View Single Post
      10-30-2015, 05:47 AM   #2
rap427
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i8

Garage List
I really don't think there are any real issues. It is basically a high tech car that works in its space. Several things (in my opinion) are driving this. First BMW decided to take a limited production, exotic car (which they had told the world) and mass produce it because their i3 failed to meet expectations. As on all cars like this buyers buy them initially and do not have to be sold them. Second, they are an attention grabber, not really that fast, are a bit hard to get in and out of and the new has worn off. Initially "car guys" had to have one and that need was filled. They are now moving on. Now BMW has to figure out how to sell a $150k car to the typical $150k car buyer and it would appear the buyer is making other choices. The new Porsche, NSX, Mclaren, BMW M4 GTS, R8, etc are all competing in this space and BMW is making too many i8's. If you remember the real estate crash in '07-'08 while there were other factors it started with over production.
I watch Cars.com every day now. When I started again a few weeks back there was around 400 for sale new and now there's 476, another 100 or so pre-owned and the '16's are around the corner. In fact in Sept/'14 on Cars.com I watched the volume of sale cars go from single digits at real stupid prices to what is is today. Stupid is gone because there are 500+ for sale. If you have played in the high end car market it has never been hard to find low miles,no miles Porsche's, Ferrari's, Mclaren's, Astons etc. lots of guys want it bad for a month or so and then goodby. In fact a relatively new Ferrari gets killed if it has more than 1000 miles on the clock .
A great car impacted by good ole greed. And if Honda had 10,000 Accords on the ground I doubt they would be concerned. All of us that buy cars for reasons other than transportation get bit, just get used to it.
Appreciate 0