View Single Post
      09-11-2012, 02:12 AM   #13
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I've been wanting to jump in here because I have similar questions, but I just finished vacation and was traveling Saturday and catching up yesterday and today.

A little history on my 2006 Z4 M Roadster: I purchased it from a BMW dealer in July with 31,700 miles on it. Between the BMW Service History and information that I've gotten from the original owner (a former ZPost member), the car was manufactured on 4/18/06 and it's in-service date was 8/31/06. The original owner bought the car as a new car demo on 7/6/07 with 98 miles on it. The 1200 mile service was done on 7/27/07 at 1186 miles.

The second oil change was done 18 months later on 1/13/09 at 10,804 miles. A low mileage annual oil change was also done 14 months later on 3/19/10 at 17,769 miles. This is the last entry in the BMW Vehicle History. The car went out of warranty on either 8/31/10 or 7/7/11 (not sure which date applies for the 4 year warranty). The previous owner said that after the car was out of warranty he had the oil changed by a BMW tech off the books on weekends, so there are no additional official oil changes in the service history. He said the last oil change was done in November, 2011. It probably had around 30,000 miles on it then. I don't know if an oil change was done between 3/19/10 and November 2011. The original owner has confirmed that Inspection I was not done in November, which is apparently the last time he had any service done on the car. (The original owner appears to have been somewhat lax on getting even the free annual oil changes and skipped the first important maintenance because the car was out of warranty. He also apparently rode his motorcycle probably more than he drove the Z4 MR and he didn't autocross or track the car. He traded in the Z4 MR on a 135i in June after he got married and was given the choice between the Z4 MR or the bike.)

I have all of the original manuals from the car, including the Z4 Driver's Reference Guide, the Z4 Owner's Manual, the Z4 M Supplemental Manual, and the Service and Warranty Information booklet. Maintenance is mentioned in the Z4 Owner's Manual on page 47 and refers to the Service Interval Display which indicates whether Oil Service or Inspection is due next. It is also mentioned on page 91 and refers to the Service and Warranty Information booklet. It is also mentioned in the Z4 M Supplemental Manual and mentions the 1200 mile service.

The Service and Warranty Information booklet has a list of maintenance items to be done at Engine Oil Service, Inspection I, and Inspection II. A valve adjustment is not mentioned for either Inspection I or Inspection II.

However, everyone points to the PDF that jmillet posted as the reference for maintenance which includes a valve adjustment for Inspection I and Inspection II under Engine Compartment and is obviously an official BMW document for 2007 and 2008 M Roadsters and Coupes. So my questions are similar to strokeofluck's: Was this just missing in the 2006 Service booklet (and apparently the 2007 booklet)? Why doesn't this document mention 2006 M Roadsters and Coupes, as the S54 engines are identical? Sorry if the experienced Z4 M owners have already figured this out but I've researched this considerably and can't seem to find any answers. My BMW mechanic, also the President of our local BMW CCA chapter, says that the S54 engines need a valve adjustment every 30,000 miles.

I currently have 33,400 miles on the car and the next service is shown as Oil Service in 5250 miles.

So, my other questions:
  • Should I have a valve adjustment done ASAP or is it possible that it just hasn't come up as a service item yet? I can do all other items scheduled for Inspection I and already have the engine air filter and cabin air filter.
  • Should I change the oil now? I'm planning on changing the oil myself when it's due next and plan to change it at 5,000 or 7,500 mile intervals, or at least once a year. The oil looks clean and is still relatively light in color.
I'll be using the car as my regular transportation, but I'm retired so daily driver is meaningless, as well as monthly autocrosses.

Any further information and/or recommendations are appreciated!

Appreciate 0