View Single Post
      06-10-2020, 05:20 PM   #340
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Did you give the Eufy cameras a try? I like the thought of this system using its own storage rather than a cloud subscription service. It looks like Eufy also allows RTSP to record the video to NAS systems as well, which would be useful.
I'll chime in on the Ring system since we have 6 devices installed, including the Ring doorbell, Floodlight Cam, and wireless indoor Stick Up cams.

The Ring interface is nice, as is the tie-in with the neighborhood watch program. But I have one gripe, and I would caution you to research it: when you get an alert for motion, or the doorbell rings, it takes a long time to "activate" the camera into a live view. So by the time you get the live stream going, the person or thing that set off the event is long gone from view. This is a unique issue - and does not apply to capturing motion recordings. I'll explain.

The system does an excellent job of capturing motion and sending HD recordings of that event to the cloud, where you can later retrieve that recording for viewing, so it's not like the camera takes too long to begin recording - it's only when you want to instantly go live to a particular camera that is delayed and frustrating.

For other reasons, I recently upgraded my home WiFi to the Orbi mesh network (using 3 satellites), but I had the Ring system in place using my old Linksys unit. Same issue in both scenarios. My signal strength on all cameras, indoor and out as measured by the Ring app is very good...it seems to be a common and persistent issue among many Ring users regardless of signal strength. I've tried viewing over my WiFi as well as cellular networks, and also downloaded and tried the "Ring Lite" app.

The app receives frequent updates and tech support is generally really good too. YMMV....
Appreciate 0