06-05-2018, 03:53 AM   #18
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDave View Post
Can you continue to drive vehicle with bad gas tank sensor or do you have to replace it? I head that is a costly repair without warranty,
There are a few threads about the gas tank sensor - is your problem where you can't open the flap to get the fuel cap off?

If so, general opinion is that it's not really a problem although you will need to manually override the flap when refueling.

Talking to my service department, the system has a stainless steel tank and pressure could build up in the tank meaning the fuel cap could come off with some force when you refuel - hence the sensor and computer check before allowing you to get to the cap.

Personally I would have it fixed but I don't believe it's really a problem - just bear in mind possible pressure build up when taking the fuel cap off, maybe manually release every half tank as well if you don't fill up often.

You're right about the cost, the repair will be expensive (tank out, bleed coolant etc. etc.), mine was done under warranty, I'd be surprised if it wasn't $1000 to $2000.