Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
3000 miles into i3 ownership, here are my complaints:
-I strongly dislike iDrive. It's super inefficient and distracting to get to anything. I'm going to do the retrofit CarPlay module largely so I can stop using it.
-there's no next track button on the steering wheel. If you want to go to the next track, without taking your hands off the wheel, the procedure is click in scroll wheel, turn down one (with poor tactile feedback) on the cluster list, click in a second time... and then it fails 1 time in 5. Instead I end up reaching for the head unit next track button, which is far enough away that I have to take my eyes off the road to look at it every time. Terrible removal-- next track is easily the most used buttons on the steering wheels on my other cars.
-the door pocket sticks out too far from the door and hits my leg
-EPS remains EPS
-no Michelin tire option
-94mph top speed is frustrating almost every time I drive it
-no regen when the battery is full makes for an inconsistent driving experience-- when I leave the neighborhood, the car drives/brakes distinctly differently than every other time I'm driving it.
-stock high beams are garbage (maybe not for MY2019+, when they changed them to biLED, but mine only had LED lowbeams). I've swapped the halogen highs for LED reflector housing highs, but haven't had a chance to drive it in the dark since then... we'll see. I'm not super optimistic.
-comfort access: when the car is on, the buttons on the fob should be non functional. The number of times I've popped the trunk because I shifted position in the seat, and my pants hit the pop trunk button, is asinine.
-comfort access: why the fuck am I still carrying a key around? My phone and/or watch should be able to handle all the comfort access functionality ala Tesla. Thankfully it doesn't use the "upgraded" key from some of their other cars:

Overall I'm enjoying it. Interestingly, the things I dislike about it the most (comfort access, steering wheel controls, and iDrive) are non i3 specific, general modern BMW issues.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport

Last edited by Obioban; 06-13-2019 at 06:16 AM..
Appreciate 0