View Single Post
      03-09-2020, 06:57 PM   #100
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
I agree. I think the feel of a manual shifter is important because that is your actual connection to the drivetrain and you are executing those shifts. The quality of the shift relies on how it feels in your hand and your left foot.

But a DCT is an automatic transmission. You put it in D and you go. Or you use the paddles or the shifter to shift up and down but it's purely electronic. What you do with your hands doesn't physically correlate to anything in the transmission. That's why I'm confused why someone with a DCT thinks the feel is so important when they've already abandoned the car with the most feel, the manual transmission.
Imagine pulling a paddle to down shift and it takes a half second for the car to respond to your input. Then imagine with another transmission the cars responds to your input instantly. Which one do you think feels better? I find that things that don't respond to my inputs instantly annoy the fucking shit out of me. That's true of a user interface on a touch screen, in a video game, a remote control, and in a car.

If I was in the market for a g87 I'll probably prefer the MT this time so it does what I want when I want and I feel something. The zf8 just makes me wonder what the car is thinking when it doesn't respond instantly, and the smooth shifts makes me feel that much more disconnected from the car. At that point the upsides of an auto no longer outweighs the downsides of the MT to me. I'll take the inconvenience, the boost loss, the higher gas consumption, and higher cruising rpm of the MT over the sloppy input response disconnected feel of zf8. Also might as well get a MT new while I still can, as it will someday go the way of the DCT.
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4062.50