01-31-2014, 10:33 PM   #89
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by E9TOU View Post
So glad that Honda and McLaren are teaming up again.

Why is one of the "prongs" on the lotus longer than the other? Gah those front ends are going to make for some bad jokes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I was wondering the same thing. I could see some asymetry for NASCAR or Indy where they only turn in one direction but it doesn't make much sense to me for an F1 car.
If one is longer than the other then, I believe, only one needs to be considered a nose tip/crash structure and so is compliant with the regs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post

McLaren suspension blocks.

The McLaren team has attached a large aerodynamically-profiled "blocker" to each of the rearmost suspension links of its new MP4-29. This concept is designed both to give more downforce at low speed and reduce drag at high speed.

These blockers must be part of the suspension itself, but there is a very fine line between an independent shroud, which would be illegal, and something that is all one part and I'm sure that McLaren has ensured it complies with the rules. This appears to meet all requirements of the regulations in terms of location and structure.

These aerodynamically profiled parts act as devices to block the airflow coming out of the "Coke bottle" area when it gets to the back of the diffuser. It creates an area of low pressure behind these blockers and this then increases the velocity of the airflow travelling underneath the car, generating more downforce from the underfloor. The rear beam wing previously did this job, but the 2014 regulations have banned that so teams are looking for new ways to make up for it.

The interesting thing about this package is that when the car is at higher ride height, these sections will almost completely close the gap at the top of the diffuser, helping it to work at low speed. At higher speed, because of suspension deflection, a gap will open up between the bottom of the lower blocker and the diffuser, which will reduce drag.....
FIA regs, 10.3.5 to be exact, say "There may be no more than six suspension members connecting each suspension upright to the fully sprung part of the car" While nowhere near an expert - nor will I ever claim to be, this does not really appear compliant based on this one rule alone. And IF it is, they shouldn't have shown such an innovative design so early and given other teams a chance to adopt it.

http://www.fia.com/sites/default/fil...2013-12-09.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Personally I prefer the look of Mercedes W05....

But RB10 is not bad since they try to camouflage the "nose" in black....
I agree the W05 is very nice, probably the best. Believe it or not, the Lotus is growing on me, perhaps its the color scheme more than anything else. W05, RB10 then E22 for me.

Last edited by 954Stealth; 01-31-2014 at 10:40 PM..
Appreciate 0