BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW i Forums > BMW i3 / i4 Forums > BMW i3 and BMW i4 General Discussion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-21-2014, 06:25 PM   #1
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
 
s4play's Avatar
 
Drives: too many rides....
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Norcal

Posts: 963
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to s4play Send a message via MSN to s4play Send a message via Yahoo to s4play
Just came back from driving the new i3 ~ mighty impressive car!

A little background, we have a hybrid in the stable (CT200h) and I've driven the Tesla at length on various drives (40+ miles into the city and back) and I have to say BMW's first crack at a electric vehicle is pretty good.

Recently there was an open house event so I got a chance to see/drive the new i3. The color was a really unique 2-tone black upper and lower burnt orange color. I think this car would look really cool with the white/black scheme. First thing I noticed were the wheels were extremely large almost blade like, I think they were 19's. We are not actually looking for another EV car but just wanted to check out this new ride from BMW.

Interior room looks tight because of the way the rear doors look but once you get past the lines, it's actually quite roomy opened up. They open like my Tacoma extend cab. The rear door swings back so suicide door so makes getting in and out really easy.

Once we hopped in, I knew my wife will immediately notice the african wood trim and the dual sunroof openings ~ she does not like sun and I do so the shades can be closed individually. There are dual LCD's, an odd START button that is hidden behind the right side of the steering wheel and an even more odd shifter for P, D, R. The middle LCD is for NAV and the BMW traditional iDrive is where it normally is except this one functions way more intuitive than the one in my M3. Plus the display is 10x better that what the e90 has!

When we took off, it's absolutely silent as most electrics cars are supposed to be but I noticed the car has heavy braking the minute the gas is left off, no coasting here! It accelerates pretty hard and turns good. It's definitely not a sports car, I can only imagine how good the i8 will be when it comes out.

Acceleration is quite strong and the car feels nimble, although center of gravity feels a bit high (like a small RAV4 type SUV). The car makes you think you are driving a SMART car but it's actually much larger, I an easily see a family of 4 going out in this thing. The dash cluster is really simple, two LCD's supply all of the information. One thing I like is there is a central button that activates some sort of vehicle collision avoidance system. I don't know what it does exactly or what it's called but it seems to be a 360 radar type system with alerts anytime someone is nearby, pretty cool

We did not get to go on the highway but at speeds up to 50mph around town, this thing really scoots. I love the open air concept and the car has virtually no blindspots. It's so quiet I told the sales guy it's almost like riding in a hot air balloon.

He said MSRP starts at $42k and they only have about 70 allocated this year. It's a very cool car and I suspect it will be quite popular. Sure beats driving a Nissan Leaf or Prius around. I'm going to take my wife back for a second test drive. I love high HP cars but these new electrics are really making a name for themselves!


cheers!

__________________
04 GPW/Onyx NSX
05 AW B5 s4
09 GPW s2000
10 Suzuka Grey R8 v10
*Gone, but not forgotten: (gt3/m3) http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=203205

Last edited by s4play; 02-21-2014 at 07:11 PM.
s4play is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2014, 07:14 PM   #2
NormE91
Captain
 
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Touring
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Massachusetts

Posts: 628
iTrader: (0)

Thanks for this! I'm going to a dealer event tomorrow to test drive one and I'm pretty excited.

We have a Honda CRZ 6mt in the stable which has made me really interested in efficiency. I must say, I was pretty close to buying a Volt, but the interior controls were a little busy and tacky for my taste. Great car though.

My only hesitation with electric cars is that I really like driving a manual transmission...
NormE91 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2014, 02:45 PM   #3
mrbelk
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 335i/6MT
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Alpharetta, GA

Posts: 207
iTrader: (0)

It's funny you mention the "high" CoG. It's actually only 5mm higher than an E92 M3's CoG.

-MrB
__________________
(ED 5/11/13) '13 328i M-Sport Estoril Blue II/Black, Trip Journal
(ED 5/25/10) '11 335i M-Sport Le Mans Blue/Oyster, Trip Journal
(ED 5/7/07) '07 335i/6sp TiAg/Lemon, Trip Journal
(ED 4/28/04) '04 545i Silver Gray/Beige
mrbelk is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2014, 03:04 PM   #4
GOLFFRR
 
GOLFFRR's Avatar
 
Drives: Golf Cart
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Solvang, CA/Camarillo, CA

Posts: 15,392
iTrader: (4)

very cool, thanks for posting your thoughts.
__________________

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL US FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Need a quote or assistance from David? GO HERE-->http://www.bimmerdavid.com/#!blank/c1r1e
Davids current ED Special M235/228--> http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1013211
GOLFFRR is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #5
tommolog
Tom Moloughney
 
tommolog's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW ActiveE
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 195
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelk View Post
It's funny you mention the "high" CoG. It's actually only 5mm higher than an E92 M3's CoG.

-MrB
Interesting you say that because I was told the i3 has a lower center of gravity than a 3-Series. I guess the M# is even lower than a regular 3-Series though. Where did you get the exact figures for the CoG to compare them if you don't mind?

I think many people expect it will not have a low CoG because it's a relatively tall, boxy car. But they don't realize the heaviest part of the car, the battery pack it at and even a little below the axle line. The top of the car is all CFRP and plastic.
__________________
Tom Moloughney
My BMW i3 Blog

Last edited by tommolog; 02-25-2014 at 10:38 PM.
tommolog is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2014, 06:47 PM   #6
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
 
s4play's Avatar
 
Drives: too many rides....
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Norcal

Posts: 963
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to s4play Send a message via MSN to s4play Send a message via Yahoo to s4play
The CoG comment was strictly from a seat of the pants thing. I was too busy looking at all the fancy digital displays. Overall I would have to say the car lives up to the BMW name, heck if someone can pay $40k for a Prius, I don't see how BMW will have ANY trouble selling all off these cars.

The i3 is cool but it's the i8 that will cause quite a stir in the automotive world when it gets released in mid July. That is the car I really want to test drive
__________________
04 GPW/Onyx NSX
05 AW B5 s4
09 GPW s2000
10 Suzuka Grey R8 v10
*Gone, but not forgotten: (gt3/m3) http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=203205
s4play is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2014, 09:22 PM   #7
bozola
Unloved BMW Addict
 
bozola's Avatar
 
Drives: 128, Z3 Coupe, 318Ti * 2
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: King County WA

Posts: 1,167
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [5.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [5.00]
2008 128i  [4.50]
I want one.
__________________
2008 128 Montego Blue/Premium/Sport/Cold/Step/Paddles/iPod/Xenons/Rubber/Rear Fogs/Performance Exhaust/E92 Sway
bozola is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-25-2014, 10:22 AM   #8
mrbelk
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 335i/6MT
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Alpharetta, GA

Posts: 207
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommolog View Post
Interesting you say that because I was told the i3 has a lower center of gravity than a 3-Series. I guess the M# is even lower than a regular 3-Series though. Where did you get the exact figures for the CoG to compare them if you don't mind?

I think many people expect it will not have a low CoB because it's a relatively tall, boxy car. But they don't realize the heaviest part of the car, the battery pack it at and even a little below the axle line. The top of the car is all CFRP and plastic.
The chief technician at an i3 preview event I attended in Atlanta told us during his little "tech talk" before we went out to drive them.

Oh, and we want one too.

-MrB
__________________
(ED 5/11/13) '13 328i M-Sport Estoril Blue II/Black, Trip Journal
(ED 5/25/10) '11 335i M-Sport Le Mans Blue/Oyster, Trip Journal
(ED 5/7/07) '07 335i/6sp TiAg/Lemon, Trip Journal
(ED 4/28/04) '04 545i Silver Gray/Beige
mrbelk is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-01-2014, 12:02 PM   #9
remcoy
Registered
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: LA

Posts: 2
iTrader: (0)

A high H-point is what you might be referring too.. That's different than the center of gravity
remcoy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-01-2014, 09:51 PM   #10
Chunner
Lieutenant
 
Chunner's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 135is | Beast #341/586
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New York City

Posts: 411
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I think I want one too!
__________________
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586
2013 BMW X3 xDrive28i, Deep Blue, Prem, Tech
Gone: 2013 135i Coupe, Min Grey, Savanna, Prem, Tech, DCT, Power Kit V2 - RIP BEAST... "im Vaterland wiedergeboren"
Chunner is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-05-2014, 04:44 PM   #11
bozola
Unloved BMW Addict
 
bozola's Avatar
 
Drives: 128, Z3 Coupe, 318Ti * 2
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: King County WA

Posts: 1,167
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [5.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [5.00]
2008 128i  [4.50]
Just drove one. I want one.. but will wait until next year, such that I can get a sunroof....
__________________
2008 128 Montego Blue/Premium/Sport/Cold/Step/Paddles/iPod/Xenons/Rubber/Rear Fogs/Performance Exhaust/E92 Sway
bozola is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-05-2014, 06:02 PM   #12
tiburonh
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 X3
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: California

Posts: 158
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4play View Post
A little background, we have a hybrid in the stable (CT200h) and I've driven the Tesla at length on various drives (40+ miles into the city and back) and I have to say BMW's first crack at a electric vehicle is pretty good.

Recently there was an open house event so I got a chance to see/drive the new i3. The color was a really unique 2-tone black upper and lower burnt orange color. I think this car would look really cool with the white/black scheme. First thing I noticed were the wheels were extremely large almost blade like, I think they were 19's. We are not actually looking for another EV car but just wanted to check out this new ride from BMW.

Interior room looks tight because of the way the rear doors look but once you get past the lines, it's actually quite roomy opened up. They open like my Tacoma extend cab. The rear door swings back so suicide door so makes getting in and out really easy.

Once we hopped in, I knew my wife will immediately notice the african wood trim and the dual sunroof openings ~ she does not like sun and I do so the shades can be closed individually. There are dual LCD's, an odd START button that is hidden behind the right side of the steering wheel and an even more odd shifter for P, D, R. The middle LCD is for NAV and the BMW traditional iDrive is where it normally is except this one functions way more intuitive than the one in my M3. Plus the display is 10x better that what the e90 has!

When we took off, it's absolutely silent as most electrics cars are supposed to be but I noticed the car has heavy braking the minute the gas is left off, no coasting here! It accelerates pretty hard and turns good. It's definitely not a sports car, I can only imagine how good the i8 will be when it comes out.

Acceleration is quite strong and the car feels nimble, although center of gravity feels a bit high (like a small RAV4 type SUV). The car makes you think you are driving a SMART car but it's actually much larger, I an easily see a family of 4 going out in this thing. The dash cluster is really simple, two LCD's supply all of the information. One thing I like is there is a central button that activates some sort of vehicle collision avoidance system. I don't know what it does exactly or what it's called but it seems to be a 360 radar type system with alerts anytime someone is nearby, pretty cool

We did not get to go on the highway but at speeds up to 50mph around town, this thing really scoots. I love the open air concept and the car has virtually no blindspots. It's so quiet I told the sales guy it's almost like riding in a hot air balloon.

He said MSRP starts at $42k and they only have about 70 allocated this year. It's a very cool car and I suspect it will be quite popular. Sure beats driving a Nissan Leaf or Prius around. I'm going to take my wife back for a second test drive. I love high HP cars but these new electrics are really making a name for themselves!


cheers!

Totally agree re how great the car is. Two points of clarification:

1. Those are the 20" wheels

2. Even though BMW included the sunroof in the US demo models, they are actually not going to offer the sunroof in the US.
tiburonh is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-05-2014, 07:09 PM   #13
bozola
Unloved BMW Addict
 
bozola's Avatar
 
Drives: 128, Z3 Coupe, 318Ti * 2
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: King County WA

Posts: 1,167
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [5.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [5.00]
2008 128i  [4.50]
My sales manager says roof are on the way..
__________________
2008 128 Montego Blue/Premium/Sport/Cold/Step/Paddles/iPod/Xenons/Rubber/Rear Fogs/Performance Exhaust/E92 Sway
bozola is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 AM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST