First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ View Post
You are correct what was done in my case is not a cookie cutter deal that everyone else can do.. Then again the longest we keep a car in the family is 2-4 years and we usually have multiple cars around and if a car is lucky we will put 7,000-10k miles on it a year.

But as for lease vs purchase? umm What freedoms do I give up? With MB and BMW I see lease as an advantage since the lease deals they give unrealistic residual values. And if I wanted to I could mod my car but I would have to return it back to the original specs but then again when you mod your car you always keep the OEM party around the house and end up putting them back on the car and selling the after market stuff anyways since you get no value for it when you trade the car in.
to your first paragraph: exactly, I'm sure you properly evaluated YOUR situation and it's right for you, I did not question that. I questioned you essentially calling anybody who doesn't lease "stupid", because you HOPE to make 10% on some fund (which, by the way, is around 6.5% after taxes, assuming normal income rates and high income, but I don't know the tax structure).

to your second paragraph: I have never leased, but WHAT? you don't think you give up some flexibility with a lease? how about if you exceed the mileage and have to pay high fees? how about if you grossly UNDER predict yoru mileage, and end up paying for a depreciation schedule that you did not use? how about if your life situation changes and you want to get out of the car after 6 months? how about the fact that they can charge you if you scratch up the car a bit? I could go on and on. and I am NOT saying leasing isn't good, but you asked a question, and I am answering it. however I have never leased, these are all stories I have heard from others, so I will not stand behind these assertions like I will for my financial modeling
Appreciate 0