01-02-2006, 02:02 PM   #16
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
This pandering attitude (although it makes you feel better about how kind and sensitive you are) is part of the problem. Years ago, fat people were openly ridiculed and there were fewer fat people. Ridicule is a powerful motivator - and that is all these people lack - motivation and self control.

Our society has gone straight to hell with this attitude that everything you can possibly imagine is a disorder and it's not the individual's fault. Horse shit. I'm not suggesting that fat people need be targeted and ridiculed, but neither do they deserve my pity or my help - especially at the expense of my tax dollars. If you're fat - eat less - you'll lose weight.

Also, just as a point of fact - all of our bodies are addicted to food. None of us can sustain life without food and water. People with mental addictions just need some control. Suck it up! Yeah, you'll be hungry for awhile. Get over it.
Yea we used to feel this way about people with mental illnesses (like depression) until we found that there is actually a physical cause for these emotions and then we were able to help people to lead normal and productive lives. Should we go back to throughing them in cages untill they "get over it"?

BTW "addictions" are clearly shown to cause true physical changes in people. If you drink coffee, try to not drink any coffee for a week and see how you feel.

This is not a pandering attitude... Pandering is telling people they have a problem, but that's OK, you don't need to get help for it. I'm advocating helping people deal with their problem, not giving them an excuss to continue in the way they are... My problem are with people we don't want to help themselves, and with people who think this is only a "mental" problem... It's not. Do a little experiment: Take the amount of food you eat in a day and cut it in HALF for a week and see how you feel.... So you will be hungry for a while... Get over it!!!

We have identified eating disorders on the side where people eat too little and tried to help these people. Why can't they just "get over it and eat"?. Why not in the other direction??

I beleive in people having to help themselves and have no pity for anyone who is not willing to. On the other hand, we need to promote the mechanisms to help these people help themselves with sound scientific advice instead of just telling them to "get over it" and thowing $150 "diet" pills at them....
Appreciate 0