vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I've used the example of a girl I knew in college that was a straight A student studying EE. Could she analyze the crap out of a circuit diagram? Sure. Could she apply that to something so simple as to resetting a circuit breaker? Nope/fail.
I have seen a similar example. Older woman coming back to school as a math major. Straight A student from calculus on up in her math classes. Took Physics 101 in her senior year...and FAILED...miserably! All the math classes in the world are useless if you have problems applying units to your answers.

I've got similar issues with colleagues at work. Four year degrees in CompSci or IT, and can't troubleshoot a simple problem that doesn't involve rebooting. Did you check the logs? Do you understand what the logs are telling you? One of them in particular can kick the proverbial can down the road for weeks, calling tech support because he plugged a cable into the wrong port and never verified the basics.

Speaking of which, I need to go yell at a vendor now for majorly exceeding SLA over a failed SAN controller unit that has been kicked down the road for three weeks now with 120 TB of much-needed disk offline.....