07-14-2015, 04:07 AM   #6
ShinySteelRobot
iPhone/iPad Developer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Don't forget that UK uses the Imperial Gallon, so reduce by 20% and their highway testing is less rigid, so probably trim another little bit off. Figure in US tests, the 25d would likely by mid to high 30's. Not exactly useful when you factor in higher diesel costs here.
Good point about imperial vs US gallons, forgot about that, thanks for pointing that out.

As of this writing the national average price for diesel is $2.81, and for the premium gas needed by the X1 B48 28i engine is $3.18.

Based on those prices, even if the mileage of the 25d diesel versus 28i gasoline engine is the same, the diesel will still be 11% cheaper to run. We'll know more when actual EPA mileage figures are released by BMW NA, but it's a fairly safe bet the diesel engine will get better mileage than the gas engine, making the diesel option possibly 15% to 20% cheaper to run, per mile, when the lower price and better mileage is factored in.

Better mileage means the range of the 25d will be better than the 28i, too, so less stopping to refuel on long trips.

All of that while having essentially the same dynamic performance. The 28i will undoubtably be great, but I'd probably still get the diesel anyway, if only BMW NA would give us the option.

Last edited by ShinySteelRobot; 07-14-2015 at 04:56 AM..
Appreciate 0