View Single Post
      11-23-2016, 09:28 AM   #87
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 458, BMW i8, Acura NSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by WI_Rob View Post
I was on the team that provided one of the paint systems for the NSX plant. I've spent time with the NSX manufacturing team. I was recently through the plant again and I've seen how it really operates. I can tell you that everything about the car takes the best practices from Honda as a company and elevates them several steps.

Photos don't do the NSX justice. Anyone who spends time with the car will know what I mean. It's beautiful, regardless of the badge, but it will perform reliably for its owners for many many years because of the design mindset that's behind the H (or A in this case). The Honda team hit it out of the park with the NSX.
Nice post. Allow me to explain my issues with the NSX in more detail. I want to note that some of these gripes are personal and not objective.

First, the interior. I owned 3 straight Acura MDX SUVs. My 2011 had a nice interior, in my opinion. My 2014, I truly despised the interior. Cheap plastic. Cheap leather. Bad infotainment. So bad I left Acura and went to Volvo. The XC90 is leagues above Acura in terms of interior design and quality. The NSX has many carryover parts from the MDX. It felt a lot like my MDX just with a different design. That turned me off a lot.

Second, the steering is set up too conservative, it wouldn't be awful in the street, but on the track (and yes I belong to thermal I would track the car) it would be odd. I pushed it just enough to on the street to tell how understeery (not a word I know) it is. It's almost like Acura went 90% of the way there with the car and got scared and stopped short of true torque vectoring.

Third, the sound. Well it's rubbish. This car would replace my 458 (not really a a BMW i8 competitor in my mind). The 458 sounds delicious. It really does make your hairs stand on end.

At the of the day, it lacked the specialness and visceral nature I would need in a 458 replacement. Also, not to sound like a snob, but there isn't any comparison from a prancing his staring at you from the steering wheel to an Acura badge.

I would give Acura a massive pat on the back if the car had came out in 2014 or 2015. But they worked on it for sooo long and revealed it way too early that the tech does not feel as special as it should.

Again, a lot of this is my personal feelings on the car. They may not reflect others opinions. If you disagree or even buy one I congratulate you and wish you all the happiness in the world.
Appreciate 3
WI_Rob93.50
MKSixer34192.50
psedog482.50