2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
There are many studies that conclude that a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle uses 2-3x the energy to drive the same distance vs. BEV. Volkswagen has a very thorough study published driven by data:
https://www.volkswagenag.com/en/news...-question.html
Although it sounds like you've made your mind up already; to me, it sounds like it would be interesting to see people weigh their options... A FCEV using 2-3x more energy (includes losses at the production level) to drive the same distance; versus having 10x(!) advantage of energy-to-weight over BEV, with much greater range, and all-climate range stability. Additionally, what type of refueling works for them... A homeowner charging at their home; or a rental/apartment dweller filling the tank at a local hydrogen refueling station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
You assume that hydrogen fueling stations will be as ubiquitous as gasoline stations. Even today, electric car fueling stations are nowhere near that, as such fueling will have to be augmented somewhere i.e. your home. Ask anyone who has experienced the convenience of "refueling" at home... there is no joy in going to a gas station. Plugging in overnight and waking up to 100% range when you want to is a terrific convenience.
The failure in your assumption is that every buyer CAN charge at home. As a life-long NY-Metro resident, this seems like an obvious glaring omission. I guess I should give this a pass because some people just can't grasp this concept... But it is very real. There are literally millions of Metro-NY residents that will never have an ability to charge at their home. Further, many NYC residents mainly rely on mass transit, so they only buy a single car that is mostly used for extended trips. These buyers would be greatly motivated to stay in an ICE vehicle. I see the FCEV as a potentially-realistic option for them.

I see this as one of those situations where more options are better. The BEV devotees shouldn't feel threatened, as I see FCEVs as mostly picking away ICE buyers.

Last edited by Dog Face Pony Soldier; 03-31-2020 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13743.50