01-02-2006, 03:22 PM   #19
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by espo89
Yea we used to feel this way about people with mental illnesses (like depression) until we found that there is actually a physical cause for these emotions and then we were able to help people to lead normal and productive lives. Should we go back to throughing them in cages untill they "get over it"?

BTW "addictions" are clearly shown to cause true physical changes in people. If you drink coffee, try to not drink any coffee for a week and see how you feel.

This is not a pandering attitude... Pandering is telling people they have a problem, but that's OK, you don't need to get help for it. I'm advocating helping people deal with their problem, not giving them an excuss to continue in the way they are... My problem are with people we don't want to help themselves, and with people who think this is only a "mental" problem... It's not. Do a little experiment: Take the amount of food you eat in a day and cut it in HALF for a week and see how you feel.... So you will be hungry for a while... Get over it!!!

We have identified eating disorders on the side where people eat too little and tried to help these people. Why can't they just "get over it and eat"?. Why not in the other direction??

I beleive in people having to help themselves and have no pity for anyone who is not willing to. On the other hand, we need to promote the mechanisms to help these people help themselves with sound scientific advice instead of just telling them to "get over it" and thowing $150 "diet" pills at them....
...and don't even get me started on "depressed" people. Everyone is depressed nowdays. The drug companies are making billions on depression. What they need is to have some friends and family that can support them and to realize that sometimes life is hard. No one wants that. Boo hoo.

I don't over eat, so me cutting my food intake in half is not the same as some whale doing it. Even so, I don't suggest that drastic a measure. It's like anything else - you make gradual changes and continue to increase those changes so that it becomes a different way of feeling "normal".

Designer ailments and "syndromes" are the byproduct of a society with too much free time and too much wealth. To me, and eating disorder means you have a physical problem with your esophagus or stomach - not that you don't know how much to eat.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0