View Single Post
      12-16-2020, 05:33 AM   #72
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
A College Education is not just about the degree and potential jobs, it is the process of learning, thinking and solving problems. Then you factor in the emotional and social development one goes through and how it brings you from a young person to an adult.

I did not have the opportunity to finish my education and it's one of my greatest regrets. You can be successful in your job but a degree will give you more opportunities in life. The direction our country is going in now, there will be chances to be reimbursed for tuition or greatly reduced. Do it while you are single and have few bills or you'll never do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qba335i View Post
+1

My brother went to law school and currently finishing his PhD. He works in a tech startup. He says that 3 years in law school showed him how to think and analyze things. He never intended to practice law.
I 100% disagree with the above. I agree more with pennsiveguy below. The drive to learn and the ability to problem solve are skills that someone either has or doesn't. Yes, some of the mechanics can be taught or learned. But overall, it's a trait similar to people who are musically inclined. You can teach someone to play an instrument but can they PLAY the instrument?

I've used the example of a girl I knew in college that was a straight A student studying EE. Could she analyze the crap out of a circuit diagram? Sure. Could she apply that to something so simple as to resetting a circuit breaker? Nope/fail.

The other side of the extreme. I have a friend that used to be a ASE Master Tech. Owned a repair shop for a while. The guy was brilliant around diagnosing electrical and computer systems in modern cars. Attended college but dropped out. Dealerships would send their problem child cars to him to fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
I went to college back when college was a place where smart kids like me got to hone their intellects to a fine edge, so that they could then apply them to real-world problems.

Nowadays college is the very opposite of that. It's a cesspool of moral relativism, Post-Modern indoctrination, and the complete rejection of the very notion of truth.

I no longer hire college graduates - ever - unless a particular candidate presents him/herself as a compelling exception. I run a company which produces software, which is nothing more than building useful and well-thought-out things out of logical Lego blocks, with rigorous attention to detail and business logic. I need people with clear heads who accept no dogma and question everything. The notion that "We do things this way, because this is the way we do things" is an abomination in our business model.

University graduates are generally ill-suited to our operations. They've been indoctrinated to conform. I have zero respect for someone who thinks they should conform to my ideas merely because I'm the boss. Someone who's got balls enough to say to me "Yeah, well that's a horseshit idea because..." instantly has my attention.
Appreciate 0