07-03-2018, 03:23 PM   #866
F30inthe6ix
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 BMW 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph335 View Post
Getting rid of sandpaper guys and replacing it with actual talent will always make your team better. Good move by Dubas.

Orpik? He's OLD. There's a reason he got dumped by Washington.
There's other defensemen out there. What about say, Justin Faulk out of Carolina?
I know he's old, but he's an experienced vet with a few Cups who didn't even look out of place during Washington's championship season last year. I think for the Caps it was more about clearing cap space, but I'd give him a one year deal at the very least.

Faulk would be an alright pickup. To be honest with you, I really wanted us to somehow finesse Slaavin out of Carolina prior to the long-term deal he signed last summer. Not as high on Faulk as I am on him, but Carolina seems to love bringing in former Leafs, so there's a chance Dubas could get it done no doubt.

I wouldn't even mind if the Leafs just played some of our own young d more. Travis Dermott is going to be a heck of a player, and Justin Holl was impressive during his call-up stint last season. I'd much rather see either of them play extra minutes versus Babcock throwing Zaitsev and Gardiner out there constantly...