09-05-2015, 04:27 PM   #22
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
He was certainly highly regarded in his sport and he was quite talented. Not sure if he is THE biggest start though, hard to tell. We've got a few guys in the NBA, Formula 1 driver, Moto GP rider, our cricket team and a few others.

Rugby League is really only played in the two major eastern states of Australia (New South Wales and Queensland) but it is arguably the most popular football code we have. The pinnacle of the sport is State of Origin where the two states play off against each other and it is probably the most brutal game of football you can ever watch. Jarryd was a star in those games!

I'm not sure you can compare anyone to Jordan? The difference we have is we are only a fairly small population (23 million) so any time someone "makes it big" it is a big news story.

I think everyone if hooked on the romance of it all. A guy from the Antipodeans who has never played the game before, a big name in a small country, and he is doing pretty well. Good luck to him, still can't support the 49ers though.
That makes sense. I assume the Antipodeans are in the boondocks.
I understand you can't root for them.
Appreciate 1