03-03-2016, 11:48 AM   #52
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Then why even be dating someone...? You know?
Marriage is nothing more than a religious ceremony and/or a tax concern. Marriage does not benefit you in any way, shape, or form (Other than to fit into society/religion/culture or for tax/legal reasons).

If you make a public showing of your proposal... thats awesome but as with all choice items... you have a chance at multiple outcomes. In this case you have a 50/50 chance of getting the answer you were "hoping" to get. Now regardless of the answer you got at that moment in time, the only thing that makes sense for "most" intelligent people is to "say yes" in the beginning and then later you can always back out gracefully... but not everyone is intelligent... some folks are really slow on the uptake.

Either way it's a win/win if you ask me... guy asks girl to marry him... girl says no... okay well then that is a discussion point to see why goals were not in line and what happened. Then you have a way to move forward with goals... otherwise nothing happens.

To me the bigger question is... why are diamonds (an item that is in a never ending source of creation) are so expensive and why it is something associated to marriages?

Linky --> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engagement_ring
"In 1938, the diamond cartel De Beers began a marketing campaign that would have a major impact on engagement rings. During the Great Depression of the 1930s, the price of diamonds collapsed. At the same time, market research indicated that engagement rings were going out of style with the younger generation. While the first phase of the marketing campaign consisted of market research, the advertising phase began in 1939. One of the first elements of this campaign was to educate the public about the 4 Cs (cut, carats, color, and clarity). In 1947 the slogan "a diamond is forever" was introduced. Ultimately, the De Beers campaign sought to persuade the consumer that an engagement ring is indispensable, and that a diamond is the only acceptable stone for an engagement ring."

Sounds like a lot of suckers to me.
Appreciate 2