View Single Post
      06-13-2017, 09:42 AM   #21
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Motivated View Post
Guys, it comes down to this. Established car companies are in the business to make money. CEOs are judged on their ability to make money. They lose their jobs when they don't. Tesla investors currently don't care if they make money because they are fanboys. Any of the OEMs could make a car that would best a Model X or Model S in technology and fit and finish if their respective CEOs wanted to sign up to lose thousands per car. They want to keep their jobs so they don't.
This is only partially correct.
While all public companies and their officers are legally obligated to maximize shareholder revenue, investing in EVs is another way of achieving that in the long term.

GM is loosing ~$9K/Bolt to earn ZEV credits in Cali and Oregon (aka "compliance cars"), and many other OEMs are following "compliance car" path as well (Fiat, Hyundai, etc).

However, none of them have the technology or competence to match, let alone best, Tesla in self driving tech.
Not even close, including BMW.

Quote:
Tesla loses assloads of money selling their cars at the price they sell them for. I've seen elsewhere on this site a statement their gross margins exceed other established OEMs which is pure fanboy BS.
This is false.
Tesla's gross margin has been in 2x% range )18%-29%) for the past 16 quarters. These are the #s that only Porsche can come close to matching (target 15% gross margins):
http://marketrealist.com/2017/05/why...xpand-in-1q17/
https://ycharts.com/companies/TSLA/gross_profit_margin

Tesla's, net margins (net of investments into plan in equipment, and Satisfactory) are negative. But that is because it chooses to reinvest the profits into its own PP&E. Tesla's assets have grown from $1 Billion to $16 Billion US dollars in 4 years, mostly representing investment into Gigafactory and plant upgrades in Fremont. That investment is what fuels future growth.

If you disagree with the data, please share your sources, and please keep the emotions in check.

Quote:
It's pretty simple... engine/transmission combos are on the order of $2.5k. 60 kWh battery packs and motor combos are about $14k right now. You can't add $12k in content to a vehicle and sell it at a price that makes money.
And how do you know that?
Are you Tesla's CFO? or GM's?

Quote:
That's why you don't currently see the OEMs coming out with nifty products with great performance, range, fit and finish and at an affordable price.
That's false as well.
See Bolt and Ioniq that came out within last 6 months. Add Model 3 out within a month.
More to come from MB and VW, in pass.

All are nifty, all have greater range than i3, all are priced in $3*.xxx range.

Just not BMW.

a
Appreciate 0