5
Needsdecaf
Everything's Bigger in Texas!
 
Drives: Porsche Tractor
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX

Posts: 1,866
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcius13 View Post
$135k Ok got it. Pay almost twice as much compared to a Tesla P85 and have less horsepower and less room. Thanks, but no thanks BMW

Almost twice as much? Ever build a P85 S+? Well over $100k. Most I have seen are about $110k.

Twice as much. Not quite.

Your comparison is also quite flawed. By your margin, a Porsche 911 should be terrible deal compared to a 300 SRT8. After all, less HP and less room for more $$, right

That's not even apples and oranges, it's kiwis and papayas.
Needsdecaf is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2014, 08:45 AM   #6
motortrend
Goldmember
 
Drives: EM Siree
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Puerto Rico

Posts: 300
iTrader: (2)

I like this car but for 130k… GT3 please.
motortrend is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2014, 08:48 AM   #7
TheBingoBalls
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: E90 325i, R56 MINI Cooper
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 1,751
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf


Almost twice as much? Ever build a P85 S+? Well over $100k. Most I have seen are about $110k.

Twice as much. Not quite.

Your comparison is also quite flawed. By your margin, a Porsche 911 should be terrible deal compared to a 300 SRT8. After all, less HP and less room for more $$, right

That's not even apples and oranges, it's kiwis and papayas.
LMAO @ Kiwis and papayas.

Actually, using his comparison, all German cars are a terrible deals.
TheBingoBalls is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2014, 08:58 AM   #8
335dM
Major
 
Drives: 335d m package
Join Date: May 2011
Location: montreal

Posts: 1,033
iTrader: (0)

Tesla = no petrol engine lol
335dM is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2014, 09:44 AM   #9
barcius13
Banned
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South

Posts: 48
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Almost twice as much? Ever build a P85 S+? Well over $100k. Most I have seen are about $110k.

Twice as much. Not quite.

Your comparison is also quite flawed. By your margin, a Porsche 911 should be terrible deal compared to a 300 SRT8. After all, less HP and less room for more $$, right

That's not even apples and oranges, it's kiwis and papayas.
Well wait until you add options to the i8. My price comparison is sticker vs. sticker ($85k vs. $135k). Let's wait until the options of the i8 become available before you throw any stones at me.

What I meant about room is practicality. Tesla P85 looks great and drives like a sport sedan and IMO is a much better purchase than the i8. That is the reason for example I bought a M3 E90 and not a 911. I believe Tesla and BMW are in the same league as oppose to SRT8 and 911. Talking about kiwis and papayas

Last edited by barcius13; 02-24-2014 at 09:59 AM.
barcius13 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2014, 09:54 AM   #10
Crisp
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Crisp's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 M5 6 Speed
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,555
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1654M4 View Post
Honestly, I thought it was going to be more. 135 is Audi r8 money and in my opinion, "looks" wise, the i8 is right there with it and the power isn't too shabby. Can't wait to see one of these out in the streets...... And smoke it in my new M4.....
Smoking plug-in hybrids in a super sport coupe really does it for ya huh?

You remind me of myself when I downshift next to every Prius I see.
__________________
Past BMWs: 2009 E93 335i -2010 E60 535i -2008 E60 M5 - 2013 M3
Current BMWs:2008 E64 M6 - 2014 F30 320i
Crisp is offline   Albania
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2014, 10:11 AM   #11
GOLFFRR
 
GOLFFRR's Avatar
 
Drives: Golf Cart
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Solvang, CA/Camarillo, CA

Posts: 16,404
iTrader: (4)

exciting!
__________________

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL US FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Need a quote or assistance from David? GO HERE-->http://www.bimmerdavid.com/#!blank/c1r1e
Davids current ED Special ALL M CARS--> http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1042739
GOLFFRR is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2014, 10:14 AM   #12
Envyscorpio
Private First Class
 
Envyscorpio's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Taiwan

Posts: 157
iTrader: (0)

Hum... Other than the fancy doors I don't find it logical to purchase new for that price.

Mclaren 12C is depreciating well into the 170k range. I won't be surprise to see some in the 150k range soon with less than 15k miles. Same carbon tub, but gobs more power and no batteries to go bad.
__________________
[E34 520i | E39 528i | E46 M3 | E90 M3 | F25 X3 | NSX ]
Envyscorpio is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2014, 11:15 AM   #13
ddk632
Professional Orangeer
 
Drives: Bacon
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South Florida

Posts: 1,921
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcius13 View Post
Well wait until you add options to the i8. My price comparison is sticker vs. sticker ($85k vs. $135k). Let's wait until the options of the i8 become available before you throw any stones at me.

What I meant about room is practicality. Tesla P85 looks great and drives like a sport sedan and IMO is a much better purchase than the i8. That is the reason for example I bought a M3 E90 and not a 911. I believe Tesla and BMW are in the same league as oppose to SRT8 and 911. Talking about kiwis and papayas
The i8 comes fully loaded at that price, there are NO options.

Comparing a 4 door electric family sedan to a hybrid 2 door sports car makes zero sense.

In the looks department, there is no comparison. Only one of those cars looks like the bastard love child of a Kia and a Hyundai that got electrocuted, and as a hint, it's not the i8.

It's like saying a CTS-V sedan is better than an R8 because it's cheaper, has more power, and more room. R8 owners will laugh at the prospect.

+1 @ kiwis and papayas!
__________________
ddk632 | David Khaykin | (The K* is Silent!)
flickr photos [ Best Of | BMW | Motorcycles & DSLR's ]
* First K only, credit to Billup
ddk632 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2014, 11:27 AM   #14
W///
Major General
 
W///'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

Posts: 5,014
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Almost twice as much? Ever build a P85 S+? Well over $100k. Most I have seen are about $110k.

Twice as much. Not quite.

Your comparison is also quite flawed. By your margin, a Porsche 911 should be terrible deal compared to a 300 SRT8. After all, less HP and less room for more $$, right

That's not even apples and oranges, it's kiwis and papayas.
That's classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envyscorpio View Post
Hum... Other than the fancy doors I don't find it logical to purchase new for that price.

Mclaren 12C is depreciating well into the 170k range. I won't be surprise to see some in the 150k range soon with less than 15k miles. Same carbon tub, but gobs more power and no batteries to go bad.
But those 2 cars don't even close to competing unless you are maybe talking about price. IMHO, regardless of what BMW says, the i8 is more of a sporty car with new technology, rather than all about performance car like Mcl. Look at the tires it wears, who's going to track that?

I really do think the i8 is carving its own little niche.
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Catless Eisenmann Race | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
W/// is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2014, 12:01 PM   #15
owerr
Private
 
Drives: 335i, audi a4
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I really do think the i8 is carving its own little niche.
A niche for what?... An overpriced but underpowered half electric car that can only seat two people? You guys do know the tesla is faster than this thing right?...

Im a huge fan of BMWs, but this car doesn't make any sense to me
owerr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2014, 12:02 PM   #16
ddk632
Professional Orangeer
 
Drives: Bacon
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South Florida

Posts: 1,921
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
The i8 is not a track car, it was not intended for that. It will not do a track day - the battery will generate too much heat and shut down. Think limp mode.

I specifically asked this question of Jacob Harb, BMW i Brand Manager, when I met him in December at a private BMW i8 event at the SLS hotel in Miami.

He said "it'll do laps, but not sessions/days"

It is just not intended as a hardcore supercar.

Surely it will drive the canyons all day though - you're not going all out 10/10ths in the canyons. I will test this theory and report back when I get my i8.

__________________
ddk632 | David Khaykin | (The K* is Silent!)
flickr photos [ Best Of | BMW | Motorcycles & DSLR's ]
* First K only, credit to Billup
ddk632 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2014, 12:09 PM   #17
ddk632
Professional Orangeer
 
Drives: Bacon
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South Florida

Posts: 1,921
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by owerr View Post
A niche for what?... An overpriced but underpowered half electric car that can only seat two people? You guys do know the tesla is faster than this thing right?...

Im a huge fan of BMWs, but this car doesn't make any sense to me
The Tesla P85 has been said to be (infinitesimally) faster 0-60 than an M5. At higher speeds the M5 destroys it. Also I haven't seen anyone touting how the Tesla handles so great and is a hard-core track car. Maybe I missed those articles...

The i8 performance has been stated by BMW to be faster/better than the E92 M3. Looking at full picture of the numbers, i.e., power-to-weight, 0-60, etc., it is very similar and close to the R8 V8, as well. This car is hardly under-powered.

Also my other pet peeve with the arguments against the i8:

Why is everyone hung up on how many people can fit in a sports car? If you need that much space, buy a Sprinter van or a GL550.

I've never heard anyone say, "That 911 / GT-R / M6 / TTRS / etc. can't fit 5 people, what a piece of crap" - but there are so many comments about the i8's lack of being able to carry lots of passengers it's absurd. Maybe these people are secretly waiting for the i8 Gran Coupe to come out?




Please consider, people who want a 2 door sports car ... don't give 2 shits about carrying 5 people anywhere. And if they do, they have other cars that can handle that task better than a Tesla or an i8!
__________________
ddk632 | David Khaykin | (The K* is Silent!)
flickr photos [ Best Of | BMW | Motorcycles & DSLR's ]
* First K only, credit to Billup
ddk632 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2014, 12:15 PM   #18
smashhell
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 535i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 485
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by owerr
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I really do think the i8 is carving its own little niche.
A niche for what?... An overpriced but underpowered half electric car that can only seat two people? You guys do know the tesla is faster than this thing right?...

Im a huge fan of BMWs, but this car doesn't make any sense to me
Rather than R8. Think of the i8 as a more Eco friendly Mercedes SL550. They are similar in price, practicality, and performance.
__________________
2011 535i Alpine White, Oyster on black interior, Premium 1 & 2 Package, Magnaflow Full Cat-Back Exhaust, JB4 Stage 2
smashhell is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2014, 12:19 PM   #19
ddk632
Professional Orangeer
 
Drives: Bacon
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South Florida

Posts: 1,921
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
^^

Actually I quite like that comparison, well stated.

But ... the SL550 doesn't carry 5 people, what a piece of crap!!! /sarcasm

__________________
ddk632 | David Khaykin | (The K* is Silent!)
flickr photos [ Best Of | BMW | Motorcycles & DSLR's ]
* First K only, credit to Billup
ddk632 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2014, 12:19 PM   #20
bosz
Captain
 
bosz's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i Ordered
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: toronto

Posts: 702
iTrader: (0)

The majority of ppl who purchase an i8 will be the ones who've been buying new from BMW for a long long time. They are the ones who dont switch brands ever (or too often). They choose from the options BMW gives them, and when the get to that point in their lives where they want a more exclusive 2 seater, they would consider an i8. The sales rep will do the usual: build them a deal where their current car is traded in for an i8 for a great payment plan blablabla. The sales rep will take this indivudial for a test drive in an i8 which I'm sure will feel fast compared to the 5 series or 7 series he or she is trading in and will win over their heart and sign a deal right there! This type of individual is not very well researched in making car buying decisions, but will just almost blindly buy any car BMW makes bc of BMW's brand name.

For many other enthusiasts, i8 just doesn't make sense for the obvious reasons we've all spoken about here many times. I bet the i8 will be a heavily depreciating car (as are many other BMW's such as M5, M6, 7 series etc) compared to say an R8 or a Gallardo or 911 Turbo etc.
__________________
**JB Stage 1** 2012 F30 335i/BSM/Coral Red Interior/Diamond Black Trim/Premium Pack/BMW Apps/Ext Blue Tooth/Sirius XM/Sport Auto W/Paddle Shifters/Sport Suspension/Meisterschaft Super GT Exhaust
bosz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #21
W///
Major General
 
W///'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

Posts: 5,014
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by owerr View Post
A niche for what?... An overpriced but underpowered half electric car that can only seat two people? You guys do know the tesla is faster than this thing right?...

Im a huge fan of BMWs, but this car doesn't make any sense to me
Obviously not a niche for you then! Jesus, if a car company makes a vehicle that doesn't suit your lifestyle, then it's automatically worthless. It's like comparing an 3er to a Z4, and saying well people should buy the 3er because it has a proper trunk and seats 5 people.

If it was such a worthless car, how come they've already filled the order for the first year? I'm not saying if I had $135k burning in my pocket this is the car I'd go for, but I certainly understand why it's there.

Apart from a Tesla (which is a heavy sedan, so kiwis to papayas again), what electric sports car can you get for $135k?
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Catless Eisenmann Race | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
W/// is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2014, 12:49 PM   #22
owerr
Private
 
Drives: 335i, audi a4
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
The Tesla P85 has been said to be (infinitesimally) faster 0-60 than an M5. At higher speeds the M5 destroys it. Also I haven't seen anyone touting how the Tesla handles so great and is a hard-core track car. Maybe I missed those articles...

The i8 performance has been stated by BMW to be faster/better than the E92 M3. Looking at full picture of the numbers, i.e., power-to-weight, 0-60, etc., it is very similar and close to the R8 V8, as well. This car is hardly under-powered.

Also my other pet peeve with the arguments against the i8:

Why is everyone hung up on how many people can fit in a sports car? If you need that much space, buy a Sprinter van or a GL550.

I've never heard anyone say, "That 911 / GT-R / M6 / TTRS / etc. can't fit 5 people, what a piece of crap" - but there are so many comments about the i8's lack of being able to carry lots of passengers it's absurd. Maybe these people are secretly waiting for the i8 Gran Coupe to come out?




Please consider, people who want a 2 door sports car ... don't give 2 shits about carrying 5 people anywhere. And if they do, they have other cars that can handle that task better than a Tesla or an i8!
You don't get the point. No ones comparing the number of the seats. The point was that there's actually a full electric sedan that's faster than this thing, at a much lower price. And im pretty sure this is not considered to be a track car by any means...

I think the SL550 is more of a fair comparison, even though its a hard top convertible, and fully equipped it will still be cheaper than this

Heck the new S class coupe will probably be cheaper, a lot more luxurious and faster than this. If anything this car feels more like a tesla roadster, but only half electric. It's a nice concept, but priced so high for so little. There are just so many other choices for a better car at that price range, and its not even all green.

Maybe BMW will get their electric cars right in a few years down the road.
owerr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 AM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST